348 Repair Tips page | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Repair Tips page

Discussion in '348/355' started by jvbjr, Aug 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  2. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Oh man, that's nice. It will be in the next update to go out. Thanks!

3. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    Why can't I open those pics ?
    Not "member" enough... ? : -(

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice update No Dout. I'm glad to see you also edited out some of the other stuff.

5. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    It's obvious a lot of work went into your site.
    An even more to share it!
    A heartfelt Thanks!

6. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    They also need a primer on pre-purchase inspections. Had I known how easy it is to disconnect the odometer on a 348, I would have been very leary because there was a significant gap in the paperwork on my car, even though it looked like a museum piece. Lucky for me it was still shod with it's original Bridgestones! Cracked and rock hard. 1991 to 2004 on the same tires. 11,700 miles.

7. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I've got a pre-purchase inspection template on there as a link already, but it doesn't (yet) mention that it is easy to disconnect the odometer.

Then again, people drive these cars so little that I have to wonder how much that's really done. Were people really buying $120,000 cars in 1995 and driving them with no speedometer?! That original purchase crowd was an entirely different mindset. For instance, my 348 had its Major Service timing belt change performed at the owner's expense while it was still under factory warranty (and at a mere 11,000 miles). That's just a different mentality than what the average Ferrari used car buyer is going to be doing.

Of course today, with the values about in half of the original sticker and with the Dollar being worth a bit less, too...you've got a different crowd buying these cars...as well as GPS units that give you a proper (actually, more accurate) speed reading. So for 348's today, I'd say that the odometer disconnect will be more of a factor than in the past.

How different is the used exotic mindset?! I saw no fewer than half of all of the 348's that I examined have problems such as being unregistered in state (i.e. hasn't paid sales taxes), no current license tag (to save on property taxes), with duplicate titles (i.e. to hide a salvage or stolen title), etc.

Autocheck.com caught two 348's that I was considering, pointing out that they **did** have actual odometer rollbacks from the state recorded mileage at vehicle inspections, registrations, etc. So even though it is easy to disconnect the odometer, those two were driving with the odometer connected and simply trying to get away with rolling back the mileage.

In today's techno-age, that sort of nonsense is going to be caught time and again.

8. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Has anyone bought a windshield or window glass from the reference posted on the website? ([email protected])

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Well, I kinda have a problem still....you added this section on the "OEM oil filter failure"....when it appears (and I admit I still have not confirmed) that the gentleman is using an older part number (130623) that has been superceded. In fact based on the number he gave, this may have been superceded twice. The anti-drain back valve/seal looks nothing like on the currently used Purflux oil filter, part number 197654. Your description of the problem implies the current filter is the problem, and it is not. And while the aftermarket filters he recommends may physically fit and appear to work normally, none of these filters are actually cross referenced to the Purflux part number, or recommended for use on a Ferrari by the manufacturers of these filters. Nor do these filters appear to have the proper standpipe, like the oem Purflux filter.

10. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Yes. I've actually got a modified version that just hasn't been posted yet that identifies his failed filter as the older, superceded part #, as well as mentions that the potential upgrade filters don't have the full height.

I also need to add your comments re: the proper standpipe.

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

ABSOLUTELY. 197654 is the *only* filter I'll sell for a 348 or 355. They're not cheap ($45), but the oil filter is such a critical component of the lubrication system, I can't imagine cheaping out or attempting to use a non-Ferrari recommendation.

Regardless of where you find 'em (and whoever has the best price), for the love of the brotherhood, use the RIGHT filters!

-Daniel

12. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    That's good because I bought my Purflux filter from you!

13. cossd

cossd Rookie

Nov 9, 2003
    Rugby England
    Full Name:
    Darren Coss
    Hi Guy's

Can anyone post a pic of the window guide adjuster, I can see the allen key bolts etc but cant see this adjuster anywhere.

Regards

Darren

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#39 Ricambi America, Aug 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Darron -

I think this is the picture you need, but let's wait for the other funk-soul-brothers to chime in too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    Darron, the adjuster is the black corner piece near the doorlock that sticks above your door...If you loosen the two allen bolts, it will loosen that triangle piece...do this with the window down...then, with the allen bolts loose, roll the window back up...this is the path that your window wants to take and will provide the least resistance thus a smoother glide...with the window up, re-tighten the two allen bolts to set it in place at that position.

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Couple things:
    1) I have been into Ferraris for 20+ years. I have never seen a standpipe that really works. You can prove it to yourself. Let the car sit for 1 week and then take the oil filter off. It will be dry and not contain any oil. I would love to have aftermarket sources of O filters that fit. Does anyone have any? The only requirement of a filter for a Ferrari is to be able to handle the higher oil pressures which really are not a problem unless start-up is in cold condiitions. I'll prove it to anyone too. I race my car only. You tell me a filter that fits with or w/o standpipe and I'll prove to you that under the most sever race conditions it will work fine. Someone just give me the filter name and number and I'll be the Fchat G-pig.

As to this page it is a good start. It should be retilted ad 348 repair tips page if that is what it is going to represent. I would not bother with giving credit just put a disclaimer that the material is plagarized from multiple sources and is unconfirmed but a good place to start. It is burden enough to set up such a page for us all to enjoy let alone credit each source. This is not Termpaper 101 so I for one say go ahead and plagarize anything I post.

17. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I followed your steps (and Ernie's) to the letter for my 348 passenger window. I couldn't discern any difference on the speed for rolling the window UP, but man, it truly made the window LOWER itself much, much faster!

18. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The 348 Tips Page has been updated today with:

348 Driving Report
    348 Euro Magazine Review
    2 348 sources of aftermarket, low-cost spark plug wires
    Changing your 348's Fuel Filters
    An updated section on checking your ABS ECU's two-digit error codes
    ...and the first-ever internet posting of the Ferrari 348's ABS error code factory descriptions.

The previous update added the Fat Billy Bob Brake Bleeding method, 348 Gearshift lever fix, and the Ernie/Tmobileguy window adjustment tip.

Needed updates:
    The FatBillyBob method of reducing clutch/tranny reciprocating weight by up to 8 pounds,
    A cruise-control installation pictorial,
    Rear decklid latch adjustment procedure,
    Passing lights "flash" feature repair tips,
    Euro exhaust cam setting re-indexing procedure,
    and others??

19. Dr. Fuelinstein

Sep 6, 2005
    To No Dought,
    Since I and my team of scientists are the formulators of Oxytane and you were brave enough to mention that Oxytane works in this forum. I have no dought that the participants here in this forum would actually like to know about why it works...Lee Hurley is a friend of mine and one of the best tuners in the USA. He was extemely skeptical about Oxytane when he heard about it. Another friend of mine here in California told Lee about Oxytane. His name is David Darge and he is also a world class engine tuner, also skeptic turned advocate.. Suffice to say we have a fuel problem that is corrected with simple physics. A little science can go a long way. Did you know that one US gallon of gasoline contains 117,000 BTU's if it is not oxygenated? Oxygenated gasoline , say E-10 has around 112,000 BTU's... The National Academy of Sciences say's" We use 12 to 20% of the available energy in the fuel to propel the vehicle... We lose more than we use. Lot's of room for improvement, wouldn't you say? If you or anyone else in this forum is really interested in this fuel science , let me know . I would be happy to forward on the science and other pertinent info.
    Buy the way , aside from the recorded improvement , Did you notice anything else?
    Fuelinstein

20. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I'd love to see the science behind Oxytane. I was under the impression that 90+% of our power came from the air, while less than 10% came from the fuel, so I was surprised to see that anyone had attempted to advance the power derived from the fuel...

...that people get more power out of the air (e.g. with NO2) seemed obvious. That's the big side of the curve. Even a very rich engine A/F is going to have more than 90% air, after all, as that would be an A/F ratio of 10:1 instead of 12.5 to 1 or the more lean stoichiometric rate of 14.7 to 1.

But Mr. Hurley said that Oxytane was getting a more complete A/F burn; less waste, more power (very similar to what you get by advancing your timing...but without advancing the timing), as measured on his dyno. I put my car there on his dyno to verify even that claim.

Did I notice anything else? No. I had one tank of gas that I had unusually good gas mileage on, but the second Oxytane tank was slightly less than my normal average mileage and the third was pretty much right on my average mileage. No big deal. I'll take the extra 6% power.

21. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The 348 Tips Page has been updated today with:

Aftermarket 348 Windshield sources
    Aftermarket 348 A/F ECU sources
    ECU cross reference chart for all known makes using Motronic 2.7, some Motronic 2.5, and some Motronic 5.2.

Yes, other auto manufactures dared used the IDENTICAL Bosch ECU's as Ferrari, too.

(hey, before today I didn't know that Hyundai and Peugeot used Bosch Motronic 2.7 ECU's or that the BMW 840i used the same Motronic 5.2 system as the 355)

22. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yeah but we get stiffed with the high price.

23. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Read post 18,26, and 28 from this thread : http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61228&page=1&pp=20

The answers are in there somewhere. Sad but true.....

John

24. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Very sad indeed

25. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    348 Repair Tips Page Updated to a 348 New Owner's Primer and Enthusiasts' Guide.

New Additions include:
    Upgrading from the stock 5 speed to an F355 6 speed transmission
    Additional Clutch Repair Tips
    Aftermarket Replacement Convertible Tops
    Upgrading Side Marker Lights to Flash With Blinkers
    348 Performance Upgrades (NOS, Twin Turbo, etc.)
    Pros and Cons of Non-Standard 30K Maintenance Tricks
    Valve Cover Gasket Replacement and Oil Leak Fixes
    Intake Removal
    One Fix For A Sticky Throttle
    Ferrari 348 and 355 rear hub bearing assembly pictorial replacement
    Improved 348 Radiator Cap
    Revised 348 Pre-Purchase Inspection Template