Hooked on Paddles.....!!! | FerrariChat

Hooked on Paddles.....!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Kds, Sep 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Well.......I have to admit it.......I am a worshipper of the "dark side" now.

I've just spent three days behind the wheel of a 2002 M3 cabriolet with the SMG transmission and I absolutely love it......tomorrow I'll be driving a 430 F1 spider for the first time and I can't wait. My previous Ferrari F1 experiences have been with the early 360's which were not the greatest IMHO.....but then again......

Don't get me wrong.....I have no complaints about "old fashioned" manual gearboxes.....but once you get the hang of the SMG (and I presume the newer generation of F1 gearboxes) you'll understand what I mean.

Unfortunately for me with my previous F1 equipped 360 test drives....and most Ferrari buyers I imagine......you are only offered a 10-15 minute test drive (if you're lucky that is) which is supposed to give you a qualified insight into the operation of the $150K+ car that you have to live with for the next few months or years......and that just doesn't cut it. Getting the hang of the thing and becoming "totally" comfortable with it requires at a minimum a couple of hours at least......as I found out. But three days is better.

Please resist the temptation to post comments turning this into an F1 vs. 6 speed thread.....as it's not meant to be one......

2. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Glad to hear your so impressed with sequential shift technology.

I plan that my next sports car will have that technology or I'll just keep driving my present ride.

Good luck and enjoy...

Sequential shift technology is just too good to pass up on..

IMO

JB

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I wasn't convinced the SMG was the right choice at first when I was car shopping.

But 18 months later in my M3 with SMGII, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I spent considerable time behind the wheel of the Maser when I was car shopping and think the BMW SMG wirks better, in manual or auto mode, than the F1 tranny in the Maserati.

(EXCEPT FOR THAT WASHBOARD EFFECT. WATCH OUT FOR THAT IN THE M3)

Let us all know how the 430 turns out.

DM

4. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I've only used the paddles on my M3 a few times. I always use the center console shifter... guess I'm lazy because my hand is right there anyway... but the SMG really is fantastic. It would be fun to compare to the 430... let us know.

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Dave....

What do you mean by washboard effect ? BTW I'm off in 30 minutes to drive the 430.....will post later.

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sometimes, at easy acceleration in 1st or 2nd, the car can tend to buck around not unlike an unruly horse. Like if you were to engage a standard transmission at too low an rpm, and then floor it. With a regular tranny, you'd just push in the clutch pedal, rev it up a little, and re-engage the tranny perhaps dropping down a gear..

Can't do it with the paddle shifter, so you either have to jam it into a lower, or higher gear (at the whim of your thinking) and step on the gas to make it go away.

Dealer says they all do it. M3 boards confirm that.

Dave

7. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    It's happened to me a few times too... esp when you start to take off (1st gear) on a bumpy street. It can be pretty embarrassing.

8. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    The Ferrari F1 tranny doesn't do that. Soooo, tell me why it is you like BMW's SMG better than Ferrari's F1? (I'm not arguing you shouldn't prefer it; just curious what's so better about it that overcomes that big negative.)

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What he said. Maybe some of the early Ferrari F1s were jerky. But take a ride in a later version Ferrari or Maser. Very, very cool.

Dale

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Gotcha....happened to me once or twice in the parking lot.....I gave it too much gas at a very slow speed when starting off......then let off the gas pedal too fast when I realised it and the bucking started....gave it gas again and all was well.

I put that down to part of the learning curve for how the thing works.....I haven't done it since day one.

This thing makes tunnels fun.....go ripping thru some and either downshift two gears just to hear the blip blip.....or upshift under hard acceleration.....I could never shift that good.....I truly feel that I have all the control of a manual without the extra work. The best part is that it is so intuitive that all I do is drive like I normally would with a stick......and I don't even use the little chrome handle on the console to shift.

I'm off to my friends house to drive his new 430 F1 Spider now.....talk to you guys soon.....it's going to be interesting to compare notes between this F1 and the ones I drove in the early cars as well as the SMG. Never driven a Maser with Cambiocorsa yet. I thought these systems were all made by one Italian manufacturer under license for the different makers ? Funny that the software is so different that the driving experience suffers and/or is enhanced as a result.

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Brian.

Is the Maser tranny the same design as the Ferrari? I don't know.

When I drove the Spyder, it just seemed to me to be much rougher to shift. Now some of that may have been my being a noob in the Maserati, but, even after I drove it for about 1/2 hour, I just didn't seem to be able to get the handle on it. Very harsh gear changes, nastly slamming into gear at 1/2 throttle or more, and the auto mode is completely useless.

To top it off, it sometimes refused to go into 1st gear. This on a new one that I was test driving.

The washboard thing is an occasional issue. I'd say it happens 1 or 2x a week, and I put about 300 miles a week on the car.

I had more trouble with a 30 minute test drive in the Maserati than I do in a month of M3 driving.

AND YES, THE WASHBOARD THING IS ANNOYIING.

I bought the SMG II because I wanted to use the M3 as my everyday driver, and do a lot of stop and go traffic commuting. It seemed like a good compromise, and still does. Although, in all honesty, if the BMW folks offered their Tiptronic, or whtever they call the automatic tranny they sell, I moght have opted for that.

Dave

12. dastig

dastig Rookie

Apr 16, 2005
    Even you like the SMG, you'll love VW DSG.

13. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The softened the F1 up in late 2000, so the washboard effect is less. The earlier models launch MUCH better than the later models, but aren't as good in traffic. With the F430 (I haven't driven one yet, but this is based upon what I've been told) the got the launch right, without the washboard effect.

I love my F1, even if the ride is a little uneven at times.

Art

14. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Dave, you know the BMW SMG has an "automated" mode, right?

A little off subject here, I noticed you have a TR6 in your profile. I had a '74 for eleven years before my F328. That was a great car!

15. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Well I'm back......

The F1 system in the 430 is very smooth (in comparision to the earlier cars I have driven....it's quite an improvement) and the easy equivalent of the SMG when driven in the "sport" mode.....but switch the mannetino over to "race" and it's another story....the gear changes are harsh, noisy and immediate at any throttle setting or rpm range.....but then again......it is "race" mode after all......and I'm not complaining....just making observations.

Being able to flip both paddles at once with the F1 to find neutral is better than using the console shifter in the SMG setup.....and being able to go from 1st to reverse without cycling thru neutral is also convenient. I found it shifted better under part throttle, that is to say, there was none of the head bobbing surging that you can get in the M3 at 3-4,000 rpm......whereas over 6,000 the shifting had do discernable lag whatsoever.

I'm sold.......make mine an F1 when the time comes !!

16. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Wow, f1 tranny sounds sweet. Anyone have any figures on how many new F430 Coupe and Spider are going to be F1/6 spd?

17. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Is the F1/SMG avaliable to all the exotic cars? Do you think if they don't, all the next models will have them (Porsche, MB, BMW, Aston Martin, Bentley, ect.)?

18. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Porsche has tipronic, its not paddle shifting, but you take the gear shift and just move it up or down, depending if you want to gear up or down. On one of the reviews of the M3 I was watching, they said dont get the SMG. Its Rubbish...but that was top gear...hmmm

19. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Whoa there!
    Tiptronic = auto transmission with "optional" manual gear selection. Has a torque converter, slow as hell, boring!

SMG, F1, E-Gear...etc = conventional manual transmission with an automated clutch. Will disappear IMHO as soon as twin clutch gearboxes will affordable. I'm convinced it will be something we'll look at in 20 years time and say "ah! what kind of brain fart was that?"

DSG (Audi, Bugatti) = 2 clutches (one for each gear shaft). "Old" technology (70s, IIRC) that is being brought back to the front thanks to electronic control. Basically, with 2 clutches, the next gear is already engaged, shifts are super quick and very smooth. Way of the future. Porsche (and man others) is working on it too.

I personally am a fan of old fashioned gears and cables ... because when comes the time to service the engine and trans ... those chips are hell !!! However, I have zero doubt that in a few years time, all cars will be twin-clutched.

20. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Supoosedly the next Porsche Turbo will have a version of Audi's DSG.

SMG was upgraded in the middle of the production of the E46 M3. Earlier models had SMG, while later models had SMG II. The difference is supposed to be quite significant. I would guess Clarkson reviewed the car when it came out, so, if I am correct, the car he reviewed had the original version of SMG.

21. maquino

maquino Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    Assuming per the thread-starter's request that 6-speeds are off the table here, and as the veteran of a 2002 Maserati CambioCorsa paddle system:

(1) The jerkiness of the 2002 CC was eliminated by replacing the OEM exhaust with a Tubi. According to Maserati North America, this had something to do with backpressure.

(2) The sequential-downshift-jerks when coming to a full stop were avoided by most CC owners by twitching the thing into neutral when a stop was coming up.

(3) The CC functioned fine in full-auto mode, except that one had to re-engage it from every full stop. (I hear that this has been corrected in post-2002 CC models).

(4) A major problem with the paddles is that they do not move with the steering wheel. So if you are doing a lot of fast wheel-turning, as on a twisty mountain road, you have to take the right and/or left hand off the wheel to twitch the appropriate paddle. The best solution to this is to replace the paddles with thumb-buttons on the steering wheel spokes. Perhaps not as much F1-fantasy, but much more practical and quick to use.

If I had to look for another automatic system like that, I would go for a Tiptronic with spoke-buttons, as I think Aston Martin offers. But if I am not forced into it by "progress", I will stay with the manual gearshift, as the 5-speed in my 328.

22. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    As I understand it, this is true w/ the F1 system. But BMW's SMG is mounted to and turns with the steering wheel. No need to take your hands off the wheel.

23. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I take it you've never driven such systems on the street.

On a racetrack you never need to remove your hands from wheel. On the roads (or autocross) you must shuffle your hands on the wheel. In that situation, those hideous thumb-buttons on the steering wheel are hard to find and when you find them its not clear which direction to push them. Normal start from a left turn light... you need to shuffle your hands to make the turn... you need to shift from 1st to 2nd mid turn... the buttons are at a about 120'-160'... so the thumb buttons are at an odd position away from your hands, so you have to glance down from the road to find them... and, worse, the buttons are upside down, so you have to focus on the buttons to figure out which way to push them! HIDEOUS!

The stationary paddles are the CORRECT solution for the street... you always know exactly where they are... and you always know exactly which direction to push them... and they are never more than a few inches from your hand. AND, on the track, where you won't be shifting at full turn anyway, the paddles are actually almost always under your hand anyway.

24. ryanmc

ryanmc Rookie

May 30, 2005
    To my knowledge your comment regarding SMG II is incorrect. All E46 M3s have had SMG II, the original SMG was used in previous models and was not available in North America. However, there have been software upgrades, most noteworthy are the upgrades to the non-M model SMG transmissions (ie: 3 series & Z4).

25. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    You're right. It was the Euro E36 M3 that came with the original SMG, while the E46 only ever had SMG II. However, I do believe some changes have been made to the system since its introduction that would make it superior to the version tested on Top Gear.