Poor Service Job - What should I do? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Poor Service Job - What should I do?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by D11VE:J, Sep 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NaeemT

NaeemT Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2005
    Birmingham (UK)
    Full Name:
    NaeemT
    im Sorry to hear that :(............i cant believe that u buy a car for £150,000.00 and u get service like that .....thats taking the piss:(......id go and have some big problems with them

2. D11VE:J

D11VE:J Formula 3

Nov 9, 2004

F328nv; You are right, I am putting it in writing to Philip Rendes today. Worst of all is the fact that I have ben waiting 7 days for a call back to tell me when they will have a car for me to use whilst mine is being sorted out.

This is an issue all FChatters should know about and beware of.

D11VE:J

3. Ravi355

Ravi355 Karting

Feb 20, 2005
    In the Country
    Full Name:
    Ravi
    My experience of all main dealers for expensive cars has been terrible. Can't fault the independants though and they save you money. Would be interesting to see how this one pans out for.

4. D11VE:J

Nov 9, 2004
    Ravi355; what a pity we have to say one is better than the other, true it may be, but why can they not all give good value for money service.

I bought my 575M new from Maranello Egham, I would expect good service from a High Value Car Supplier, its about reputation, I am posting this in hopes that others may not suffer the same as me. It is encumbent upon all suppliers of services to look after their customers, I certainly look after mine and my business is growing. I seriously doubt that Maranello After Sales intended in any way to damage my car, they did, and its how they put this right now that matters. I will post their response for your information.

Here is my letter sent today awaiting the Managers comment;

The General Manager,
    Mark Clifton,
    Maranello After Sales,
    Egham,
    Surrey. 6th September 2005

Dear Mr Clifton,
    Fax; 01784-484548
    Re; V12 STS Ferrari 575M
    Poor Quality Service

I am really not happy right now, I brought my 575M to you with 6,800 miles on it, to have its 6,000 mile service at Maranello After Sales Egham 2½ weeks ago, just before a trip to the Ferrari Galleria in Maranello Italy and visits to Hockenheim and the Nurburgring for a drive around 25th-29th August.

When I came to collect my car on the Thursday afternoon, 25th, just hours before I left for my trip, I had already been told that the front discs needed replacing, the pads were half worn, the tyres were also wearing. I told Andrew Gill that I did not want to do anything to these until I get back, believing the car would come out as good as it went in to be serviced. What a shock I had, I paid the £1800+ bill, the car came across from the parking lot, immediately I could see the Zymol had been washed off, it looked terrible, I then noticed that the wheels looked like new, but that the centre badges on all wheels, the Ferrari plastic inserts, were all broken. I then noticed a dent in the driver door and was told immediately “you brought it in that way sir”. The form was brought out and I was shown it and indeed there was a mark on it, and was then told “by the way, the Ferrari badges are 'order only' we will get them in and replace them when you get back”.

I was very, very upset by this, I asked to see you, it was explained that you were on holiday, in your place Philip Rendes the Customer Care Manager would come out to see me, he duly arrived, he told me that the door was your problem and that the mark on the form was a photocopier blot not a mark indicated on the receiving paperwork. Mr Rendes said he would deal with the door dent when I got back from my trip, I asked him what about the broken Ferrari wheel centres as I was not taking the car in that state. He managed to find 4 and they were fitted as I waited.

When I asked for an explanation, I was told that your staff had used the jet hose at too high a temperature, the thermostat had gone, and the plastic inserts cracked after over heating and the Zymol treatment I have paid hundreds of pounds to have put on over the last 6 months is to be cold water washed without chemicals. That accounted for that also. I left saying I hope everything else is alright then.

The following day, after arriving in France, 1.00am, having heard the back brakes binding, whistle, whistle, loading on the channel train, as I opened up on the French A26 the vibration was horrible, the car at 100mph vibrating the whole car, it was too much. A combination of binding brakes and a wheel at the back out of balance, something not right on the back, that was the situation throughout the whole 2,500 mile trip to the Ferrari Galleria and back.

I had a terrible trip with all of this, not the trip, the car, I wonder what you would do in my position, I informed your Mr Rendes last week upon my return about the problems, he told me that you can not road test the car after the cleaning, I can understand that but then the faulty cleaner was what damaged the car paintwork and has probably taken off a wheel balance weight, apart from that your mechanic did do work on the rear drive shafts, nuts and bolts were replaced I was told, it sounded like the diff or a rear bearing was going, for all of that you are responsible. I said that I will need another car to drive home in, this was on the morning of Tuesday 30th August, I have heard nothing back from Maranello After Sales since.

In Summary;
    The hand-brake was binding, wheel/s out of balance, drive shafts out or something like that, transmission noises, polish washed off, costing me hours of work to replace over the weekend, with faulty overheating washer, badges damaged not replaced before I saw them, door dented, trip of a lifetime to Ferrari and two great tracks I could not drive on ruined by poor service care that I paid £1,850 for, I brought you a great car and you delivered back a much lesser car for my long weekend trip that I paid out £4,000 for and could not fully enjoy.

These are the facts, I would like to know what you intend to do about this please

Yours sincerely,

5. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff

This sort of thing really gets up my nose and its not confined to F-cars either.
    If I were you I would be sending that letter recorded delivery with a copy to my rotweiller of a solicitor to teach these guys a lesson. This must come under the goods and services act, sue them hard and they might wake up Oh, and then never ever let them near your car again. good luck!

6. CraigW

CraigW Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    London
    Full Name:
    Craig Williams
    I have been waiting a while to post these but the following happened at 2 seperate ferrari main dealers:

when I had the 348GTS it went in for a rear bumper respray, insurance claim.

when the car came back it actually had drips & streaks on the rear bumper, they claimed it had been fully checked. They took the car back & 2 weeks later i got it back, bumper looked fine, I then noticed the bonnet was open, odd i thought. Inside the bonnet was 2 inches deep in water, everything in it was wrecked. I asked about this, "oh, a bonnet seal must have gone" was the reply! "no, you forgot to close it & left the car outside!!"

2nd, when I had the maserati, it went in for a routine warranty claim, I had washed it the day before and not driven it. when it came back off the transporter it had a big scrape on the rear wing and white emulsion paint in 2 inch diameter circles on the back.

I called them immediately (trying hard not to go completely f'ing mental). first they claimed that they didnt know anything about it, then came back and said the paint was there when they came in & they didnt know about the scrape.
    My retort was that as main agents, if a customers car came in with paint on it, do they not consider it might be worth calling them & asking if I want a quote to get it removed ??? They then changed story again & said the paint and the scrape were there when they received the car. i went absolutely beserk and they reluctantly agreed to do it.

a week later the warranty fault they had "rectified" returned..they had the car back and said that they needed to fully road test it, ok i said. I also asked if they could look at the drivers side window as it wasnt always returning to its original positon when the door was closed. I asked them to quote to repair it if it wasnt under warranty.

They came back and said that the window was a minor thing & they had fixed it under warranty. a week later they said they had fixed the car & presented me for (from memory) about £400 for repairing the window!!

I explained that they had called and told me they had fixed it under warranty & that they hadnt even quoted me. In short they called me a liar & after 2 days of me arguing with the dealer principle (and them actually trying to negotiate and asking me to pay half of the cost!!) they returned the car. WITH 170 MILES MORE ON THE CLOCK!!!! than when it went in.

you couldnt make it up could you.

In my book you should all use Dick Lovett Cardiff. the best service I have ever had and while you are getting car serviced use the money you have saved to stay at the St Davids hotel & spa nearby.

7. Ravi355

Ravi355 Karting

Feb 20, 2005
    In the Country
    Full Name:
    Ravi
    David, I totally agree with you. Given what we pay for these cars let alone the annual servicing costs it should be a a forgone conclusion that customer service would be top of the main dealers lists given that we are all discerning customers. Sadly it would appear that if you are not famous or a well know very wealth individual you do not receive such treatment.

Its not just F cars I know of many Porsche dealers where the same types of things happens.

8. D11VE:J

Nov 9, 2004
    CraigW; what a story, I thought mine was bad, I am afraid I am a bit short tempered when someone messes up my pride and joy, I have managed to hold on to it so far, but my patience is getting very thin now, still no reply 6 hours after Mr Clifton called me to say he had received my letter today and was going to investigate matters.

He Guys did we do it? yes boss, we will have to sort it out then won't we.

That must take at least 6 hours and 15 minutes to work that out.

Your stories that you are all posting just depress the hell out of me, how in the world are we able to justify allowing these people to get away with this type of poor service and blame game they play with us for so long and yet we pay them thousands of pound to do so. I never once thought of stopping the cheque, perhaps that was my big mistake, because that is all some people react to.

And yes craigW, the Hotel run to Cardiff does sound rather inviting.

9. D11VE:J

Nov 9, 2004
    jeffQV, that is phase 2. I still have to try phase 1 and see if they have any honour at all, if not then we all play dirty.

10. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Dave

I'm sorry to hear of your problems, obviously for the future you should vote with your feet, I can concur with Craig that DL in Cardiff are excellent (they have just done some work on my Wife's Maserati) and also DL Swindon who look after my 550, so far they've been very good

11. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    The problem is WE trust these people because they (main dealers) are supposed to be the ultimate in Ferrari service and repair, in reality it seems they are far from it. Should we not make Ferrari aware that the people operating their franchises are embarrasing the Marque, surely they would'nt be happy to know what goes on.
    Personally I would never use a main dealer, as I'll never afford a new car, also they're not really bothered with older cars.
    I understand new car buyers have to use them for warranty issues and that is a bummer, your case and Craigs are Unforgivable sloppy work:eek:

Craig seems to me the best thing to do next time is to take a few pics of your car with the date stamp on and give it to them before they start the work, that way it is irrefutable:mad:

12. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Mark your wifes car is barely 2 months old what work could it possibly need already ???

13. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Si

the Heater box had a hole in it, let all the water out into the footwelll........hey it's part of the character :)

14. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    All this is reall frightening.
    On my side I have used maraanello after sales only once and they were ok but not perfect as a fault which cost me 1,500 GBP to fix has returned (damn active suspension warning light).
    Is there anywhere we can go & trust within the dealer network closse to London ? I guess the only good feedback we are getting so far is from Dick Lovett in swindon ?
    that really is bad.
    Even in the porsche network you still can find a few good ones....

15. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I;ve also used Meridien Modena in Lyndhurst, their service side was great under Lee's management, however the guy (Tim Bate) who used to do my 355 there has left and setup as an Independant (Emblem) so probably need to find somebody that has used them more recently

16. CraigW

CraigW Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    London
    Full Name:
    Craig Williams
    I'd always go DL cardiff over Swindon, PM me for details.

17. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff

I hear you but feel that so many people have tried to be polite and reasonable that phase 2 may be mandatory!

18. CraigW

CraigW Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    London
    Full Name:
    Craig Williams
    what really got my goat in my situation was being made to feel that (a) I was lying (b) trying to get something for nothing and (c) a pain in the @rse for calling to try to get them to rectify faults that they had caused.

It's not that unreasonable to expect a main dealer to simply do the work you aer paying for an not cause any damage is it ?

As for the 170miles unaccounted for, I shudder to think what happened during those.

19. D11VE:J

Nov 9, 2004
    I received a polite letter today from Mark Clifton, AFTERSALES MANAGER,

It was delivered by Special Delivery Post; it says;

Just a short letter to confirm that we have received your letter of complaint and I have read the contents and will be dealing with the issues with utmost urgency.

May I express my sincere apologies and you will be hearing from me in the very near future.

Sincerely, MC

Well if you look at it, this is trial by forum, we are all potential customers and what is clear is that there are a few here who have found it hard to find a company that will service our FCars as considerately as we would like.

They make mistakes, they must be accountable for this, some here have cause to believe that their cars are not properly treated or looked after in their care and it makes even harder to confront when the law is 99% on their side, if you don't pay my bill because you are upset or angry because we duffed your car up, we can keep your car. Pay up before we show it to you. I can honestly say that I would not have paid the bill had I seen the state the car was in first. I don't know what I would have done if I had known about the transmission problems I found a few hours later.

I would like Maranello to deal with this honourably and find a suitable settlement, after putting my car right. I am not looking for heads to roll, I might even buy another Ferrari car from them in the future, however, that becomes less likely by the day and that is all that effects Ferrari in Italy.

What Maranello After Sales can be assured of is after 9 days of no solution, we have passed the point of being reasonable about this.

I have this gut feeling this is not going to be handled well by Maranello. I would have insisted the car came back in whilst I was checking out the situation, rectify it first and argue about it later. But then I am not Maranello.

20. D11VE:J

Nov 9, 2004
    CraigW; You are absolutely bang on my friend, you say what I think.

21. CraigW

CraigW Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    London
    Full Name:
    Craig Williams
    fwiw guys I have had a chat with DL & been chatting to them about a vmax tie in, they are working on a package which might well be beneficial to all. will let you know if anything comes of it.

22. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    should have got the telegraph to do a story on them