can you "write off" your ferrari? | FerrariChat

can you "write off" your ferrari?

Discussion in '360/430' started by GordonF355, Sep 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I am planning on buying a f355 spyder by the spring and an trying to figure out the best way to do the deal. First off, could I run this car as a "company car" ( I already have a MB E class and ML class)? I would guess I could not? I am planning to pay cash for most of the car (at least 80%), as I am not a big fan of financing depreciating assets...
    The bottom line is that I will have to pay lots of taxes this and next year and I need all the write offs I can get besides my real estate...

Any suggestions?

thanks alot! gordon

2. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    I write my 360 off. Used to take clients to lunches, travel back and forth to work etc. My CPA said it was no problem.

Mike

3. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    thanks for your speedy reply. How could I write this car off if I basically have no monthly payments due to paying cash?
    thanks
    gordon

4. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    If the car is company owned or used in a business, it can be depreciated based on its usage. Your tax accountant should be able to advise you as the the appropriate amount of depreciation you can claim against your business income. Bear in mind however that depreciation reduces your balance sheet value attributed to the car and a sale in the future will attract taxation on the difference between the depreciated value or basis and the actual selling price. The rate of tax on "recaptured" depreciation is higher than capital gains tax but lower than ordinary income tax, assuming you are in the highest bracket and that your company income filters down to you through a non taxable entity like a limited partnership, LLC or Sub Chapter S corporation.

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Use an home equity line to pay for the car and then write off the interest expense. You can pretty much do anything but will it fly if you get audited?

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    What IRS agent is going to approve of that one? BIG flag.

Buy it, own it, crash it, then it's a write-off.

--Dan

7. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    Why do you suggest using a home equity line? Best rate?

8. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003

DOes this mean a new F430 makes u pay MORE taxes yearly:) as the value shoots up initially lol.

9. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    guys, thanks for all your inputs. I have an LLC that is used for our rental properties and houses we are selling/building. I already have a Mercedes E class that I am writing off on that... Just looking for anything to be able to reduce my taxes....
    gordon

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    your gonna get an ass kicking when / if you ever get audited.

11. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Don't any of you guys hit the amt???!!! I would think that for most this is a moot point. Or am I misunderstanding this???

If you fall under the AMT, and then your LLC gets more write offs (building depreciation, cars, etc) - do you actually get the write off? Or does the AMT make it pointless???

12. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    an llc is it own entity with revs-exps and a p/l that flows to the members. there are no amt adjustments.

13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I understand that...

Lets think in hypotheticals...

You as an individual make 100,000$ per year in personal income, and fall under the AMT. So, you are now no longer privy to some tax write-offs.

Now you form an LLC, which holds tons of property. Of course this is all depreciated. Lets further assume you had MASSIVE repairs, and your llc lost $100,000 on paper. Of course paper losses are rarely actual losses, but include depreciation, repairs, closing costs, etc...

So, do you now owe tax on 0$ (ie. 100,000$ personal income - $100,000 flow through loss????)?. Or do you still owe the AMT on the 100,000$, and your paper losses don't count now....

I suspect it is the latter...but not sure...

14. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Probably not now. But, you may be able to write off that interest expense. Plus you can pay it down when you sell or for any reason. Check with your tax adviser, blah, blah, blah.

15. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Gordon,

Since you share the same home town... I have the best Accountant in Cincy if you want to use him - he can answer this question for you.

PM me and I will give you his name and number!

Rich

16. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    u use net income. so if had a job making $100k yr and my llc had a ($100k) earned income loss than my income would be zero.

17. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Well, thats sounds great to me!

If thats the case, I will likley owe little income tax this year. Which I find very hard to believe. :).

Gutting and rehabbing buildings provides for HUGE paper losses. "Repairs" on a building can easily reach 200k plus...

And of course "improvements" are multiples of that...

HMM...interesting...

18. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L

those may or may not be considered losses, sounds like capital improvements to me which will be depreciated over X years......

19. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Henryr, 80% of it is improvements, but 20% is easily repairs:

Repairs:

Demolition
    Carpentry to straighten floors, stairs
    tuckpointing
    refuse disposal
    glass repair

Other immediate write off's:

Professional fees (accountant, lawyer, architect ($$$$))
    dumpsters
    permits
    closing costs
    fees

Easily adds to hundreds of thousands of dollars...

Capital improvements:

new roof, plumbing, electrical, walls, drywall, windows, landscaping, etc, etc.

Any rehabbers care to chime in???

20. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    bpu699 :
    I'm not an accountant, but have learned to love real estate come tax time. Without knowing anything about your overall financial picture, from what I have read about your rehab building, you are going to love your tax return next year. If you sell that builiding, however, that capital gain is going to be massive....................

21. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Wolfgang, the capital gains tax is only 15%... :). My personal tax rate, is, unfortunately...WAY higher. Plus, I can Starker exchange the properties indefinitely and not pay capital gains... God love capitalism.

22. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I believe you write off interest paid up to $100,000 if you use your home line of credit. Thus if the car cost $200,000 and you pay for it using your home line of credit, the interest on the first $100,000 would be deductible. Interest paid on the second $100,000 would not be.

BTW does anyone know if the taxpayer for Y2005 can still choose between deducting state income tax or state sales tax? In Y2004 you had the election.

23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i think that was a one year freebie.

24. Bill Oxley

Bill Oxley Karting

Feb 23, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill Oxley
    Somebody said a few posts earlier: "RED FLAG!!!!"

You may never get audited, but if you do, it will not be worth the cost and/or hassle. Most IRS auditors have seen it all. Best you could hope for is a rookie auditor, but don’t count on that. Not for me, don't need that aggravation in life. Been there, good luck.

25. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #25 teak360, Sep 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017