1:12 250GTO upgrade: Borranis! | FerrariChat

1:12 250GTO upgrade: Borranis!

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Greg G, Oct 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

#1 Greg G, Oct 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I admit it... I have a wheel fetish. You may recall I customized my Kyosho F40 wheels last spring. Well now I just upgraded my Revell 1:12 GTO with new handbuilt wheels and the results are stunning! Not exactly Brianza quality, but overall looks more like a handmade custom model than a mass-produced Revell. Also installed machined aluminum SNAP exhaust tips. Special thanks to Stephane from ScaleDetails for hooking me up properly.

some before and after pix:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    The model itself is very good, and this upgrades really gives it that 'quality' edge. Very nice.

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Very nice upgrade but I would lose the chrome. It's a competition car after all and when the wheels get too shiny they loose detail. Just MHO but again very nice wheels.

Ciao, Peter

4. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Very nice. Did you repaint it? Stephane from ScaleDetails should make some more metal parts for this Revell GTO 1:12.........

5. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Yes!

6. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    How much did you pay for it?

7. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I tend to agree Peter, but Im not brave enough to try and paint em. Im just happy that they're a big improvement over the plastic wheels.

nope... just buffed it up with rubbing compound when I first got it. Infact it was full of fingerprints when I took these pix.

I have some history with Stephane, and Im not sure he charged me the full price. If you are sincerely interested in a set for yourself, I'd rather you ask him directly:

http://www.scaledetails.com/

8. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    Thanks, really want to grab one & built , then place besides my 1/12 F50 GT, that's probably a good looking picture...

9. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    I have a 1/12 GTO just like that, and i must say, even on screen, those new wheels do look a big improvement. Congrats on the good work.

10. DieCast MotorSports

DieCast MotorSports Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    Gregg,

Those wheels look great. Did you build the model yourself or buy it already assembled? If you built it, great job. I have seen those kits in the past, but haven't seen one in awhile. I would like to build one someday. What do the kits go for these days?

11. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Thanks for the compliment!

The model is a factory-built Revell diecast in 1:12 scale. I bought it on ebay about 4-5 years ago for $110. I believe its was at least a few years old when I got it. It was mounted to a real wooden base whereas the new ones have plastic bases I believe. I still see them on ebay ranging from 75-150 USD.

I wasnt aware a kit form was also available.

12. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    The Autograph Model did released a transkit for the 1/12 250GTO:

like the wheel set, it sell for 194EUR, wheel set with tire for 210 EUR
    http://www.autographmodel.com/Englisch/E-m1-12/Autograph/Borrani-Radsatz/E_Borrani-Radsatz_1-12.htm

Also, there is a transkit for 1/12 250GTO engine,
    http://www.autographmodel.com/Englisch/E-m1-12/Autograph/GTO-Motorsatz/E_GTO-Motorsatz.htm

13. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

SLK - those autograph wheels are flawless, much nicer than mine. But they are more expensive AND YOU HAVE TO ASSEMBLE THEM YOURSELF. I consider myself a pretty good modeller, but looking at the raw parts, I find that project way too overwhelming.

Stephane's wheels are pre-assembled and perfect for my needs. I just had to reuse the knockoffs which came with the car.

14. borsari

borsari Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Trully remarkable !

great work !!

15. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    What is your comment for these rim sets for 1/12 Enzo and F50?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminium-Wheels-Rims-Ferrari-1-12-F50-Enzo-Lamborghini_W0QQitemZ6979153527QQcategoryZ223QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

16. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

17. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    I am considering about these rims set, but it seems after shipping cost, it looks a little bit high.

How about this kit?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/carzseller/F50GTebayde02.jpg