who are ur commentators | FerrariChat

who are ur commentators

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Remy Zero, Oct 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    over here in malaysia, it's martin brundle, and another guy called james. how bout europe side? as well as the US>?

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    US: Bob Varsha, Steve Matchet, David Hobbs

Bob is the TV guy, Steve the ex Benetton F1 mechanic (Verstappen) and Dave the F1 racer from the sixties. Great team! Oh and the guy who does the interviews with the drivers after the race is our man from the pits. Nice guy although I find his interview questions dumb as hell.

I heard Brundle on ITV, even better.

I used to hear Marc Surer as co commentator on Swiss TV, he was great too. In general an ex F1 driver as co is always best because they see stuff before it happens.

3. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    In the UK we have the same team. We have the witty, intelligent, funny, and very knowledgeable Martin Brundle paired with the irritating, pointless, whiny, idiot James Allen.

4. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've read both of Steve Matchett's books, they are great. Brundle's book is quite good too.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Matchett is a must read.

6. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Bob Varsha's had an interesting career. Back when I moved to Atlanta in the early 80s, he was here too. He used to be part of the local Atlanta running scene and back then he used to to work for WTBS (Ted Turner's Superstation) back then on occasion doing commentary on foot races, etc.

Obviously he's parlayed that into what I consider to be one of the ultimate dream jobs.

I agree with tifosi12. I think they're a great team too.

7. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    well, u say james is irritating? u must try to listen to starsports's chris goodwin and steve slater. chris is really a @$$..he just hates michael, loves to see him makes mistakes, loves to see ferraris getting outqualified. i remember in china '04, he laughed like a sacarstic donkey when michael spun out during qualifying.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Be happy you don't speak German.

RTL's commentator is IMHO the worst.

9. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Remy, do the Malaysian keyboards come without the "y" key?

10. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    There was no better than James Hunt and Murray Walker. Great commentators but I've never heard people so biased in my life. If you weren't British they'd be all over you for the slightest mistake. Bob Varsha and David Hobbes are great and so is Steve Machett. It would be great to have them as drinking buddies.

11. Bab

Bab Formula 3

Dec 4, 2004
    Moncton/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I choose the French language option to watch F1 over here. The guys on RDS are seriously awsome, Pierre Houde, Bertrand Houle & Christian Tortora (on location) do an excellent job, and they french excitement gives a great element that TSN doesn't have.

12. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Same.

13. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    what do u mean by that?

14. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    The first year the races moved from ESPN to SPEED, mostt people didn't have the "new" network, and luckily the races were rebroadcast the same day on FOX Sports. Derek Bell did the color, and I really like his insight.

I've also heard John Watson do a few races; it's always a plus to have the perspective of a former racer. As for Murray Walker, never heard him, but heard lots of positives on his commentary.

Who does the commentary for Canada?

15. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    We have the itv feed and commentators. Speed tv is also a channel we get, so we can watch the American feeds aswell, although I tend to watch TSN, as they have a correspondant that goes to the races and gives updates after the races.

16. nniemi

nniemi Karting

Sep 28, 2004
    Turku, Finland
    Full Name:
    Niko Niemi
    Here in Finland we have Jyrki Järvilehto, known as JJ Lehto. He is a former F1 and current ALMS driver. Other commentator is Mika Salo, former (Ferrari) F1 driver. Pre- and post race commentary is by Heikki Kovalainen and Keke Rosberg.

Of course there is also few TV guys whose names i don't remember :)

-Niko

17. azbobbybooshay10

Jun 4, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Bobby Patricca
    I honeslt love the US broadcasters for SPEED TV.

Varsha: He's been doing F1 for longer than I can remember. He was the main man for the old ESPN broadcasts as well. I didn't see him for a couple years, mainly while Rick DeBruhl was hosting. Its very interesting, because DeBruhl is a local news anchor for the NBC affiliate here in Phoenix, and has been there for years. I was quite surprised when I caught him doing an F1 broadcast for the first time.

Matchett: This guy absolutly knows his stuff. I love before a car pits, Matchett always says "look for them to take about 7 seconds of fuel here." and he is almost always damn near exactly right. I especially like him during the F1 Decade broadcasts, because they are covering the years that Matchett still worked in the Bennaton pits. Its very cool to hear him comment on what the team was thinking during that race, and about things that we normally would never hear about.

Hobbs: I absolutly love his commentary. I remember his "Minardi barbeque" comments well, and always thought he was extremely funny! He is also I believe a carry-over from the ESPN days. He absolutly cracks me up at times when he throws in those funny British words that Varsha and Matchett have no idea what they mean.

Although I have never actually heard Murray Walker, I have heard he is also absolutly hilarious. I do have him doing commentary in Formula 1 99 for my Playstation, and he makes some absolutly hilarious comments during the game.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Whoa! You guys get spoiled! Lehto, Kovalainen, Rosberg and my favorite Sato as commentators? That's the most powerful/knowledgeable group of commentators I ever heard of.

Good for you guys.

19. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    LOL! I spoke too soon--you just used your allottment in your username.

20. nniemi

nniemi Karting

Sep 28, 2004
    Turku, Finland
    Full Name:
    Niko Niemi
    That is SALO not SATO :)

-Niko

21. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    lol..

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Apologies, my bad. I meant Salo, not Sato. Sato doesn't know how to drive whereas Salo was one of the last true gentlemen in F1 by giving away a certain victory (which would have been his only one in his career) for the benefit of the Scuderia. What a tremendous guy!

PS: I wish he'd quit smoking. For his own benefit.

23. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    wonder what brand he smokes? marlboro? west?

24. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Salo is a cool guy. I remember being in the paddock at an F1 testing Session at Silverstone. I think Salo was driving for Arrows? I know his team-mate was Pedro Diniz. Pedro and Mika had their road cars parked behind the team garages. Pedro's car was a Volvo. Mika's was a Ferrari 355! The thing that impressed me the most about Mika's Ferrari was that it looked veeery wel used. It had stone-chips and dead bugs all over the front of it and the inside was a bit of a mess. Pedro's car looked like it had just left the show-room. I remembered this when Mika was given the call to join the Scuderia in 1999 and it made me happy to know a Ferrari fan was getting his dream drive!