Accusump or not? | FerrariChat

Accusump or not?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by stratos, Oct 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    I went through some threads regarding these oil accumulators supposedely eliminating, or limiting, oil starvation. It's unclear whether people recommend such a solution or not.
    So what do you think, would an accusump, or similar oil accumulator, be a worthwhile investment?

Cheers.

2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    It improved somewhat, but didn't eliminate, the oil surge problem in the GT4 I used to track. I think the only definitive solution is a dry sump.

3. bshaw

bshaw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Bill

Agreed the dry sump is the best solution. However, I credit the accusump with saving the engine in my 928 track car. I toasted a rod bearing in one heavy DE season when I first started tracking it. I now have 2 seasons on the 'new' motor and it's still going strong. I'm going to change rod bearings this winter, so I'll have a better idea how it's held up then.

Bill

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Accusump is great for a tracked car. If its aggressive steet driving its probably not needed: Add an extra quart.
    Accusumps can also be configured to pre-oil the car on start-up.
    Pure race; dry sump.

5. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    Agreed. Accusumps will prevent or really minimize the oil starvation issues around corners. I don't know that one is needed at start up. I've asked several mechanics and none of them had seen any engine wear in non-tracked cars that they could remotely pin on oil starvation at start up. If it was an issue I guess the thought process is that Ferrari would have addressed it.

6. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    I'm referring to a Dino engine which, for obvious reasons, I refuse to transform to a dry sump.
    Accusump also seems to be able to establish significant oil pressure levels prior to the engine starting. This sounds great too...

7. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Recently at Watkins Glen, I ran my 308QV with the accusump both operational and non operational. There is a significant difference in oil pressure on hard right hand turns. I would not track a wet sump car without one. Next time you are in a deserted parking lot, try driving in a tight circle to a point where your tires are talking to you and check out your oil pressure guage. You'll see what I mean.

The accusump also gives me some piece of mind knowing that the car's oil is pressurized before I hit the starter. One other benefit, it allows an additional 2 quarts of oil to be running thru the system.

8. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have an accusump on my 355C not for oil starvation reasons, but for pre-oiling. For what ever reason my oil presure would take about 5 sec. to register that bothered me, this method eliminated that problem. In my case I open the valve to let 3 quarts into the engine before I start the car. Then I let the oil refill the tank and close the valve for the next start up. Regards, Vern

9. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I guess you could also modify the pick-up and baffles in the oil pan . . .

10. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Can someone post what is involved in installing an accusump? Where did you tap in and where did you install the accusump? Pix would be much appreciated. I have yet to track my car, but I've lost pressure on some on/off ramps.

Henry

11. walawdog

walawdog Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Bluefield, WV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I was at a track day the other weekend and a guy there had a GT4 with a 3qt accusump. He said that after he installed it, he did not notice any more oil starvation problems. Of course, he may not drive his car as hard as you plan on driving? He also said that he used stock parts from Moroso (spelling?) to install the system. He did have to fabricate a special one way valve to the oil cooler. According to him, the oil was flowing the wrong way under certain conditions? I am not 100% clear on that. If I were you, I'd try the overfill first and see if it helps to reduce/solve your problem.

12. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    For track, the oil starvation isssue is the amount of time the car is held in high lateral acceleration mode, such as the carousel at Road America. Remember too, the stock pump flows a prodigious rate. I posted the data once before. A 3qt accusump will be suctioned dry in a few seconds and if that doesn't provide added oil for the pick up to be immersed again, you've gained little other than having way too much oil in the sump which will be massively aerated as it gets whipped around by the crank. Also, I don't know how the accusump refills, but the idea of (damage caused by) 3 additional qts in the sump is ugly.

Even with the dry sump, I would always turn the motor over to see it register pressure before starting.
    Philip

13. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    *highjack*

Philip,
    Is that your 308 on Ebay right now? Yellow dry sumped car with electromotive. Looks real nice.

John

14. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    The accusump is a pressurised holding tank that is "T'ed" into the oiling system. Typically after the oil pump, and before the crank and rod bearings.
    When the oil pump runs dry, the accusump feeds oil into the engine.
    When the oil pump finds oil again, the accusump refills itself.
    It does not dump oil into the oil sump.

15. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    #15 pad, Oct 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    What's in the box biiaatch?

John

17. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    cold air...

18. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    John:
    yes, my (ex-) car. I sold it a couple of months ago to a dealer who's testing the market. Good luck on getting the price being asked.
    Philip

19. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    No kidding $54k!

20. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Thank you guys, great info.
    The consensus seems to be that it does bring some additional security at the expense of some inconviences including space requirements and danger from the increased oil quantity. I would personally dismiss the latter as the additional oil will return to the accusump once oil pressure is re-established.

The reason I asked initially was that I spectated a Dino engine blown to smithereens in the Monza parabolica. This engine used a competition sump and still the oil starvation blew it. Don't want to risk it.

Thanks again.

21. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Stratos, Good move if you use the Accusump. It has saved many an engine at a price that is to good to be true.

22. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    YES!

23. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Hi Paul,

Can you explain a little more about how you ran the lines on this? Did you run an extra line into where the oil pressure sendor was?

Gotta do something about my starvation problem and not sure I want to take on the dry sump right now.

Thanks,

Sean

24. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Sean,

Fchat sponsor Nick Forza now offers a modded windage tray for the oil sump that is said to alleviate the oil starvation situation. i have one of them here and Verell and other NE Fchatters are helping me install it this weekend.

25. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Cool . . . how about some pic's?

Is it just the windage tray or does he do some mod to the baffeling in the oil pan?

Sean