The Ugly American Mod | FerrariChat

The Ugly American Mod

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by wax, Oct 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    For all of us:

When I first signed on as a moderator, I suggested UK as a suitable forum in addition to other subforums, after all, I lurk about here enough as I enjoy the camaraderie, and as such, it increases odds there will be someone online who can assist where and when need be.

Well, that didn't happen, but, neither did Other: Off-Topic, where I lurk about, too.

I may be a Yank, but I'm proud of my Genealogy... I bleed Clan MacDonald.

Of my own volition, today (yesterday, to you) I reiterated that request to be a moderator in UK Section. Why? Because you're far prouder of your Ancestry.

So, I dove headfirst into the shall*ow* Colorado River, which carried me into the Gulf of California. From there, I swam thru the locks of the Panama Canal into the Gulf of Mexico, where the S. Equatorial current swept me up into the Florida current that thrust me down into the Gulf Stream, where I missed the North Atlantic cutoff and got spun right around by the Canary into the North Equatorial and back to the Gulf Stream and caught the North Atlantic Current and here I am... The Ugly American.

In the book, The Ugly American, a fictional Burmese journalist wrote:

"For some reason, the people I meet in my country are not the same as the ones I knew in the United States. A mysterious change seems to come over Americans when they go to a foreign land. They isolate themselves socially. They live pretentiously. They're loud and ostentatious. Perhaps they're frightened and defensive, or maybe they're not properly trained and make mistakes out of ignorance."

For all the societal mores and lesses which exist, no one likes to be painted by a broad brush. At best, it's embarrassing. At worst, it turns to anger. But anger subsides.

The actual title character in The Ugly American was ugly, all right, but he did things the way the locals needed them to be done. Rebuild a burned bridge? Let's use local materials.

I'd venture a guess that what was true on one side of the pond was as true on the other side of the pond, too. Biblically speaking, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I've seen these things happen before on 2 different forums. Almost to the letter. Like war in heaven. Similarly offended parties may or may not have kissed, but they certainly made up when they realized...

Life is too damn short.

There's a certain measure of pride at stake, so various plans are afoot to go hither or thither with much cheerleading, let alone torches and pitchforks. But, I assure you, there is a treasure trove here and you are part and parcel of it. Sometimes you have to dig deep within yourselves to offer a hand to someone, even if it pains you to do so for the time being. But pain is a temporary thing. It pains me to see the strife, but I believe the strife is short-lived. I don't cry over spilled beer, I offer my hand in sincerest friendship, in hopes that friendship in this accidental community of ours is long-lived.

So, you may paraphrase me, and state "Life is too damn short, so I'm staying away," but, I assure you, this is the greatest FCUKing pub on the planet, bar none.

Sure, the landlord may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if the tea's bitter... what do you do?

Sweeten it.

Depending on what one cares to believe:
    The message(s) got lost somewhere between various senders and receivers on this giant ham radio that lit up the night sky when it overheated, then landed on the bridge which caught fire.

Or

The bridge got torched.

It doesn't matter who lit the match, nor who fanned the flames or threw gas on it, or whose face the gas can blew up in, or who or how many are trying to save face.

I want to help rebuild that bridge using local materials. After all, I'm in the FCUKing pub. In so doing, let's use common tools we have. There is not only the board to go on about our business to relieve ourselves of the simple burdens of the outside world, but a Private Message system in place which you can use to contact any of the capable moderators who breathe your air or the site owner and gripe a little about this world or clue some self-styled moderator (notice I use lowercase?) in on how to do this.

In advance of that, I want to share with you with some words of wisdom a well-travelled friend shared with me when we were both going through difficult times, but handling it slightly differently.

Let me tell you something about this man... at one time... hell, for a long time... he was the very embodiment of war. War with himself and his "superiors" and all those who knew him. After he realized the secret to life, he changed his name, which is now, legally "Peace."

After I'd said to him, "Years from now, we'll laugh about this." He said, "Why wait? Laugh now."

He was right, then, and he's right, now. Because, I can assure you, the (mythical) Gods have been laughing their arses off for the last few days while this "now, look what you made me do" melodrama has played out.

4 words, 4 more words and 4 more words:

Time heals all wounds.

The sooner, the better.

For all of us.

2. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #2 Sfumato, Oct 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    ...hello mullah, hello fatwa...

4. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #4 Sfumato, Oct 28, 2005
  5. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Welcome on board

6. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Welcome aboard

7. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    I haven't a clue what you are talking about, but I perceive the message, and the perception is good! :)

Welcome on board, Wax; hope we don't send you away screaming! :D

8. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Welcome on board Wax ! Now please show these UK mods how it's really done :D:D:D

9. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Oi, back off, Shandy! :D

10. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    What ever he's on I wnat some of it :D

11. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Hi, Wax - welcome to the mad house. As you are Clan McDonald and I am Clan Campbell we're certain to get on well!!

12. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    Can someome explain what these Clans are?

13. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    A Clan is basically a large extended family.Years ago there were many of them. In Scotland most with their own tartan. The Campbells and the McDonalads were two of the largest Clans and, to put it mildly, did not always see eye to eye, resulting in fisticuffs from time to time.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan for a more eloquent and fuller description.

14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Its just like Parliament with a load of ex-pat Jocks ruling over us English !

15. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    #15 andrewg, Oct 29, 2005
    There can only be one.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    Am I the only one who has a sneaking suspicion that they're related to Martin Johnson??

17. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Or Prince Charles?? Sorry, the ears made me do it. :)
    (No offense to the monarchy, it doesn't suck nearly as much as our bubba oligarchy here in the colonies, and you have fewer fat guys in positions of power)

18. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    And thats the way it should be!its well known(not By You lot though!)that You cannot look after Yourselves so Us kindly Jocks have to it for You!!!!

19. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    is waxes first post the longest ever???