328: Clattering engine sound: | FerrariChat

328: Clattering engine sound:

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gatorrari, Nov 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Over the last few weeks (ever since I returned from EuroAutoFest in SC, about 150 miles away), my 328 has developed a clattering sound at idle. This is in addition to the "normal" engine sounds I've heard all along. It almost matches the sound a diesel engine makes at idle, though at a much lower volume. (The car does not run on after shutting off the ignition, however.) At higher RPMs (when the car is in motion), I cannot hear the clattering, though it may still be there and is just being masked by the normal engine sounds.

I thought it might be attributed to the cooler weather, but actually I only hear the sound when the engine has reached operating temperature, and I heard it clearly yesterday, when the outside temp was in the upper 70s.

The gauges all read normal and I have detected no dropoff in performance. The engine has been nowhere near redline, mainly because I have a malfunctioning tachometer I'm trying to get replaced. When I look in the engine bay with the engine running, I cannot see or smell anything out of the ordinary, and the oil level (Mobil1 15W-50) is fine.

The only thing I can put my finger on is that about 3 months ago, before the gas price runup, I switched to mid-grade gas (89 octane Amoco) to see if I could save money, and up until recently I had noticed no funny sounds. Could this be a delayed reaction to the lower octane? (I filled it with premium yesterday; it's too soon to see if that will make a difference.)

Any ideas, anyone?

2. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Could be a spark knock that developed due to the lower octane. It could have taken some time to develope depending on how often you drive your car. Usually a spark knock will be most noticable upon acceleration.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Has it gotten colder where you are? The accessory belts develop this strange click-click-click when they get cold, it goes away as the car heats up.

Also, on other cars I've heard similar sounds if the valves were out of adjustment. No clue if that applies to the 3.2 though....

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Make sure it isn't a tensioner bearing. I had one make a similiar noise and it was only 1 year and 1/2 old. Good thing I caught it when I did.

5. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I had a similar problem, which was the accesory belt. Does yours go away when the car is warm? If so, it sounds like the same thing. The belt apparently had some sort of nylon reinforcement that over time hardens. When the belt is cold it makes that clicking sound. As the belt warms up, the nylon softens and the noise goes away.

Alberto

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Probably not the gas. It doesn't have enough compression to require premium and it would normally ping under load at low to mid RPM's, not idle. You are using oil that is too thick, but that shouldn't be the cause either. Belt clatter is common as mentioned above, but typically goes away when the car is warmed up. I would get a qualified mechanic with a stethoscope to check it out. Could be any number of things some of which could be serious if not fixed quickly. You can get the tach rebuilt for much less than replacement. Tachs with the 3.2 motors are prone to go bad.

Dave

7. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    Get an automotive stethoscope at your local auto parts store. Should be around $10. This will help isolate exactly where the sound is coming from.

Lower octane gas shouldn't make a difference at idle. You would hear it most on acceleration.

Does it go away if you push in the clutch and put the car into gear? If so, that would eliminate something in the transmission and transfer gears.

Check the water pump, tensioner bearings, lower cam drive bearings, etc. to see if you can narrow it down. I also remember a thread a short time back about some type of emissions valve clicking.

I had a similar sound in my 328 shortly after I got it. I narrowed it down to the water pump. The prior owner suggested checking the belts before digging too far into it. A quick spray with belt dressing made the sound go away, so I retentioned it and the sound hasn't come back.

8. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Could be a cam drive bearing. Jack the car up, take the right rear wheel off and start her up. A mechanic's stethoscope would be very useful. Mine sounded like a coffee grinder and I could see the gear rotating out of round....very easy to identify:( I hope it's something else. But it would be best to rule this potential problem out, as it could be catastrophic.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It definitely does not go away when the car is warmed up; in fact, I don't hear the sound until the car is warmed up! And putting it in gear doesn't make a difference, but I cannot hear it once I rev the engine to above 1500 RPM or so.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Remember, the owner's manual for this car specifies 10W-50. So 15W-50 should be no problem.

11. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    A valve tap would be most noticeable in the conditions that you describe.

Once again the stethescope is your friend.

12. mhm4223

mhm4223 Rookie

Nov 14, 2004
    Perrineville, MJ
    Full Name:
    Michael Merkin
    You may want to check the waterpump shaft for play in the bearing. I just experienced the same thing. I removed my drive belts and found the output bearing on the waterpump was wobbling and the belt tension was masking the sound. I did not have any fluid loss nor any drivability issues. Remove your drive belts to eliminate any accessories from causing the noises.

13. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Have you noticed any change in oil pressure? Specifically, throughout the warm up cycle, has the pressure dropped or changed in any way? That sound might be a rod bearing. A worn rod bearing will definitely sound like a diesel - will be faint at first and then increase in volume over time. And, generally, the sound will be louder when the car has warmed up and the viscosity of the oil has gone down accordingly. Hope it's not a rod bearing...

14. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Late 328's specify 10-40 even though there were no changes in the motors. I believe it was probably due to the fact that oils were getting better making 50 weights suitable only for race use. Mobil 0-40 has the best vicosity vs temp ratings I know of at both ends of the scale and flows better which helps cool bearings, etc better than slower moving 50 weight. Saves a little power also.

Dave

15. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    my mondial 8 "clatters" if you will at idle also, however i tracked it down to the transfer gears from the clutch to the trans. when i depress the clutch the noise goes away. it's not real noticable to start with but i can hear it and it bugs me. some i've talked to say it's normal. i don't know, when it's time to re-place the clutch i'll dig into it and see whats going on. but for now it's not getting louder nor does it effect the performance.

anyone else know if it's a real problem?

16. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    My guess would be bearing noise...

17. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan

exactly what was wrong on my mondial........

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My mechanic is coming over tomorrow to look and listen. Based on my writeup, he suspects an accessory belt, either the a/c compressor or the water pump. The latter seems unlikely to me, since the water pump was rebuilt about a year ago. I'll report on the eventual findings.

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, the car is in the shop, and here's the poop: the tensioner bearings need replacing (a bit early, as they have 24,000 miles and 4 years on them), but that was not what was making the noise :(.

My mechanic says there are a couple of additional bearings in the timing case that have gone bad. I don't know what these are supposed to do, but he says that the timing belt is not as tight as it should be, and the clatter is probably coming from the belt itself. He didn't know what to call them; these may be the "lower cam drive bearings" someone suggested in a reply above.

The problem at the moment is that in order to replace these bearings, the harmonic balancer has to be removed from the crankshaft, and right now, the balancer is rusted onto the shaft and will not come off! He is applying a judicious amount of lubrication, heat and pulling to try and remove it, hopefully without damaging it. If need be, he will have to cut it off, in which case I will need a new balancer :mad:.

Hopefully, once this is all done and the engine has a new timing belt and bearings, it will be healthier than it's apparently been in years. I'm sure glad I paid "only" $35k for the car......

20. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    I hope it's not the cam drive bearings because on the 308 anyway, normally it's an engine out job, (probably complete with "oh, while it's out we may as well...").

There are a number of threads about doing these bearings, also about doing them in situ which doesn't always work (see Verell's and Jwise posts), but if it does it certainly saves $'s.

hope its not these, but good luck anyway ..
    Richard

21. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    A day soaked with Kroil will loosen anything.

Ken

22. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #22 robertgarven, Nov 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gatorrari,

I have done the cam drive replacement twice with the engine in, if I am not mistaken the 328 uses sealed bearings nearer to the pouitside of the cover so they could be removed with a race type bearing puller. A bad bearing there would loossen the belt some as the shaft will move off center. Who is your mechanic and has he had experience replacing these bearings. Its not that trickey as I did it but not withouth the experience of people on this board.

Rob

here is a diagram of the early 308 which is slightly different but will give you an idea where they are and what they do, they are the bearing right behind the two bottom pullies. Actually this may be a latter engine designas on mine there is a seal on the outside of that bearing and it is lubricated from the inside with engine oil.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    You can replace the cam drive bearings with the engine in the car if you can double nut several of the 8mm studs that hold the crankcase to the front cover. You also have to double nut one or two of the oil pump pickup up 6mm studs. If you can get the studs out so you can slide the front cover off, you can do it in the car, if not engine has to come out and then it is a piece of cake.

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Always remember....it's a $35K car with about $10K of immediate liability exposure!

25. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    Sorry to hear that. Here is a post that will give you all the information you could ever want (and some you won't) on replacing the cam drive bearings.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28437

If the outter bearings aren't in too bad shape, I would consider replacing just them like ferrarifixer suggests.

Does your mechanic have a ring nut socket? Behind the balancer are two ring nuts holding the lower cam drive pulleys on. I think the socket is about $75 from Baum tools, but some have made their own by grinding down a standard socket to fit the grooves.

http://tools.baumtools.com/index.jsp?menu=ferr