Inventions... | FerrariChat

Inventions...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SMC, Nov 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SMC

SMC Rookie

Nov 16, 2003
    OK - I have an idea - not a new invention, but something that I think would be of great value to the automotive industry. The idea involves adding a fuction to a car that would, I believe, be a welcome fuction to car owners. I also believe it would be fairly easy to design, although I'm not very mecahnically inclined, so I doubt I could actually build it to demonstrate. I'm figuring my idea would be of interest to auto makers as something they could add to a car as either an option or standard feature.

My question is; what do i do with my idea? Where do I start?

TIA

2. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    ive tried to figure this out too !!!! but the silicone implants dont stay glued onto the steering wheel......

3. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    If you just want to write it in as a suggestion and have no interest in compensation, then it's pretty easy. Probably send a bunch of letters to customer support, heads of car design, VP's of engineering, VP's of marketing, etc. There's a good chance it will get buried, but there's also a chance it will get listened to. Writing it in to automotive industry journalists is another good route. If you get those guys to write about your idea then the car guys will read/hear about it eventually and consider it.

If you want to retain rights to it and want protection, you could try describing it to the best of your ability, hire a patent lawyer, plan on paying $5-15K depending on how rough a time the USPTO gives you and plan on it taking 3-5 years to a patent being issued. You don't have to have a model to file a patent, but you do have to explain how it works and why it's different/unique. Once you get the patent, your battle to commercialize it has just gotten started. See next paragraph.

If you want the auto companies to listen to you and pay you for your idea, whether you have a patent or not, then it probably won't happen. Most manufacturing companies don't like to listen to people with ideas - some of that is NIH (not invented here) syndrome; but a larger portion is that people who are in the business actually have already thought of 99.9% of the ideas that people come to them with. If they listen and the idea is actually already in development and then comes out, then these people get the impression that the mfr stole their ideas and they file a lawsuit. Much easier for a mfr to have a policy that they don't listen to unsolicited ideas or proposals. Even if the idea doesn't come out as a product doesn't mean the mfr hasn't thought of the idea. A lot of developments never get into a product because the mfr decides: it's too expensive, it's not as popular as they first thought, there's some liability factor they're worried about, it conflicts with a marketing or product message they want to sustain, etc.

This sounds pretty grim, but that's pretty much the way it works. If you really do have a unique and commercially viable idea, the best way to get it into a product is to start an aftermarket product company to create, promote and sell it. If it really is successful and you have a patent, then it is much more likely that someone will come to you and say, we want to buy this.

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Just remember how the guy that invented the intermittent wiper circuit got screwed by Siemens and GM.

5. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54564-2005Feb25.html

Monetarily he was rewarded (although by my estimation not enough) but that obviously wasn't what he was after.

6. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Yeah, that's sad. And he *had* patents.

7. SMC

SMC Rookie

Nov 16, 2003
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54564-2005Feb25.html

What an incredibly sad story - the kind that makes my blood boil when I think of the millions of dollars the auto makers make, and they couldn't give this guy is due?

YIN - thank you very much for the feedback! Very helpful! Indeed, it is kind of a downer, but maybe I'll think of a way - and try the aftermarket route. Thanks again!

8. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    I thought Lucas had cornered the market on intermittent electric devices.

9. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    Hahaha

10. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Nice overview, Yin.

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    You could give your idea to the Invention Submission Corporation! They'll help you!

12. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    You could call this company and they would probably tell you that your idea of marketing female dog crap in a brown baggy is awesome and all ya gotta do is simply mail them a check! I HATE these companies! They are right up there with all the thieves that push doing imfomercials for your hot new product.

13. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Be careful...many & most of these invention-help companies are NOT what you think they are: they are out to sell you on services that help you get a patent, they'll take your money, offer you their services and that's about it. They're not about to buy your idea or connect you with people who will.

Sad truth is, it's really tough nowadays to get your ideas out. Unless you can make it and sell it on your own, odds are very slim you can make much headway. Unless it's new technology you're in a tough situation.

Good luck!!!!

14. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Here's a recent example of someone coming up with a superior idea and promoting it after self-development.

http://turbotap.com/Products/

Makes me proud to be an American! :D