F40 misfiring after 4500 rpm's | FerrariChat

F40 misfiring after 4500 rpm's

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ROLOcr, Dec 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    hey guy's, we have a 1991 F40 european version, that has only 21k KM and misfires after 4500 rpm's and won't go beyond 6000 rpm's

what's funny is that it is ok when ok is cold, when it heats up starts misfiring and if i turn it off and turn it back on 20 seconds later it doesn't misfire but only has about 75% of power

has anybody had this problem ????

we change spark plugs, checked and clean every conector from fuel inyection and ignition , new fuel pump , whe are going to check fuel pressure and other stuff next week

also if someone has all the correct ohm readings for all the sensor it would be GREAT!!!!

thanks

ROLO

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Fuse box ? I had to rebuild mine, they were only built to last 10 years or so

3. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I haven't owned an F40 before, but it sounds like an ignition timing issue.

Is the advance too much when it misfires and not enough when you have lower power? Just a guess.

Regards,
    Richard

4. KTR

KTR Guest

Jun 17, 2005
    F40s are very sensetive to fuel pressure. The engine ECU will not allow the engine to run above certain RPMs if there is not enough fuel. At idle and low RPMs the engine has adequate pressure but not at 4500 rpms. You need a good fuel pressure gauge to test both pumps, left and right. The pumps must achieve pressure and hold it with the ignition swith on the turned off. I am not sure of the pressure spec off the top of my head. Some of the additives in todays gasoline can damage parts of the pump and weaken their capacity.

5. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Good advise here...

Also note that the injectors are shut off at manifold pressure above 21-22 psi (1.45 bar) gauge (2.45 bar absolute). Normal manifold pressure (at least for a US car) is 1.1 bar. And remember, cold winter air (more dense) may cause overboost on a car that will not show this problem in the summer.

Could be:
    ingition
    fuel pressure
    injection
    electrical (ground, voltage)

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

6. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Spark plug wires?????

7. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I agree with this; it sounds like a bad coil wire or bad coil wire connection within the cap.

8. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    the fuse box was rebuilt 6 months ago

here in costa rica we are just starting summer so overboosting may not be the problem. i hope it is fuel pressure

wires not really because it doesn't foul spark plugs and it doesn't use a cap, it has 4 coils, 2 cylinders pero coil, maybe the modules could be it???

any other guess???

9. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Check the fuel pressure, but fuel pumps are in the fuel tanks (1 per side), so pretty expensive to repair. Exclude simpler things first.... previous owner had a similar problem with my car and had one of the pumps exchanged

Good luck. Let us know what the issue was when you resolve it.

Simon

10. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    we already checked almost all of the simple things

both fuel pumps are new but we'll check 'em next week !

thanks!!!

ROLO

11. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    Have you checked the power supply to the fuel pumps? They may test as good, but may have intermittent power issues from the harness. Could be one of the coils though, but i when i've seen them go bad, the car has issues when cold and runs fine once it warms up.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Do not diagnose without the proper tools. Put the car on a scopemeter to find the missing cylinder. Wires can look good and pass under simple tests and fool you. If you find a miss in cy 6 then swap wire with cly 7 to see if you can move the miss. If you can your wire is bad regardless of what your ohm meter tells you. IMO fuel pressure is the first step at idle and under max load. It should have a hold time but that is not critical except when hot for hot restarts. Then even if pressure is correct you have to check the flow volume. However, knowing Ferrari your problem is likely electrical. It can be anything from a bad wire to a bad TDC sensor etc.. depending on how the F40 works i.e. KE-jet, motronic etc....

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Best advice in the thread so far. Follow it...oh and its a motronic system in the F-40..no blasted fuel distributors to worry about...

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    This may be a redundant question but, when was the last time you changed the fuel filters?

The reason I ask is because Roland had a bad misfire with his F40. The fuel filter wasn't the problem though. What it turned out to be was a bad fuel line. The wrong type was used and the rubber got deteriorated. The rubber then settled in the gas tank. So when he first started the car is ran great. But as he drove it more, the rubber was getting sucked up, and the car would misfire. He would shut it off and the rubber would settle, it would run fine after it had sat for a while, then start misfiring again as he drove it. So I suggest the fuel filters to see if you have any trace of deteriorated rubber in it. Roland finally found the problem by draining the tank, removing, and inspecting it when they found the rubber inside. He changed the fuel lines and the problem was solved.

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. Makes my head swell coming from a real technician like yourself.

16. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Oh great that's all we need. Fatbillybob with a fatter head. LOL :D

17. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    It's Weber-Marelli alpha-n injection/ingnition, not Bosch. No mass airflow sensor, no airflow plate. Alpha meaning throttle position, and 'n' meaning rpm.

Injection and ignition maps are selected by those primary inputs, of course there's temperature sensors for coolant and air, manifold pressure....

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

18. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    hey guys, apparently a fuel pump is not working properly, by friday we'll know for sure.
    i'll let you know when whe finish with the car

ROLO

19. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I have seen it on more than one occasion. The last time the F40 owner filled up with 104 Octane fuel before storing the car for the winter. The gas ate away at the rubber seals in the pump. The pump operated but with diminished capacity. The F40 ECUs won't let the car run lean. It starts to drop cylinders to tell you something is wrong and prevent a lean burn condition. I would be interested to know if anyone has come up with higher capacity fuel pump which is a direct replacement?

20. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    well it was one of the fuel pumps. the owner allready ordered them(both).

THANKS ALOT FOR THE HELP

21. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    An wideband o2 display would be an good idea on an turbo boostet car. To see those problems immediately. Because of those problems i saw many engines with damaged pistons on our shop.

22. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Thanks for the update.

23. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Will all due repect this is not true. The lambda sensor as OE is only there for emissions compliance and the ecu runs closed-loop only when not at full throttle. The only fuel cut-off occurs at either redline or overboost (about 1.45bar).

I've not found the OE fuel pump a limiting factor on US in-tank pumps to 650 bhp.

That said it would not be difficult to adapt a larger volume pump.

Best regards,

Rob

24. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    #24 ROLOcr, Feb 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    well we FINALLY got the parts and we got the car fixed, it was the fuel pumps, we were amazed because the car was serviced almost 6 months ago in ITALY and the mechanic changed both fuel pumps BUT only changed one of the fuel filters, the other one was from 1993!(it had the date written on it) it was clogged up and it damaged the pump, but everything is back to normal now and the costumer is verry happy

the pic of the mufflers is so you can see the difference from one bank of cilynders(with bad fuel pump) to the other with the good pump

thanks for the help guys!

ROLO
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    whats the black stuff blocking the filters...

looks a bit like rubber fuel cell disintigrating......