1998 F355 F1 vs. Manual Opinions | FerrariChat

1998 F355 F1 vs. Manual Opinions

Discussion in '348/355' started by blu328gts, Dec 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blu328gts

blu328gts Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2004
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    //Rick
    Having driven manual shift cars all my licensed life and never having experienced and F1-equipped car, I'd appreciate any/all opinions on the 1998 F1 equipped F355:
    (a) How do these cars drive compared to their manual 6-speed counterparts?
    (b) What are some issues to watch out for?
    (c) How well does that generation F1 accomodate traffic situations?

Thanks in advance...

(BTW, I did a search and read through some very good buyers guide info.)

2. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
  3. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
    Stick with the "Stick"

You won't regret it.

4. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have a 99' 355 F1. Shifts great in all situations...I would never swap for a manual. My only word of caution is that the F1 can be very expensive to repair. Than again, everything is expensive to repair on this car. Fortunately, the fun factor far outweighs the cost. Tim

5. spidey

spidey Karting

Hey Rick: should have told me you were interested in 355 F1 when we went on the drive with Dave.

Issues with F1: Dont back up a slope (clutch will not last long), issues about cost blah! blah!...

As far as driving it: has novelty factor (has not worn off yet), dont drive it in auto mode (never have,never will), and you can push the car hard and keep your concentration without removing hands from steering wheel, great on dive bombing turns and rapid down shifts and powering out too.

Lastly: have a 6 speed "other car" in the stable to satify the need for stick shifting (I'll bring this out in the next drive- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

6. rafo

rafo Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    CA
    Having owned a 99 F1, I can tell you it was very reliable for me and enjoyable.

With a six speed, you have more control launching the car. But once you get moving, there is nothing better (performance wise) than the F1. I would not hesitate to drive a F1 in traffic either. Once you learn how to engage the clutch quickly without revving the engine much, you will like it in traffic situations better.

The benefit is you can keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times and you can shift full throttle, without letting up on the gas, in a fraction of a second.

If you want to experience everything the car has to offer, go with the F1. The 355 is a performer when revving the engine high.

With the F1, I will not hesitate to drop it into 1st @ 7000-7500 rpm full throttle, redline, with neck breaking shift into 2nd full throttle. Executing this entire process is less than one second. With a 6 speed, I just am not comfortable dropping it into 1st and risking overreving the engine. I also couldnt possibly execute this entire process in a split second like you can with the F1.

Imagine you are in 2nd, full throttle, accelerating quickly and you need to decide "do i drop it into 1st? will i overrev? yes or no?". With the F1, just request the downshift. If it would overrev, it wont do it.

I just do not drive the car as "hard" with a 6 speed. With the F1, who cares, downshift full throttle (never letting up on the gas during the shift) all day long. You can't damage it. The car loves it. And so will you and your passenger.

When on the freeway, slam the car into 2nd or 3rd gear and feel the power output at high rpms. It is error proof and the tranny is bullet proof. With a 6 speed, i find i have to think too much "ok, i am going 50mph full throttle, can i put it into 2nd without over revving? oh shoot, i am going 55 now, i guess i'll just throw it into 3rd" And if I drop it into 3rd, see that i am only at 55-6000 rpms, i usually wont bother going into 2nd. With the F1, heck yeah, drop that tranny into 2nd. I want to hear the exhaust scream and I want to execute a perfect hard shift into 3rd near redline.

If you like to drive you car HARD, you will love the F1. Now that I have experienced the F1 for many years, I am getting drawn back to the 6 speed. But if you havent experienced the F1 and you want to take the car to its limits, I say you must try it.

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  8. khughes

khughes Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    i have a 98 355f1 and love it. the only problem i've had is a bad clutch position sensor??????. try both before you buy.......

9. blu328gts

blu328gts Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2004
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    //Rick
    Thanks for the comments everyone!