Whats the difference between Flat 12 and V12? | FerrariChat

Whats the difference between Flat 12 and V12?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ApeGen, Dec 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #1 ApeGen, Dec 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What are the pros and cons of them comparing to each other? I have used the search, and didn't come up with anything here. Just walked by the Ferrari showroom in Manhattan the other day and saw scale model of both the boxer engine and the enzo engine, then my friend came up with this question. And I don't know the answer to it, so I need some help from the experts here! :)

And heres something interesting in the showroom, the birdcage concept :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    flat or boxer engine like BB512/Testarossa or Subaru or Porsche 911 has 180 degrees "flat" horizonaly opposed stroke between companion cylinders......that's why it's called boxer as it's like a punch counter punch. V4/6/8/10/12/etc has a "V" degree like 60/90/and all sorts of wierd degrees in F1 like Renaults 111 degree. VRod Harley is a V where a lot of the BMW motorcycles are flat.....RAdial is like the old Pratt & Whitney Prop planes with the cylinders opposing each other around like a pin wheel.........

Understand a bit better now?

3. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for the info speedmoore :)
    that helped quite a bit... but what I really want to know is the comparison between the 2 types of 12 cylinders engines. What are the pros and cons of them performance-wise? For instance, what are the advantages a V12 has over a flat 12? And vice versa.... I've heard theories that flat 12 makes the car's overall balance better because of the placement of the engine? something to do with center of gravity?

Basically, a detail comparison between those 2 is what I am looking for :)

Thanks!

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yes a benefit of a flat configured engine is that the weight of the engine is lower, and this helps with handling.

The benefit if a V configured engine is that it can be placed in a narrower engine bay. For example in an F1 car they can make it engine narrow to help with aerodymanics.

5. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    From purely a performance perspective, there aren't any dramatic differences. Said another way, you'll get similar specific output (everything else being equal) from a V as a boxer cylinder configurations. Surprisingly, however, the harmonic balance is usually slightly better (more moderate and even) with a V configuration. As suggested earlier in the postings, it's really about engine size/packaging, and, keeping the center of gravity as low as possible.

6. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
  7. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    D Moore - Scott's reference is important to read, for it points out that the difference between a flat and V-12 is not merely the geometry, but whether the opposing pistons share a crank journal.

Technically, the Boxer engine is a V-12, that happens to have a 180 degree V angle. The journals of opposing pistons are shared.

Jim S.

8. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Jim, let me get this right, Flat is a V?

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    As I have always understood it, there is a difference between a 180 degree V and a true boxer engine. The 180 degree V has rods that share the same journal or rod throw so the pistons shuffle side to side rather than approach each other then go away from each other. A boxer engine has individual rod throws that cause the pistons to approach and depart as they reciprocate creating crank case pressures as they compress the crank case air. The 180 degree V eliminates this characteristic. Porsche's have boxer engines. I thought there was a difference between a TR and a BB engine like boxer vs 180 degree V. Is that true?

P

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No -- both TR and BB are a 180 deg V-12 (just count the crankshaft throws on the SPC illustration). A true "boxer" engine design is Okish on a 4 or 6 cyl package, but, on 8 cyl and up, the crankshaft gets too "noodle-ly" (or must be very bulky to have the same stiffness and then the interia is high and the engine is not compact). Also more costly as you just have more crank journals to finish.

11. rammsteinmatt

rammsteinmatt Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Shinavar
    also boxers are more difficult (or rather more time required) to work on.

in the example of the evo vs. STi, the evo has pretty easy engine work, but the STi requires lots of pieces to be removed to do the simplist of jobs (like a spark plug change)

12. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Yup! clear as mud. I know I'm missing something.

13. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Wow, thats quite alot of info guys!
    Thanks alot! :)

14. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    yep you are correct, there is no counter punch on a BB or TR like on a Porsche.....been schooled

15. gdbsti

gdbsti Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #15 gdbsti, Dec 14, 2005
    An example from a car I was working on today..

16. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    #16 speedmoore, Dec 14, 2005
    Cool, here's a true boxer I was working on today.....

17. gdbsti

gdbsti Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'm not too familiar with Porsches. Is that a 962?

18. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Fun reading. I learned something as well. :)

19. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    you are correct.

20. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    There is a very practical reason which ernie cited. It doesn't look to possible to me that a Ferrari Boxer engine could fit between the front wheels of of a front engine Ferrari, assuming you want to be able to go around a corner. My 330 GT has a pretty big turning radius as it is. Performance and center of gravity are nice, but front engined cars have a basic restriction!
    I would guess there was very little time wasted on that decision, once the front engine configuration was chosen.

Cheers
    Warren

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Last time I looked Subaru's (and Alfa Suds) where front engined cars and they still manage to go around corners. A flat 12 is only going to be longer NOT wider than a flat 4. Pininfarina DID make a front engined 4 door prototype Ferrari with the BB engine ...

BTW: Do not get too excited about the Boxer term, one of the most abused or mis-used terms relative to engine design ever. After all even Ferrari mis-used it with the Berlinetta Boxer as as we have just discussed that flat 12 is NOT technically a boxer engine at all but a 180 degree v 12 as each pairing of cylinders DO share a crank throw.

Pete

22. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    Not comparing apples to apples.
    If I unfolded my V-12 Engine to a Flat-12 (a fair comparison if only the layout is the issue) there is no way it could fit. But of course engines could be designed to fit any dimensional requirement, so yes, one could put a some kind of a flat 12 into my 330. But there would have to be some compromises.
    Then there is Subaru - who claimed in their Ad a few years back that they had an engine "just like a Ferrari". One of my pet peeves regarding advertising claims.

Cheers
    Warren

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The engine bay of an Alfa Sud is wider than most ... I guess. Note also that Alfa Suds have macpherson strut front suspension that takes less room.

Anyway Pininfarina made it work :), so it's possible, but maybe NOT in your cars engine bay.
    Pete

24. caymanslover

caymanslover Karting

Dec 16, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The Porsche 917 flat 12 boxer solved the whippy crank problem by using a power transfer gear in the center of the crank (essentially 2 flat six engines joined together). That configuration helped with the stiffness of each half and resulting harmonic balance.

25. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #25 spaghetti_jet, Dec 19, 2005
    Actually, not wishing to be a smart pants, but the Alfa Sud (and 33) had the engine in front of the front axle. The gearbox was longitudinal behind the engine. This meant that the assembly was actually quite narrow in the area required for tyre turning clearance. The engine itself actually took most of the width of the car.