Holy Depreciation Batman! | FerrariChat

Holy Depreciation Batman!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Oneday, Dec 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oneday

Oneday Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Colorado
  2. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    This has to be the 367hp non turbo V12. No wonder they depreciate like stones. I'd still consider one ... must be one hell of a car.

3. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It is a non turbo car! 03-up are the turbo V12. My parents have an 02 Cl500 with the sport package that is one of the classiest cars on the road and the sticker was $102k and now it is worth way less then $50k. They are a great car, and a blast to drive. Also, they hold 4 adults no problem. I have been thinking of getting rid of my clk430 for the cl for a while now. If you need anymore info let me know. The problem with these cars is owning them out of warranty will cost you a ton. Everything is electronic and sensors are not cheap :(
    Erik

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Its cheap because Benzs are crap. I wonder how many trannys its gone through ? Bet the elect on it are poor as well. I found from about 95 until now benz has been a poor car in quality all models. Just look at the reports of reliabilty, they have been dropping and are now leveling off i nthe JD sections.

Buy lexus....its better.

5. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The last true last model Mercedes built was the 99 S-Class (W140).

6. wbuild

wbuild Karting

Nov 27, 2004
    north carolina
    thats a buy back (lemon car).

7. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Found out yesterday that the blinker relay (yes, the flasher relay - similar in FUNCTION to the $7.00 part that darn near every car has used for 30 years and can be bought at any parts store) for the SL series through 2002 is **$500** to replace...for some reason, despite only running the blinkers and hazards, this piece uses an inordinate amount of logic boards (you should see the pin connector) and cannot simply be replaced with a cheaper part. Mind boggling. Repair costs like this are a pretty good cause for depreciation. That older SL had FAR less computer systems than the newer SL, CL, S classes...imagine some of the minor computer glitches that will turn into $4k repair bills on those! Yikes.

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Actually that was the worst junk benz I owned....

Here is a funny story as of today, not when it happened to meback in 99 :

Very cold spring late afternoon Im on the 401 hwy doing about 120kms an hour in the rain and its cold, about 10 degrees and Im in my suit minus a tie.

All of sudden, **get this** all four of my windows and moon/sun roof begin to open all the way. Yes all windows and roof openned complete in the rain driving on the highway in a chilly afternoon. Radio went dead, and no lights on the dash or driving lights.

I got soaked beyond belief, drove it right to the benz dealership at 5pm in some light traffic and still raining on me. Pulled up into service, everyone looking at me. Im soaked and all windows and moonroof still open, some started to sort of laugh until I started to raise my voice on how this 99s320 6 months old with 10k on the clock is crap.

Amazing how I got an apology and a warm cup of coffee and new s class to drive home until they fix the **** box a few days later.

They said it was an electrical issue, traded it in 3 months later.

BYE BYE !!! Junk !!

9. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    I thought it was the E500s of the mid 90s?

10. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    the CL65 has to be the worst of the bunch, brand new it's $180k, and now a 2005 model with a few k miles on the clock is worth barely $120k. That's $60k in a few MONTHS!!!

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'd love to get my hands on that engine though :)

12. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    I wouldn't waste that kind of money on an MB. If I was going to spend anywhere near the $188k mark it would be on an F430 ... way better than an MB.

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Unless you're a repeat customer, good luck finding an F430 for that price.

MB has tons of customers lining up for these cars that have been used to high depreciation for years. It is a different market segment and they seem to have figured it out...

14. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The MBZ E-Class from 1986-1995 were the BEST of them all IMO, I just wanted to point out the BEST/LATEST model of the collection. :)

15. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    They seem to have tanked a bit, my sticker was in the high 120s when we picked up our loaded 04 CL55AMG back in Dec of 04, and now with less than 6000miles on her I have gotten two calls @ my $88,000 asking price.
    For me there comes a point where I just may have to keep her, I quess i,m one of the lucky ones as we really like the car and have had zero issues to this point.
    I just get bored with my cars to quickly ,this one is just a bit more costly than my previous choices.
    It's definately a buyer's market with these cars!

16. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    MBZ.....Great car??
    I bought my wife an '06 E350 Wagon. She test drove bmw, volvo, and mbz.
    She loved the ride of the benz, and especially loved the Auto hatch feature.

So, I cruise on over to FJ Mercedes in Newport. Bought her the car.

Next day, hatch doesn't open....
    5 days later, center console went compltetly blank. No radio, nav, etc....
    2 days later, Car starts revvving at a stop light with my wifes foot on the brake. NOW IT IS NO JOKE!!
    Baby in the car. /she was quite scared.

Car currently has 1400 miles. And is back where it came from.

I paid $52k for this POS!

17. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY

I thought you would buy a replica instead?!?

18. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    Aside from the E55, I think the only Benz that is worth holding on to is the C-class Kompressor. You really don't have to worry that much with depreciation/maintenance, and you have a car that you can park and leave without too much hassle...

For some reason, once the bigger Benzes go off warranty, everything begins to fall apart...

19. bdog

bdog Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2004
    My anut got an E-320(99) in June she misses her 95 T-bird and is Think of trading it in on a Lexus or even a Toyato or Smart Car

20. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    My sister just bought an 04 C230K. I said "Don't get an M-B! Their quality sucks!" and she didn't believe me. The car is alright so far, and I can't wait to drive it to give it a lil spin, but I wonder how it'll go from here...