Mondial electrical problems: load/alternator/battery mismatch? | FerrariChat

Mondial electrical problems: load/alternator/battery mismatch?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by snj5, Jan 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    As most know, the Mondial has had a reputation of having weird electrical things. And, as has been documented, often time the weird behaviors start mysteriously, and then many are mysteriously cured by a new battery or fresh charge, even with a working charge system.
    Here is the history of Mondial alternators and batteries:

M8: Bosch 65A alternator and 66 Ah battery
    QV: Bosch 80A alternator and 66 Ah battery
    3.2: Bosch 85A alternator and 66 Ah battery
    t: Delco 105A alternator and 66-70 Ah battery (same as 348)

reference example:
    Porsche
    911 3.2: 92A alternator and 66Ah battery
    911 3.4: 115A alternator and 72 Ah battery

So, what I think may be happening is a circuit load/battery/alternator mismatch. The electrical load is NOT that different between Mondials (or a 911, I'd guess), and notice they kept going up every year while the real 'requirement' was about the same; Also, the drive train was engineered for the 2 seat 308/328 as well, with a bit lesser load potential: Especially if a more powerful battery and/or stereo amplifier is installed, it may accentuate the condition.

Ergo, I think a basic solution to some of the Mondials weird electrical behavior may be solved by going to a bigger alternator and/or battery to better meet load requirements.

Would a Delco Remy 30SI series work? It has an output at 6000 rpm of 90/105 amps and at 1600 rpm of 44/53 amps. It has a max rpm range of 10K rpm continuous, and is a brushless (long life/reliability) one wire hook-up, and will take rotation either way. I'm brand new at this, so all advice welcome.

So, anyone have advice or a suggested a higher output replacement alternator and how to wire it up? I know the alternator is easy to get to through the starboard rear wheelwell.

Many thanks, and happy new year to all!
    rt

2. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Russ, IMHO the Mondial's frequent electrical problems stem more from certain overloaded circuits rather than an undersized alternator or battery. Specifically, I've seen melted fuse boxes and melted wiring as a result of hack electrics related to aftermarket stereos/amps, alarms, old car phones, etc. Also, I also believe the older Mondials have electrical gremlins because of the inevitable corrosion in the fuse box riveted connections. Certainly, a strong battery and alternator with a healthy voltage level might help reduce the severity of this problem, however, the underlying problem isn't the alt/batt. Just my opinion

3. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    What he said. I have experimented with a bigger battery. It makes the clock flash 0:00 every time you switch on.