scientific question on 355 motronic type | FerrariChat

scientific question on 355 motronic type

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fana355france, Jan 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fana355france

fana355france Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 10, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    Hello and happy new years ! bes wishes from France !
    does someone know when was introduced the motronic 5.2 on F355 ? does it exist a spider with 2.7 motronic because this car was introduced later.
    thnks

2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    On US 355s 2.7(OBD1) was '95 and all factory challenge cars('97-'98). 5.2(OBD2) was on all 355s from '96-'99. I'm not sure when the Euro cars changed to 5.2 maybe the same year as US cars. The 5.2 cars have a single ECU and single air flow sensor, the 2.7 cars have 2 ECUs and 2 airflow sensors. The reason I tell you this is that you could look at '96 and newer euro cars and determine the difference. Regards, Vern

3. fana355france

BANNED

Aug 10, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    I heard that the 2.7 engine was more powerfull than the 5.2 (maybe it is the reason why the challenge kept the 2.7....is it true and what is thee diffenrent (horespower is same ?)
    thnks
    nico

4. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    5.2 has better emissions than 2.7.

2.7 has more low down torque and revs more freely (slightly more performance but only a couple %).

I imagine Ferrari left the Challenge cars with 2.7 as they had old stocks (or they are cheaper) and emissions are not an issue on race cars.

In my opinion 2 ECU's = more electrical stuff to go wrong and I think the single throttle / air intake is prettier in the engine bay :D

5. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes, there is such a thing as a 2.7 Spider. TonyH has one (Euro spec).

Ric.

6. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    They weren't used because of old stock and they are actually less comlpicated(other than using two ECUs) in their electronics than a 5.2.
    The 2.7 was used on the challenge cars because of more breathing capability,2 flow meters, and less complicated in the sense that there are fewer monitoring sensors(no sensor on the gas cap or knock sensors for example) than the 5.2 has. It was easier to modify the exhaust on the challenge cars, no rear 02 sensor (the 5.2 has frt. and rear). The upper exhaust on the challenge cars have no cats or by-pass valve. The 5.2 was used to meet more stringent US emmissions in '96. Regards, Vern

7. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    A few thoughts...
    1) 5.2 is like two ecu's in one box, simplistically speaking
    2) US Challenge F355 from '96-'99 were 2.7 due to, just like about everything in business and engineering, cost. Cost to manufacture. Yes it was less headaches too, but that wasn't the main motivator.
    3) Engine mechanical specifications are different between 2.7 and 5.2. I converted a 5.2 from a wreck to 2.7 back in '97. Fuel injectors were quite different and did not flow as much as the earlier engines, though had an improved pattern. Basically, Ferrari put a lot of effort into maintaining power AND cleaner emissions. (BMW accomplished it with more displacement 3.0 to 3.2 for the M3...)

Best,
    Rob

BTW, "5.2 revs more freely"... I don't agree with that. The engines accelerate the same for the same load.

8. fana355france

BANNED

Aug 10, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    Very much details ! thnks !
    Agree with the fact that the 2.7 are better to remove cathalytic because there is only 1 lambda senso before it ...
    When you remove cathalytics on a 5.2 is there a risk for engine bacause of infomations analized by the end o2 sensor or do you have to modify the ecu setting because of this modification ?