front license plate on ferrari's | FerrariChat

front license plate on ferrari's

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jamesrobba, Jan 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    GOOD QUESTION , DOES ANYONE MAKE A REMOVEABLE FRONT LICENSE PLATE HOLDER, THAT YOU CAN PUT ON &TAKE OFF VERY EASY IN CASE THE POLICE COME.WHO LIKES TO HAVE A FRONT LICENSE ON IT'S FERRARI , DOES NOT LOOK TO GOOD, I HAVE 2 TICKETS FOR NO FRONT PLATE , PLEASE HELP, LIVE IN CALIF!

2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    keep the plate with one srew in it under your seat. if stopped take it out and say it just fell off and you'll fix it when you get home. worked for me me years. then i moved to fl. no plate, no emissions, no inspections, no snow, no shirt,no shoes,no problem..

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Funny you say that. I stopped a guy a few years ago who told me the exact same story. Difference was he had installed a new body kit a few weeks earlier and had never even tapped holes on the new bumper for the plate. Told me it had fell off the night before ---there were no holes for it to fall out of. He got the $55 ticket...... Not even for the tag just for lying so poorly..

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    By the way---was a Honda Civic--not a Fcar...

5. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    phew, i'm from MD too. i was driving my RX7 though and it did have the tag holes. the best lie contains the most truth.

6. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I forgot who wrote it, but an Fchatter exlained, that if it could be proven in just the right measure in court, a front plate on a Ferrari would restrict the amount of air allowed to the cooling system; therefore damaging a very expensive engine. (Plate interferes with the design of the car)

This front plate/Red light cam racket is something else, you can enter California illegally: vote, get a job, get medical in select areas, but so help you God, don't even think about driving without a front plate, or a loud exhaust and those "Protect and Serve" guys will nail your butt. My friends, I am confused here about this state's priorities.(sarchasm)

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    What are you saying?? If it was a ferrari,you woulda sent him on his way without a ticket? Regardless of the bull**** he told you? LOL ;)

8. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I haven't run a front plate since 2001 and haven't been stopped for it yet. There's no place to put it anyway; and with my antique plates I figure I will claim I don't want to drill holes and fabricate a holder if stopped. I may still get the ticket but since it's not a moving violation I'll take my chances.

Ken

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #9 GrigioGuy, Jan 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Heh

This is what I do during inspection time. I don't run one normally :D

There was a thread in the Classic section once, a guy used the tow hook and a trailer plate bracket to make one that screwed on and off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    #10 F SPIDER, Jan 5, 2006
  11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    True - but the 308/328 have no natural place for it. Depends on the model.

Well I was gonna laugh - except that I live here... I've gone without a front plate on my weekend cars, and only got stopped once: speeding warning, but a $10 fixer ticket for no front plate on my (since sold) SLK. A little double-sided tape on the plate/bumper was enough to get the car past inspection at the police station, though Tillman's setup would probably let you drive farther.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry no pics, but I took four flat straps of stainless and drilled and bolted them across the grill bars to 'sandwich' the bar without scratching.

Then bent the longer straps ninety degrees down as plate mounting tabs.

I agree it should be mounted to one side of the grill on 308s, to avoid too much airflow blockage. You can also mount it on the lowest grill bar but I have a nerf bar down there...

It's become a HOT issue with Texas Enforcement Officials and the "behind the seat" defense will NOT fly based upon my most recent 'friendly' discussions....
    take your choice, I hate going downtown and waiting for my name on the Docket! ;)

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They like my brackets, but I've seen Mercedes owners have to provide the court with photos of PERMANENT attachment....no sticky tape!! LOL!

14. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    #14 330gt, Jan 5, 2006
    The parts book for a US 308 shows a bracket for a front license plate. I bought one, but it wasn't obvious where it was to mount. I ended mounting it to the grill on the RH side. But in two years I can put historic plates (in WA) on it and won't need a front plate.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I think the only reason cops ***** and moan about front plates is it gives them something flat and metallic to aim their laser/radar guns at and get a decent reading. Do the math - is a $55 no-plate ticket cheaper than a $285 speeding ticket? Why don't you ask your insurance company.

Question -are front-plate tickets considered moving violations? Are such tickets even counted against you by insurance companies?

16. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    I have had a few run ins with this myself... and have went to court on all of em, and no one ever seems to answer the question, , but I get pushed off on the law... so here goes..

If you put a license plate on a FCAR, most of them hold the plate beloww the legal hieght, which is a violation as well.

So unless they want me to mount in square on the hood, there is no reall place to mount it and be in confirmation with the law.

Any input ?

-a

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No/no, at least in California.

You're in violation of a law, just a different section (depending on your state). The whole issue seems trivial enough that you could probably contest it, but it's analogous to making a legal lane change at 40mph over the speed limit -- you obeyed one law, broke another.

18. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    #18 Steve King, Jan 6, 2006
  19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  20. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Steve King: can you show a close-up photo and details of how you mounted it?- Looks good, I hope you didn't drill any holes.
    Steve

21. jbsmooth1

jbsmooth1 Karting

Jul 8, 2004
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Jon Bresler
    Can you put it in the front of your windsheild, inside the car? I dont know if that counts, but hey, its a frontward facing license plate, that might do the trick with no fabrication!

22. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Yep drilled 2 holes and used a licience plate bracket from an early chevy. Also this is where the euro licience plate is mounted and there is a bracket for that but I never looked to see if I could buy one. A friend of mine had a 308 in the UK where I saw the front plate mount. I don't know why anyone gets bent outa shape for putting a few holes in the car. Its no big deal and like a chip or dent or rust it can get repaired . Enjoy the ride

23. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse

Steve,

I don't know what kind of roads you drive over, but here in humboldt county if it hangs below the air dam/ft valance it is going to get cleaned off/bent over. I need skid plates.

FWIW, the only time i have ever ben hasseled about a ft plate was at the SF airport, where the security people said i had better move along or that hard ass cop up the way a bit would come over here and do me for no front plate.

Does anyone know what is needed to be designated "historic"??

Will this let you get around the smog requirements??

Will this let you get by without a ft plate??

chris

24. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004.htm

These would be exempt from smog due to age. Not sure about the front plate requirement.

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I had a cop pull me over for speeding in my BB and he said he had a hard time picking me up with no front plate, took him a few tries to get me he said. He also said "I know these cars arent condusive to having a front plate so take your chances, I dont care". He gave me a slap on the wrist and said my exhaust is really strong, couldnt stand behind it while it idled, hehehe. Anyway, I still dont have a plate and Ill avoid it as long as possible.