What do you guys think of the Ferrari 599 GTB? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What do you guys think of the Ferrari 599 GTB?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Ferrarispeed28, Jan 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    The design will never live up too the elegancy of the 550 or 575, but I will have to wait to see it in person to make my final decision.

2. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    It's an embarrasement to have Pinifarinina's name associated with this design. I agree with JStone that the Ferrari's design should be a timeless classic. Whenever I saw a Testarrossa, 348, 355 or even a 308 (yes Clyde, I love the 308) my heart skips a beat. Unfortunately the 599 came far short of expectation and will go down in my record book as one of the ugliest Ferrari design ever.

Actually, the front of the car looks like an Italian Viper.

Makes me wanna go out and buy a Gallardo...well, maybe I wouldn't go that far ;)

3. rafo

rafo Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    CA
    Harsh crowd. I think it looks better than the 550 and 575.

I didnt buy a 550 or a 575 and I wont buy the 599 either. front-engine, heavy ferraris with lots of power do not interest me.

Ferrari can and does design some radical cars; look at the Enzo. The Enzo is only a few years old; Pininfarina has not lost the magic. There will be others, but the 550/575/599 was never slated to be eye popping.

Every Ferrari model can't be the show stopper. There has to be a few "normal" cars in the mix since they need to cater to their customers. The 599 will cater to the buyer that wants the somewhat understated Ferrari. Not every Ferriari buyer wants the bright flashy exotic car.

4. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The truth finally comes out. :D

5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Apropos of Bill Sawyer's comment, I think the Daytona was a love it or hate it proposition at the time; while I certainly wasn't buying in those days, I know that when I got into Ferrari circles, the sentiment was that the style of the Daytona, even many years later, could arouse strong feelings positive or negative, but many who didn't like the design grew to appreciate it years later. And, because it was replaced by a car which, according to test reports at the time, couldn't make the speed of the Daytona (and wasn't imported into the States by Ferrari), the Daytona became sort of legendary. Today, I look at it as a time capsule from that period, and regard its style in the same way-
    Ironically, I was told by a friend who was a dealer at the time that the spyders languished- they couldn't get rid of them.
    The thing that makes the Daytona interesting despite it antediluvian architecture is that it was a bold stroke. And, really different looking than the 275GTB/4 which preceded it.
    This 599 seems to come from the school of 'let's take classic ferrari elements' and glom them together into something that rings a variety of historical notes.
    The overall shape of the Bergman car, used for the 612, is present here at the front of the car; the hood scoops are Daytona, aren't they?; the side windows do that thing that the 250 SWB interim Berlinetta did; I'm not sure what to make of the flanks or the rear. It just doesn't strike me as a coherent design (more one of committee), or a particularly fresh one. Whether it will stand the test of time remains to be seen.
    I'm sure it will look better in the flesh, but i'm not having lust attacks either.

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    would buy one over any other front-engine GT car currently made

7. Tom C

Tom C Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I actually kind of like the design of the 599. My only suggestion is that they use it to replace the 612 design. I don't think it would be too difficult to elongate the car to make room for the back seats. Then they should start again on a real replacement for the 575. The 599's design although nice is not a proper replacement.

Tom

8. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    It makes me miss the 80s and 90s. When the 355 came out it was sex on wheels from day one; the 550 entered as elegeant and the epitome of a GT. I think all this "it grows on you" styling nowadays is pure b.s. Like we need to be forced to gradually appreciate something overtime that we didn't originally like.

If there's no other girls, sure, over a period of time (and maybe after a few beers) you'll start to like the goofy girl next door. What the hell though, it didn't used to be like this...

Lambo, Lotus, Aston Martin, and GM (Corvette), etc. still knock my socks off even though I appreciate their classics immensely. I don't see why Ferrari has so much trouble.

9. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Agreed. The 355 is still stunning. I like it more than the 360.

The 599 makes me shudder at the thought of what the 430 successor will look like. Is the magical Ferrari designing streak over?

10. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    ^Great post, whart.

11. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I happen to like it, alot.

And remember, F-car press shots ALWAYS suck.
    Remember how eveyone hated the F430....

People always hate change, and ***** and whine....