612 Scaglietti...takin a hit! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

612 Scaglietti...takin a hit!

Discussion in '612/599' started by Skyler360Spider, Jan 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Takes one to know one......

2. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    Look a little closer at the Window sticker.

I know all of you love FOWashington but they love to sell cars to flippers.
    I have been told that they'd rather sell 3 cars a year to a "loyal customer" than hassle with a buyer who's buying a F-car every 5 years.

The loyal customer is a flipper and they well know it.

Then they moan that their cars show up in La and on EBay..
    So if their selling as many cars as they do, its lots of new-ones to flippers and older cars in the showroom to their other customers. They even buy back their own cars from Ebay to put in the showroom then pronounce proudly, a 'round-about "We sold this one new, its our original customer".

Most cars seem to go to a few flippers who drive'em a few weeks and then put them on EBay.

Ferrari loves its cars , loves FOW and obviously don't give a damn. So thats here you should go to get a almost brand new FOW car! EBay....

3. sagasea

sagasea Rookie

Sep 15, 2005
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott W.
    Look even closer at the window sticker and you'll see it reads..."4 speed automatic with lock up torque convertor" as the tranny in this car??????

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i disagree. it looks horrible IMO. the front just looks too flat.

5. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Actually, gents, this is the first 612 I've heard of that isn't reselling at or above $250K.

Contrary to popular opinion, most owners love the car so much they're not trading it in. And when they do trade it in, it commands a higher percentage of its original price than anything other than V8 or limited edition Ferraris. Just look at F-chat's own JASLally. He traded in his stunning 612 and I watched it sit on Ferrariusa.com's marketplace section for all of a month at $260 or so before it was gone.

You're blowing this unique situation out of proportion. Who knows what the owner was willing to do to get rid of the car, a 6-speed at that?

Forza,

Cavallini

6. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

Remy, before I'd seen some live, outdoor shots of the car I would have agreed with you.

But when you see some live shots from a distance you understand the lines much more clearly. It's actually very sensuous and beautiful, just not flamboyant or racer-like.

It's simply not a photogenic car, at least from most angles and definitely not indoors or in studio shots. Find pics of it on grass and you'll see the lines.

I'm hoping the 599 has the same problem because right now to me it looks like a Cadillac-Corvette hybrid.

Forza,

Cavallini

7. Skyler360Spider

Skyler360Spider Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2005
    The OC, USA
    Thank you for your thoughts Gentlemen. I personally like the 612...just because of the extra two seats for the kids...that way I could drive it every day unlike my Spider only on the weekends. I will consider it if it continues to depreciate for another year.

Best Regards,

Skyler

"Fortune and Glory Kid...Fortune and Glory."

8. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    very true....

9. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I too like the 612 and I'm hoping the same thing (prices to drop a bit), and then pick one up to use as a weekend family car). If prices come down to something I can stomache I'd love to have one. 612's look good in lighter colors to me. grigio alloy etc...

10. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004

A quick survey of The current Ferrari Market Letter shows prices at the following: $229,000 $245,000 $250,000 $253,000 and a few crazy people at 275,000. While the car in question might be the first one you have heard of below 250,000 the cars I referenced surely can be bought well below 250,000 wouldnt you say? While the red car is a little low, its not that crazy of a number and most likely we will see more in that range sooner than later.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Current wholesale is $210K-215 for manual and $220K-225 for F1.

12. ARED4RE

ARED4RE Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    Still have time to bid. Before we trash the price, let's see what it sells for. And if a dealer buys it it might be premature to declare its value is dropping like a rock. They would expect to sell it for more.

13. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

From these numbers you've cited, I would say the 612 is depreciating along normal exotic automobile lines, like Astons, Bentley GTs, Lambos, Porsches and Maseratis. For all I know the 612 might be depreciating less quickly than these makes. It would be interesting to compare.

The absurdity of Enzo, 360, 430 and Superamerica prices have blown the 612's "normal" numbers way out of proportion.

I predict that for some time the only 612s that will drop this low will be high-mileage 6-speeds. Even for its price, it's by far the best in it's class and with Ferrari's production decreases, it will retain its value.

Forza,

Cavallini

14. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

I think the 6-speed is the fatal depreciation flaw for this one. Like the Challege Stradale, this car was made for the F1.

But I think you're right about a dealer purchase, which could be the reason it's being offered at such a low price. It will be interesting to see.

Forza,

Cavallini

15. Ronbo

Ronbo Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Morris County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron
    FWIW, I met real, live 612 owner today. He is actually a huge collector, with literally dozens of high line cars. He LOVES his 612, which is his daily driver. I still think it needs to go to the car spa, but he could drive anything on the planet and chose the Scag. So what do I know?

16. jplotus1

jplotus1 Karting

Feb 6, 2005
    Was offered today 612 for $210,000.00. No interest .

17. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I would have preferred FIAT to give the Burghermeister-Barge brief to Maserati, and left Ferrari to build sportscars and svelte GTs.

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Ferrari has been making V12 2+2s for longer than it has made mid engined V8s...

19. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes of course, but they were never so HUGE.

20. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    After first seeing photos of the 612, I was hoping that it would look better in the flesh. After all, the performance of this car is very respectable for a 4 seat GT. I wanted to like the car. Well when I seen it up close ,It just didn't do it for me. The interior was quite beautiful but the exterior left something lacking. The large hood was just too wide and flat. The front end has too much Panos in it, and the overall design is a bit too bland. I was a bit dissapointed because I feel Ferrari has a great car, it just needs a new suit.

Darrell.

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My 365 GT4 is about the same size as my old S class Benz.

There was a reason the 365 GT 2+2 was called the queen mother.

They've been big for a while. Of course, society is also getting fatter too...

22. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    this week's autoweek "market" has a 2004 (?) ferrari 612 scagletti 2+2 sold at a all ferrari auction in gstaad, switzerland for $176,332.00. described as grey w/tan F1A, 150 miles on the odometer. a new car.

per ferrari market guru keith martin, "the original owner lost $75,000.00 and worse, it's value will continue to plummet. all 2+2 ferraris do poorly in the resale market. as soon as the next 2+2 comes out, this will quickly be a $85,000 car..."

ouch! he described his first sighting of a 612 " when i first saw the 612, i thought somone had taken a 575 maranello and made it into an overinflated blow up toy. this car is wal-mart sized."

his words, not mine. however, i think many people in the know agree that ferrari struck out on this one.

joe

23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Two year old 612 with only 150 miles seems like it has some bad history.Plus 612's are bringing a lot less in Europe.

24. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    I love the 612 personally, but in its first year it has dropped $3K to 4k per month. In its second year it will drop at least another $2.5K per month just sitting in your driveway. These cars will be wholesaling at $175K in 9 months.

You can buy them all day long right now for $225K.

Due to the controversial styling (to some, not me) they look to be dropping even faster than the 456's which were universally acclaimed as beautiful and one did not have to "get used to" how they looked.

There is no way to avoid concluding that Ferrari missed it here.

25. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    What Ferrari really needs is a SUV or mini van. 612s just not big enough.