GruppeM Carbon Airboxes for 355/360 | FerrariChat

GruppeM Carbon Airboxes for 355/360

Discussion in '348/355' started by Skyler360Spider, Jan 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skyler360Spider

Skyler360Spider Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2005
    The OC, USA
    One of the F Chatters had inquired about Carbon Airboxes. I found an article regarding GruppeM's where they are good for 20 hp on the 355 and similar or more on the 360...of course you could add Larini Sports Cats on the 360 and get upto 32 ponies more. GruppeMs are hard to come by right now, I feel lucky to have mine last year.
    Here' the info:

Tuning Japanese: A peek inside Gruppe M, Japan’s hottest tuner shop.

We are greeted at Gruppe M’s research and development center on the outskirts of Yokohama in Japan by company founder and president Mamoru Ogose. Many entrepreneurs tend to use their last names when it comes to naming their companies; Ogose chose his first initial as a symbolic nod to the company’s first-name-basis approach to business that goes back to when Ogose started his shop in the late 1980s.

Back then no one in Japan was making bolt-on air intake kits to upgrade horsepower, so Ogose fell into a market niche. Ogose says working for German Porsche tuner Ruf inspired him to create his own designs and build his own products. Before long he was collaborating with filter giant K&N, and his custom carbon fiber airboxes were fast becoming hot tuner commodities.

user posted image

Today Gruppe M has 12 employees and annual revenues of $4.8 million. It is a key supplier of carbon fiber air intake systems used in racing, mostly in the Japanese Grand Touring Car Championship and Japan endurance car racing, but also in Formula One and the FIA GT Championship in the United Kingdom. Tuning affiliates of Japanese car manufacturers—Mugen, Nismo and MazdaSpeed—also rely on Gruppe M for the development and construction of their road and race car airboxes and filter kits.

In the United States a small number of die-hard enthusiasts are on a first-name basis with Gruppe M, thanks to the company’s popular supercharger kit for the Acura NSX. The $8,000 kit, developed in collaboration with Eaton, features a small intercooler and pushes engine output from 280 hp to 370 hp. A 420-hp kit for the Mercedes-Benz E55 is available and can also be bolted onto the S55, ML55 and SL55.

It is not just the immaculately clean and organized operation at Gruppe M that sets Ogose’s business apart from his Japanese competitors, many of whom are backyard tuners laboring inside rough corrugated tin buildings. At Gruppe M all design, testing and development are done in-house—with all testing completed on the bench before the parts are bolted onto cars for road testing. For instance, to simulate high-speed cooling, a custom-built fan provides a constant 155-mph wind to keep the dyna*mometer cool and to create realistic intake charges.

It is no doubt a tribute to Ogose’s squeaky clean operation that customers entrust their very expensive and rare cars to his care. On the shop floor during our visit were a 1000-hp Koenigsegg Turbo Ferrari Testarossa getting fitted with a custom intake, a 996 Gemballa in for some engine work, and Ogose’s own rare 1972 Porsche Carrera 2.8 RS, a pet restoration project Ogose regularly drives on road courses.

user posted image

One of the crown jewels is Ogose’s Ferrari F355, outfitted with a $3,250 carbon/Kevlar airbox and K&N filters that boost output by 20 hp over a stock engine.

The shiny carbon fiber box, sporting the Gruppe M logo, looks right at home sitting atop one of Maranello’s beautiful engines. Ogose wouldn’t have put his first initial on it any other way.

Gruppe M, http://www.gruppem.co.jp

Article from: www.autoweek.com

2. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    I posted a thread last week regarding the use of MACARBON air boxs. They are sponsors on the board and need some feed back on there product. I love the GRUPPE M INTAKE but not the price point. The MACARBON is $1300 less then half the price. I have alot of experence in after market parts and yes there are huge $$$$ payed for Brands that sometimes are over priced.Your opinon....BEN

3. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I have had the GruppeM air box on my 95 F355 for two years and I can tell you it does add power. I am not sure that the MACARBON has the same K&N filter inside. I saw this same filter on the LeMans Corvette and the Audi's.

4. SP_wEaZeL

SP_wEaZeL Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    Being able to deal with Gruppe-M USA extensively I learned a few things about the company. The quality, craftsmanship, and the time spent on these units are well worth it's value. I understand products like the MA Carbon intake covers are 1/2 the price, don't get me wrong, John has great products, but the Gruppe-M is a complete unit. The full replacement, with heat shield, and new K&N Air filters. Gruppe-M is also K&N Japan, and that wasn't just because he has the money to do it, but it's because K&N felt that their product and his worked well together. I've seen them on the 355/360/Gallardos/M3, and never once has there been any problems with them. The quality and fitment is unlike any other. The only bad thing, is the instructions are in Japanese, LOL. Regardless, I will continue to support the product as long as it's available here in the US. As far as proven test and horsepower gains, I can only say from talking to my customers that they love it and have noticed gains in their own opinions.

5. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    I am wanting one for my 360 (actually now for 2 of them) both 360's do yo uhave a hook up ?

-a

6. SP_wEaZeL

SP_wEaZeL Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    It won't be for awhile since there is no real USA Gruppe-M now. It's a little tricky. =/

7. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    #7 riverflyer, Jan 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got mine from www.gruppem-usa.com
    They are a bit elusive but we worked out a very good price and both units I have ordered were sent out right away. They do have some supply problems from the Japanese end, but once here, are good about filling orders and will work with people.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Dam looks awesome. What actually gives the HP increase. I assume lighter weight. Better air flow??

9. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've heard everything from 8 - 22 HP. Has anyone ever dyno'd before and after? $3,000 is a lot for 8 HP, even though it sounds great.

10. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    that web address doesnt work..

-a

11. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    NAPerformance on this site is/was a dealer but some weeks ago said they weren't available until further notice so "don't request until he gets word they are", or something like that. I'm sure Kevin will check in on this. I'm intrigued for my 355 and will follow them. Esthetics if nothing else..they are gorgeous in the engine compartment..

Chris

12. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    #12 riverflyer, Jan 25, 2006
    Stock boxes are not very heavy so its all in the airflow. NO angles, all very smooth inside and a highly engineered structure/shape to deliver non turbulent. Supposedly, they do lots of air tunnel research on their products and really get the flow tuned, reducing turbulence and maximizing flow in the most advantagous current. This is what I was told by a Japanese company rep. Could be rubbish, but I think not, especially if you look at the two side by side. If you blow into a corner, you get backflow and misdirection. If you blow into a smooth curve, you get directional movement. I am no engineer, but just the shape and interior architecture convinced me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    I had placed an order with Kevvin like 9 months ago, and nada.. I just spoke w with someone from JP..

will keep you posted.. he acutally said they can ship now..

(I am ordering 2)

-a

14. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    #14 mgtr1990, Jan 25, 2006
  15. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I have one one my 360 and needed a couple of questions answered.
    E Mailed japan and got the reply the next day from the company owner.

Russell

16. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    Does this increase the induction sound as well?

17. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    okay so here goes...

I called and spoke with them in JP 2 days ago, and my unit is being shipped next week.

I wired the funds this morning, and they are getting it built and then shipped.

they said about 3 weeks total..

Not sure what Kevin from NA Performance was talking about or why this is happening this way, but I will have the answer in 3 weeks.

-a

18. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I know of a shop in Hong Kong who sells Gruppe M parts and other parts for the 360 and 430.

I bought a set of CSL wheels for my M3 when they were hard to come by. The pricing was reasonable.

It says on their site the Gruppe M airbox is $2,890. I don't think shipping will cost that much.

I'm not affiliated with them, I just want to help my follow fchatters out.

PM me if you guys are interested.

19. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    I got the Gruppe M airbox Carbon, with shipping for less then 2100.00

-a

20. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That's definitely a better price than the shop I was talking about. I think some of their carbon pieces are cheaper than other places. I just don't know about the fit and finish, but their M3 parts are good.

Aaron, post pics when it comes in!

21. P-FACTOR

P-FACTOR Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #21 P-FACTOR, Jan 27, 2006
  22. ilikecars

ilikecars Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    East Coast
    That looks like fiberglass in your picture, on the inside of that intake. Those GruppeM intakes are certainly 'noticeable' when you open the engine compartment - Visually, do you feel like it dominates the engine?

23. GTRMagic

GTRMagic Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Hey Mr Dee Jay....
    I thought i had seen the brand somewhere... they sponsor a Carrera Cup and GT3 RS in British series'

Website for Europe (at least it is in English :) )
    http://www.gruppemeurope.com/aai.html

The appearance & presentation in the pic above is very nice too...

24. B.R.

B.R. Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2006
    Full Name:
    B.R.
    I for one dont believe nothing unless you have dyno proven results before install and affter install. For one thing a airbox will not give you 20hp one of my friends has one on his stradale and I drove it. The sound of the air getting sucked in, Sounds like a supercharger its loud and its a sucking sound . The throttle response is better to a certin degree, but did I feel a differance in HP? no way. Even if you pick up 15hp you dont feel that kind of minimum power. Add 30-40hp and you feel that some, Groupe M make a high quality product I think the price is a bit steep but many say buying a NGT exhaust for 4gs is insane also.. The exhaust changes sound no hp thats for sure and for a better sound I think spending the money is worth it..For cosmetics??? To each his own I guess...

Groupe M are really something but until I see dyno results before and affter I don't buy it..

25. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I saw dyno results from a car dynoed by Bob Watson in England. He is a well known Ferrari, Lambo and Prosche tuner. It was a gain of 10-20hp in all rpm ranges. The torque curve was also better for low end torque. Contact Scuderia which I think is a sponser. He sent me a dyno sheet before I bought mine. Don't just look at maximum hp at 8200rpm but look how it changes hp and torque at various rpm. What do you think that better throttle response that you are feeling is? It is an increase in torque and hp at lower rpms.