Alfa Romeo 164S | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo 164S

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by otaku, Jan 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I've been looking at one for sale in washington state (closest alfa I can find to me and one of the cheapest) its red/black. However it has a dent and a scratch on the trunk-any idea how much it would cost to fix these two things? Also it needs brakepads. The buyer has agreed to take 3,000 in cash for the car.

Is this a good buy? How much will the car cost me in repairs (see above damages) its a 93 with 111,000 on it, one owner and the interior is in great shape. It has been maintained by alfa of tacoma. That is who I plan on having my repairs etc. done by.

2. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Have the belts been done?

Also check the power steering for leaks and ask about the stepper motor (AC and Heat). How about door handles? any cracking? expect to replace them often.

Aside from that the 164 is a very strong car if its taken care of! I have two. one with 195K and the other just hitting 165K. Very enjoyable cars and if you enjoy tinkering not hard to maintain.

3. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    As pimpdaddy said, weakspots are stepper gears/ac/climate controls, chek if most things electronic work, including the shocks and make sure the belts, tensioners and water pump have been done.

4. Eau_Rouge

Eau_Rouge Karting

Feb 9, 2006
    Benelux / France
    Make sure the rear suspension bridge and the front sub-frame have not rusted through.

Also check the rear body frame where the doors shut around the wheelarches for rust. Apart from that, the 164 is a good car. I have a late model Super as a cheap runabout. Very enjoyable with good Pininfarina styling. The V6 tends to run up to 250.000 kms before an engine refurbishment is required.

5. Brianjonesphoto

Brianjonesphoto Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    Where is Washington is it?