Brokerage Fees to high?? | FerrariChat

Brokerage Fees to high??

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by LLM, Mar 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LLM

LLM Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    I have a full service broker. He does a good job constantly beating the indexes. He plays with a few stocks he knows well and trades in and out several times during the year. This method does generate what seems to be high trading fees, although in general I am very happy with his performance. During this years tax meeting, my CPA took a look at my portfolio and commented that I might be better off doing a flat management fee vs. a fee for each trade. After looking more closely at the fees, it does seem that total trading fees are high.

Let's say for example my total portfolio increases in value about 20%. What would you expect to pay in broker trading fees for that kind of performance?

Or, should I be looking at the total size of my portfolio and base a fee on total size of the account, however, I do think it should be performance based. That said, using this method, if you think it's the correct way to look at it, what would you expect to pay in fees?

Any thoughts?

2. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    Should be moved to Business and Investments (consider starting a thread there next time).

I don't personally know the answer to your question, since I've given up on using brokers and just plan and place my own trades through an online brokerage. Commissions are rock-bottom this way.

3. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I currently use EdJones. But that is ending gradually as I am getting better at the job. In the end, if stuff stays the same, my entire family is moving to Scottrade which has the smallest per trade fees.

I just do not want to pay full commissions anymore and their ideas have never really been that good to start with. Some of them have been down right fantasy geared to make the company, and the broker, money.

4. LLM

LLM Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    You are right, Thanks.

Can someone move it over?

5. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

I pay my broker a flat % of my account balance instead of on a per-trade basis. That aligns his goals with mine. We both want the account to get as big as possible. On a per-trade basis, his motivation would be to do a lot of trades instead of focusing on the best performance.

6. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Depending on the account size you should be paying around 1% of assets. Stop paying for transactions. Some money managers will allow you to set up an account where they make nothing unless you make money. But they typically charge more than 1% in positve years.

Matt

7. LLM

LLM Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Does this fee structure seem about right?

Portfolio size----------Fees
    $0 - $100k---------3% to 5%
    $100K - $500k-----2% to 3%
    $500k - $1M-------1.5% to 2%
    $1M - $5M---------1% to 1.5%
    $5M + ------------<1%

8. LLM

LLM Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    What is your flat fee percentage?

9. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY

The $0-500k ranges seem too high. At $1M you should be able to get right at or less than 1%. Around .50% - .75% at $3M+. Any amount less than $1M should never be higher than 3%.

Matt

10. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

I pay 1%.