How difficult to learn is F1 shifting in the 355? | FerrariChat

How difficult to learn is F1 shifting in the 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by prodigaltom, Mar 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. prodigaltom

prodigaltom Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tom Spearman
    Hi all,

I'm in the market for a 355 Spider 6-speed manual, but only because I know nothing about F1 shifting. I figure I would be remiss if I didn't explore the F1 option--especially with the breadth and depth of knowledge available on this board.

First of all, how different of an experience is it using the F1? Is it hard to learn? I've never done any paddle shifting before. Is the automatic mode fully automatic so it's just like driving a Camry (figuratively speaking, of course)?

Basically, I have limited the scope of my search to the 6-speed manual because I'm afraid of the F1 due to my lack of familiarity. The last thing I want to do is get an F1 and have an accident while struggling to drive it.

Also, what's the deal with that little shifter? Is that just for reverse?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

2. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    F1 is easy to learn but it's not easy to master. I think after about the 2nd month of driving my Maserati CC, I finally got everything down perfect.

I can tell you this though, the F355 F1 system was the first system put in an F-car production car. I've heard alot of negative things about it and repairing it is extremely expensive. I would really suggest you drive one first before opting one over a 6spd.

3. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    If you do a search on F1 vs 6speed you will find a wealth of info. Good luck.

4. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Ya I hear the first generation paddle shifters are hard on the clutch, which is really expensive to repair.

If you were searching for a F430 or something on that level, I doubt I could post anything negative as most people seem to love it.

Another downside of a first generation paddle shifter might (no first hand experience here) be some jerkiness when shifting.

Having never driven a F1 Gearbox, I would opt for the manual for my first F-Car, even if it is newer. I have experience with that, and I like the feel of being in complete control.

5. prodigaltom

prodigaltom Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tom Spearman
    Yikes. The last thing I'd want is a 5-figure repair. Wonder if I can roll up to my local Ferrari dealer and ask for a test drive. =)

Tom

6. prodigaltom

prodigaltom Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tom Spearman
    Great--thanks for the info. I used the search but didn't know exactly what to type in to get the best results.

Tom

7. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    First Ferrari? Stay traditional, a first gen paddle car will probably spoil your experience. Not real smooth, very expensive to repair, and you won't get to experience that wonderful click of the gates when you grab the next gear, my favorite thing about Ferrari next to the sound.

8. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Driving the F1 paddle shift is extremely difficult to master. If you has previous Formula One experience, that will help a great deal. Otherwise you can take my 3 day 10 step course for $8000.00 USD for private lessons

I have an a rare opening available in my schedule in 2007. Have your people contact my people...

9. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The pump alone is over $15k, someone on here found a source to get them for $4k. But either way I really recommend a 6spd. The only F1/CC/SMG cars I will ever own are cars that are in warranty. Luckily I've had no problems with the CC system on my Maserati but if I do, at least I have the piece of mind that I can sleep at night without having to worry about a 5 digit repair as opposed to owning a car out of warranty like the F355.

10. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Hysterical!

Btw, after reading the 1st few posts I was shocked that nobody was being sarcastic and said things like, "can you chew gum?, can you tie your shoes? Can you wipe your a$$?...then you can drive the F1"....in all seriousness, if my wife can drive it, anyone can. Don't listen to all the BS about the driving experience and repairs...It is a ball to drive...it's like being in a video game. IMHO, whatever you get, 6spd or F1, you made the right choice b/c either car you are going to have more fun than you have ever had.

11. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I just went through the same thought process before buying and ended up with the F1. It took a few hours to get the hang of it before I truly shifted smoothly but now I love it. I heard all the stories about rough shifting and expensive repairs but when I truly did my due diligence I found that it appears to be far more reliable than most give it credit for and is an absolute blast to drive.

Either way, you're not going to go wrong. The only advice I would give you is to make sure you get a Tubi. That's the one thing that I would truly not go without having just spent the money to add one.

The sounds are incredible especially on those high RPM shifts.

12. AVMotorsport

AVMotorsport Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex V
    My preference is the F1. It just shifts with lightning speed, faster than any 6-speed ever will. Even when cold, I find it smooth with little difference as when hot.

It is not difficult to learn how to shift it at all, whether cruising around town, or during spirited driving. It is very easy, so easy in fact that some people consider it a negative. Then again, stranger things have happened. <g>

There are just a few things to remember. One is that the throttle is not computer controlled (as in fly by wire), so you will have to rev-match (aka heel and toe, or blipping the throttle) when downshifting. And avoid driving in reverse for extended periods, especially going uphill. The computer programming prevents complete engagement of the clutch during reverse. Do these things religiously, and your clutch will last. I still have the original clutch in mine and it is still going strong at 22K miles. Compare that to my NSX, whose OEM clutch I had to replace at 25K. And replacing the clutch on a 355 is not anymore expensive to do as with any other car; it is easier to replace as a matter of fact.

It is true that there are some expensive parts in the F1 system that might break down. But resident Ferrari experts like Rifledriver will tell you that while there may be seemingly spectacular cases of owners spending a fortune on replacing these parts, these occurences are extremely rare. And most, if not all of the time, the cause of failure is a $15 relay. Or a pump motor that could've been rebuilt.

A lot of negatives have been said about the 355 F1 system. But take that with an open mind, as I can tell you from FIRST HAND experience that it is a BLAST to drive.

I have driven countless 6-speeds during my search of a car, and I can tell you that these transmissions are not the smoothest or precise in the world, and has its own set of quirkiness. And a 6-speed will never be as fast shifting as an F1 system.

You want a real experience driving a traditional manual transmission? Get an NSX. It has one of the best shifters in the world.

YMMV.

Cheers,

Alex

PS. Hey, Monte, didn't you used to own an NSX, too?

13. prodigaltom

prodigaltom Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tom Spearman
    Thanks for the detailed response! It just makes my choice that much harder. =)

Tom

14. fifrules

fifrules Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jon Kepler
    I just put a down payment on one! Definitely great, but I've never driven a Ferrari to compare it to.

15. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    NSX do have a great shifter, I have owned two. An S2000 also has a great shifter, it's just that niether one is a Ferrari.

16. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Tom,

It's a common question because it's a good one. As a general rule of thumb you'll find that most owners will swear and attest to the shifter they themselves have already. No doubt, those who bash the F1 likely have 6-speed, and 6-speeders will generally knock the F1. That said, I have a 6-speed and can assure you the F1 sucks! ;)

Those who say they've had both and support one....it's the one they currently own. No help there either.

There are those who go to F1 and say they'll never go back, at the same time there are far more who went to F1, hated it and went back to 6-speed....so that may count for something.

It's 100% preference...that much is certain.

The F1 in the 355 is very raw...when you shift at higher rpm's it slaps ya, some people hate it, some think it's cool. If you shift at lower rpm's you can get very smooth and mellow shifts....the kind that'll help the clutch last a long long time. If you really get on it, expect to burn through clutches much faster...about 40%. I know one guy is is borderline abusive on his F1 355 clutch...he blew his up pretty quickly...but he smiled the whole way and just tossed some coin at it to fix.

When I'm running through the tight canyons with the boys on the weekends....oh heck would an F1 make things a LOT easier & faster. Undeniably the F1 is the track hero and the faster. With F1 you don't have to take either hand off the steering wheel or work the clutch. At the same time, I feel a whole lot more connected and part of the car when I get to shift it. If you like the drama of working the gate...then the 6-speed is awesome.

Are we closer to helping you decide? Probably not....

Resale value...it's a toss-up with 6-speeds generally being more classic and supposedly sought after in the long run. Should you consider resale when buying a car like this: NO. Buy it cause you love the car, not because you are concerned about a few thousand +/- when it comes time to sell.

Most wil agree that if this is going to be your first Ferrari....you should start with a 6-speed. It's a tad cheaper to buy, cheaper to own, more reliable and more fun. If you need to be the fastest guy through the canyon, buy an Elise or Exige...if you need to be the fastest buy something with 12 cylinders. If your pressed for money buy a vette. If the 355 is what you really love...I think the 6-speed is the ticket.

But more then anything....buy the car you like most and the best condition one you can find. Either shifter you'll still LOVE the car!!!!

17. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Hey Alex, hows the ol girl running? Any changes? Pics? JOhn

18. prodigaltom

prodigaltom Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tom Spearman
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to offer such insightful advice. I'll start with a 6-speed. For me, I think it's the better place to start when getting my feet wet in the Ferrari world.

LOL, I probably have the slowest V12 in the modern car era--otherwise known as the BMW 850Ci. Don't get me wrong--I love it, but it's not a definitely not a car for racing.

Tom

19. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Good memory Alex! I still have the NSX, it just has a bunk mate now with the 355. Both great cars in their own right, both black, both a blast to drive.

Tom, as far as which one you get...it doesn't matter as long as you're happy with your purchase and enjoy the experience but you DO owe it to yourself to have at least one in your lifetime. You won't regret it.

I get this stupid grin on my face everytime I drive my 355 and I truly have no idea what the radio sounds like in the car since the best music of all is performed live right behind me.

20. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Congrats on your decision Tom, be sure to post pics once you get the car!

Love the Avatar too btw!

21. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I also have the 6 speed and never even considered getting the F1 for the reasons stated abov. And I couldnt be happier... There's just nothing like shifting through the gates and hearing that awesome clicking sound as you go through the gears... It makes you feel 100times more involved in the whole driving experience. Now definitely make sure you get a capristo (or tubi) exhaust and you will be in heaven. 6 spedd all the way!
    gordon

22. j15

j15 F1 Rookie

Jan 5, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeh
    for someone who has not experienced the F1 transmission, what is it about them that makes it so hard to master on a 355? i would have thought such a system would be designed to simply it all?

23. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    This is more of a personal preference than the technology. I personaly prefer to do the shifting myself, however I have owned both 6 speed (355 and 550) and F1 (05 Maserati and 06 430). I think 6 Speed is a hell-of-a-lot more fun to drive and blip your own throttle, however, F1 is easy and great to have if you are on a track.

355 F1 is the first gen F1, it's nothing like the F1 in the 430 (which is almost flawless). 355 F1 is rough and aggressive; you feel like you are at a grand prix. However, 355 F1 is NOT as bad as others have portraited on here. It is a rough feel, but the wear and tear is really based on how aggressive you drive. I have quite a few friends who has 355 F1 and they absolutely love it!

24. khughes

khughes Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    i promise you there is no way you can go into a turn take your hand off the wheel and gear down and back up as fast as a person driving a f1 car can.i like 6 speed cars but, just feel more secure with the f1.

25. P3P4

P3P4 Rookie

Nov 18, 2004
    Lots of good advice and also bad information here.

The system is very easy to use. Its a stick shift box control by electro hydraulics. So it always is manual even in auto mode. The clutch is the same is the 6sp.

But one reply says how expensive it is, thats not true its on the back of the box and can be changed with out gbox removal. About 3.5 hours is book time.

Anyway driven correctly clutch life is fine. Always have a constant throttle on up shift. Put in neutral when staionary for more than 30 secs (not needed on any other model) and never use left foot on the brake when manouvering or parking. Use only your right foot. Otherwise you cant go wrong.

If you have a quick lesson from someone in the know it will take you 5 minutes to get it.