328 springs/shocks, what you use to replace OEM parts | FerrariChat

328 springs/shocks, what you use to replace OEM parts

Discussion in '308/328' started by Burrino-72, Mar 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Burrino-72

Burrino-72 Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Full Name:
    Igor
    I read a few threads and they talk about QA-1 and Verishocks, which one would you recommend for an 88.5 328 GTS? What are the part numbers? Is it an easy replacement (somewhat mechanically inclined and have a 4 post lift in my garage. Please advise

Thank you in advance

2. Burrino-72

Burrino-72 Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Full Name:
    Igor
    I figured it would be an easy answer. Can anyone direct me?

Thanks again

3. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The 88.5s had pretty good OEM parts. (Better than my early '88, I'm told.)

But if you want to go aftermarket, browse some of the ricer boards for supplier companies.

I did the DMS "gold" coil-overs on my Celica AllTrac on a low-rise lift by myself. I replaced the pillow ball mounts with camber plates at the same time, which made it easier (as I ordered them as a set from a rally car preparer who knew which parts worked together).

But you need a good parts supply at hand -- there are always surprises and details to work out. It's not just "plug and play". For example, the OEM struts had mounts to hold the brake lines. I had to ad-lib brackets for the DMS struts using stock brass.

(And be aware: not all "grade 5" hardware really are. One local hardware store sold me 14mm "grade 5" bolts that twisted to death at less than 100 ft-lbs. Ace Hardware had grade 5, but only in stainless. A milder high-carbon steel would have been preferable; stainless tends to fail all at once.)

In all, I think I spent more on upgrading my tools than on the suspension parts. (Certainly so, if you count the lift, which I ordered after realizing that I was fighting the sway bars trying to do one corner at a time.)

DMS does make parts for the 308, but I don't know if they have any to fit a 328. Many on the ricer boards prefer the Ohlins.

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I went with ohins on my 308 and am pretty happy with them. There are plenty of other options too, I guess it comes down to what you want and what you are willing to spend.

5. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Can only speak for an 1985 308GTS QV... i went with Fchat sponsor Nick Forza shocks. Because i track the car quite a bit, discovered the stock 300lbs front and 250lbs rear springs to be not quite up to the task. JUST got the Hyperco 400 lbs front and 350 lbs rear (and short springs) installed and with the shocks set at full soft (rebound and compression) they appear to better the street ride comfort of the stock springs with more shock added in.

i like adjustable shocks like Nick offers. You can make them as hard or soft as needed.

6. Corsa

Corsa Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Öhlins racing 46DR shocks, 515 lb/in front and 460 lb/in rear on my 88.5 328.
    Perfect!

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

MOST impressive! In fact my mechanic has been puching me to get Öhlins.