Just How Different is a Stadale From a 360 Modena ??? | FerrariChat

Just How Different is a Stadale From a 360 Modena ???

Discussion in '360/430' started by CDM, Mar 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    #1 CDM, Mar 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    QUOTE: “I don't see what the big hoot is. They are just a trumped up 360.”

QUOTE: “If not for the physical resemblance between the two, one could make the argument that these two are not even from the same lineage.”

Notes describing Challenge Stradale special features from the Ferrari brochure:

0-62 mph in 4.1 seconds. Top speed 186 mph.
    425 HP at 8500 rpm---275 lb Peak torque at 4,750 rpm.
    2602 lb dry weight, 2822 Kerb weight.
    Fuel 25.1 gal (includes 5 gal reserve)

50% more down force than 360 account diffusers, rear nolder, front/rear bumpers & sill covers.
    Ground effect aerodynamic sophistication of a F1 car.
    Racing style, racing derived F1 gearbox.

166, 250 GT, GTO, F40, CS= targeted to achieve performance w/all superfluous weight eliminated.

With CS, Ferrari returns to pure essentials of a racecar. Lightweight with responsive handling.
    Ferrari CS focus is on uncompromising performance & spirit of a racecar. Basically a racecar.
    Goal: transfer modifications from 360GT & Challenge car to CS.
    Transferred: aerodynamics for greater down force for speed through corners, suspension, braking with Carbon Ceramic Material brakes, plus weight reduction.
    Weight reduction: adapting every component of CS to racing practices (already has alum body/frame).

3.1 360 is aerodynamically efficient, but CS is lower & stiffer suspension improves aerodynamics.
    CS achieves same download at 149 mph that 360 achieves at 183 mph.
    At 124 mph load increase of 88 lb, saving equivalent adding a wing.
    CS at 183 mph=negative lift of 594 lb is 198 lb greater than 360
    Even with increase in down force (aerodynamic drag), the CS has same Cd .335 as 360.

Aero changes to CS:
    1.Longer front nose= increase front down force + air evacuation from radiators by larger outlet. Height of rear increased in relation to front to balance load.
    2.Aerodynamic analysis of underside of car= change front air intakes and rear underbody.
    3. Rear end=dual rear underbody to increase down force.
    Longitudinal turning vanes from F1. Rear nolder shape modified to boost efficiency.
    4. Drag & still modifications= New shape streamlines rear wheels, increase efficiency and balance car correctly.

Aerodynamic Carbon fibre mirrors borrowed from 360 GT.
    Aerodynamic 19” Challenge lightweight wheels.

3.2 Weight Reduction: 242 lb over the 360 Modena. Weight reduces inertia.
    CS has more power and less weight than 360. Result is racing performance.
    Focus on 3 areas: materials, construction technology, and project optimization.
    Use of aluminum construction: alum weighs 1/3 of steel.
    Titanium: wheel stud bolts (50% lower weight), damper springs (27% lower weight).
    Carbon Fibre: entire door panels, CF racing seat shells, tunnel, filter casing covers + interior & exterior finishing elements.
    Advanced under body construction technology reduced underbody weight by 50% with CF.
    Lexan engine bonnet, weight saving advantage: 55% lower density than glass of same thickness.
    CF cooling grills on engine bonnet.
    CCM carbon ceramic material discs: 16% weight reduction + alum brake casing saves weight.
    Engine & Gearbox: 24 lb reduction or 4% of weight.
    Unsprung masses: 11 lb reduction or 3% of weight.
    Bodywork: 207 lb or 12% of weight.

3.3 Interior: no carpets. Rev counter in center is main reference point.
    Tach has yellow background with red pointer to enhance legibility and contrast.
    Entire instrument panel enclosed in carbon fibre.
    New Steering wheel, rim squashed at top with central marker like racecar.
    Special F1 paddles. Right hand paddle extended (longer) for easier change up exiting a bend.
    CF control panel for climate system.

3.4 Motor. 3,586 cc: titanium con rods, 5 valves per cyl, (3 intake-2 exhaust) 4 camshafts
    Specially matched rotating engine pieces for improved efficiency.
    Carbon fibre air boxes. Air supply line resistance lower, and new air flow meter adopted.
    Exhaust silencer is smaller & lighter, produces less back pressure.

3.5 F1 Gearbox. CS developed entirely around F1 electrohydraulic transmission, which drives gearbox & clutch. Change gears 150 ms in extra-fast mode (race) specifically designed for CS.
    No auto gear change mode, only manual change up because it is a racecar.
    Sport mode: for low revs and comfort
    Race mode: designed for racing circuits, very fast change times.
    Sport & Race modes have built in traction control and damper settings.
    Race mode with ASR off, drive can use Launch Control borrowed from F1 cars.
    Gear in mesh displayed same as F1 cars.

3.6 Chassis components of the CS are based on 360 Modena basic structures.
    Radical changes were made to suspension system & set-up.
    Front & rear springs are titanium and 20% stiffer than 360.
    Diameter of rear anti-roll bar is larger.
    These changes increase resistance to rolling and pitching, for better driver-car interaction.
    Damper settings are specific for CS, dampening effect increased by 20%.
    CS cg lower by 15 mm, reducing transfer of loads, which exploits grip and lateral hold of the tires.
    Pirelli P Zero Corsa-new extra low-profile tires adopted specifically for CS 225/35 & 285/35 19”.
    These tires optimize the transfer of torque to the ground and balance between the two axels.
    Mounted with (lightweight) titanium stud bolts. 1.3 lateral G road holding achieved.
    Innovative feature of tire is it adapts grip to the temperature conditions in which it is used.

3.7 Carbon-Ceramic Brakes: CC discs by Brembo allow repeated use w/o loss of performance.
    Front: diameter 380 mm x 34 mm thick, 6-piston caliper.
    Rear: diameter 350 mm x 34 mm thick, 4-piston caliper.
    Alum brake casing. 16% weight saving compared to conventional brake discs.
    15% better deceleration over 360.

And, then there is the STRIPE. Oh, yes! The STIPE. Rumored to be good for additional 12 HP.

file: stradaledetailsB.doc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Great summary, I'd love to have one, and if I was into racing I'd get one. BUT, I've also heard;

1) w/o the internal insulation they get considerably hotter than the 360 Modena, requiring a lot of ac time
    2) w/o the internal insulation they are more noisy than the 360 and this can rattle the ears after a few hours of driving
    3) the additional firmness, noise, & heat have prompted some owners to say they wouldn't relish driving more than 4 hours in a CS
    4) some wives complain about the lack of creature comforts and would rather ride in the Honda than alongside their testosterone husbands.

Having said all this, I'm still tempted to trade my 04-360 F1 Modena for a CS.

Cheers, Paul

3. TOC

TOC Karting

Sep 13, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    John T
    WOW!!! I think you showed him!!

4. lrattner

lrattner Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dr. Lonnie Rattner
    ]

The responses to you four statments above:

1) wrong
    2) Wrong
    3) wrong
    4) they married the wrong woman

Not having had one or perhaps never really driving one you are forgiven for listerning to the heretics out there. As the old saying goes " try it, you'll like it".

5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    1) Don't know. It's still winter - even in AZ
    2) wrong
    3) wrong
    4) right. Except no Honda...try Mercedes...and she has started talk about us also getting a Mondial or 456M.

6. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    1) The insulation removed was primarily for sound deadening.
    2) Sure, if I want a quiet drive I hop into the 550, but the CS is NOT like a race car where you are happy to have a earplugs and a helmet.
    3) Possibly they purchased the wrong car. Some people sell their spiders because the wind messes up their hair. I've solved that problem by losing most of my hair.
    4) My wife had no interest in the CS until AFTER she drove it. Now she wants half the seat time when we go on a club drive!

7. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    re: louder than a 360?

Oh, come on now. The CS is a marvelous machine, but there is NO QUESTION it is louder than a 360. You hear the pebbles hitting the underside of the car, for heavens sake. Now if that doesn't matter, fine, but to claim it isn't louder is to put all your (collectively that is, this is not aimed at Challenge, his was just a convenient post to quote) CS vs 360 judgments into question.

As for me it wouldn't matter that much, at least I think not, but I'd have to live with it for a few months to see for sure.

Gary

8. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    wrong as in "rattling my ears". of course theyre louder than a normal 360.

so let me change it to
    2) right & wrong

9. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    1. Right!!!! At least for Thailand... The bare metal inside mean it absorb heat from direct sun light very effectively, and the interior gets cooked quite quickly.
    2. Right!!! I can't drive the thing more than 2 hours at a time.
    3. Right!!! But I will take the punishment... the handling is so good.
    4. Wrong!!! My wife is very happy with the car, as long as I don't drive to fast.

10. istanl

istanl Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian
    But you have to remember a CS wasn't designed to be comfortable, and I guess you have to make some sacrifices if you want the car to be light.
    I reckon the comfort isn't going to be an issue with many of the people buying one, at least if they know what they're getting themselves into (a fire-breathing, blood spitting road-racer :p).

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Its an acquired taste and not for everybody with 200k$ .

12. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I think I read somewhere that the 360 CS lapped faster than a 430 because of the Pirellis on the CS vs. Bridgestones on the 430. Seems a bit unlikely but maybe not impossible... ?

13. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    LAP TIMES PISTA DI FIORANO

Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale 1.28.00
    Ferrari F430 1.28.50
    Ferrari 360 Modena 1.31.50

14. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    1) Rubbish
    2) A B S O L U T E L Y and thank goodness
    3) Wimps, not real MEN!
    4) I always leave the wife home - like that there is no debate

Taste a CS and you'll never want anything else. Seriously!

Know more guys with lots of Ferraris who bought 430s, drove them, sold them and always kept the CS.....

The greatest REAL Ferrari since the F40

15. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I wasn't sure if I would like the CS b/c of my fears of it being too loud, too harsh and my wife not liking it (she didn't like my 348 Spider b/c with the top down she was "hot" and her "hair was blowing & getting messed up"). In fact, I was really looking for an early model 360, not a CS. However, finding the early model like I wanted was a frustrating search. Since I couldn't find an early year 360 that fit my tastes, I decided that instead of buying a newer year 360, it was worth spending a bit more to get the CS.

Although I absolutely adore the 360's, now that I have a CS, I am VERY glad I got it. In fact, if I were to sell my CS, it would only be to buy another CS (at this point, not even an F430 would pry a CS from me). Yes, the car is a bit more harsh than a regular 360, but let's face it, even a regular 360 isn't as plush/comfortable as a Bentley or a living-room couch. However, I am VERY surprised how comfortable the CS is. I drove it all the way to Palm Beach (over 1 hour away) a few weekends ago, and during lunch all I could think about is how much I wanted to get back into the car and drive some more!!!

16. unespekta

unespekta Rookie

Nov 1, 2004
    Cincinnati
    I always thought the 360CS was built for a excuse to get out of the house and leave the wifey at home.

Some bonding time with yourself and the engine!~

17. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    And slap on a NGT for some serious bonding action! Does it get any better?

18. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    1)Seriously now, the heat bothers you when you're driving REEEEALY fast wth the windows open?
    2)Seriously now, the noise in a Ferrari bothers you IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER? You deserve to be in a Honda in that case.
    3)Fours hours in a CS?. Where the heck are you going?
    4)Wife? What are you talking about? That's what SL's were made for.... :)

19. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    This post is just begging for a reply. I agree with EVERYTHING ChalStrad said and more!
    1) Never experienced this.
    2) Noisier? Isn't that part of the allure of Ferrari ownership? A true driver's car? Raw? Noisy? Music to my ears!!
    3) Four hours? Not nearly enough time. I'd drive it until I couldn't drive another mile.
    4) No wife. No drama. No issue! :)

20. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    ditto

I actually found my CS to be more comfortable than my 360 Spider, the pebbles hitting the underside thing is a complete non-issue.

The amazing thing is that it does indeed feel "very raw" but it is no way uncomfortable to drive - it feels like you are driving an illegal race car on the street with none of the problems that usually entails.

21. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    1) Never found that but then again I live in the UK
    2) The main addition in noise from the road is stones. Hardly loud enough to be an issue. As for the engine noise, they still have the exhaust valves to stay relatively quiet under 4000 rpm.
    3) Rubbish. Having had 4 OEM and 2 Sparco seats in my Fcars I can confirm the most comfortable seats are the 360 sports/CS ones. Pile cream usage has actually taken a downturn.
    4) I've never let her in it so can't advise.

22. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    1- I have never had a problem with heat... the CS has an awesome AC... and I live in Texas! The only time I even noticed the AC nearing its limits was in heavy traffic on Hoover Dam after a long run thru the desert... the outside temperature on the dam was 120'... and we were getting in and out to take pictures... I am sure the 360 would not have done much (if any) better.

2- The sound is louder, but so much more musical. The sound sometimes bothered me at highway speeds in my 360 (certain speeds when I was trying to carry on a conversation with passengers). The sound has never been anything but enjoyable in the CS... in fact, I almost always want just a little more volume (I think hi-flow cats are in my future). The only drawback is that the sticky tires throwing rocks against the uninsulated wheel wells can make startling noises... but you quickly get used to it.

3- 4 hours? Hell yes! I drove 8-10 hours a day for 3 days straight several times... no problem! The CS is actually an awesome long-haul cruiser!
    * The seats are super comfortable (I need pillows to adjust for long-trips in all my other cars).
    * The ride is plenty smooth where there are no potholes.
    * The large gas tank and 20mpg on the highway at 100mph results in a great 500mile cruising range... so you never need to stop for gas... just fill-up when you need a bio-break.
    * There is no worry about falling asleep... the driving is too much fun.

4- No such issue with my wife. She complains that I don't take her on enough trips in the Stradale.

23. DiMisa1977

DiMisa1977 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2005

24. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I have Tubi straight pipes & a Tubi NGT. The sound is AMAZING!!! Too loud for some people, but now I think 'regular' F-cars are WAY too quiet!!!

25. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    LOL......