Ducati to make 916 style bike again. | FerrariChat

Ducati to make 916 style bike again.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by chaa, Apr 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    #1 chaa, Apr 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    If that's for real....it's GREAT, de-Terblance'd!

Now if BMW will just de-Bangle their cars!

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Interesting with the displacement hike, perhaps paving the way for the inline four to step in and replace the current litre class bike?

4. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    i wonder if the displacement change affect the World Superbike Duc race teams.

looks very sexy but then again i think older Ducati's are the sexiest bikes ever made

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    TOOOOOOOOO 22222222222222 KEWL !!!

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Any reason to suppose that?!

7. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    This is great news! Can someone say "Bye Bye Jap bikes"?

8. Esquire

Esquire Karting

Mar 3, 2006
    Law library...
    Not really, I'm sure the cost of this bike will be three-fold.

9. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Talking of Jap bikes, me ZZR 1400 is comming soon;)

10. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Hooray - I went for the 998 because I didn't like the 999 styling.

11. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Looks like a montage of parts left over from the 998 and 999 splattered together, but like Ferraris to most, no matter how ugly it is....I LOVE IT! :)

I'm much more interested in the V4 GP rep!
    2 versions....$52,000 and later the $26,000 version

Also Aprilia is coming out with a V4 rep also, after their Motogp V4 is introduced..

12. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Looks like a photoshop "artists rendition" of what it WOULD look like IF they did.

if the article says something different... let us know.

13. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Dexter, MI USA
    Full Name:
    Craig Kenfield
    I don't see Ducati building an inline four any time soon. Why would they?

I agree it looks photochopped. There has been talk of it on another Ducati board and the picture there was slightly different.

14. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    As a mulitiple Ducati owner and huge fan I think it would be great. As for the 1200cc motor, friends and I have discussed this many times. If they offer a bike in 1000cc trim that will homoligate it for racing, why not offer a big bore version for the street. Ferracci has been doing big bore kits for ducati for years, with great success. Hope they build it.

Darrell.

15. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I don't think that they are gonig to get any more power out of that 1200 than they did the 999. Problem is that the rpm will be lower, and the heads don't flow enough to fill the cylinder at that displacement. Unless they did a major redesign of the intake ports, the HP is going to stay about the same, irrespective of the displacement. However, the torque is going to go up at lower displacement, so the performance at lower rpm is going to get better.

I like my 996, which I think is probably quicker than a 999 or 998. Ask Mike about that.

Art

16. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I think they could easily get more power out of that bike. I've seen many big bore ,and stroked ducs ,and they lay down some pretty big numbers. 150 at the wheel is not a big deal these days. Besides, isn't torque what these bikes are all about. It's the way they make the power. not really the amount. Even if hp didn't make a huge jump, the torque would make it an animal.

Darrell.

17. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Ferracci big bore...like 150hp to the wheel! (I need a drool emoticon)

18. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Darrel:

In order to make HP, you have to fill the cylinder with gas and air. The design of the Desmo heads (I have a little experience with them, with two BOTT championships in the 80s) are such that they struggle with filling a 500cc cylinder, and they had to go to very radical cams to make the 998 & 999 make more power. The basic problem is that the intake port makes the air take a very sharp turn just above the valve seat, and those in the know joke that you only get flow over 1/2 the valve.

When we would modify these ports, we'd weld the bottom up, and open up the sides to make a D shaped port with the flat spot on the bottom. Even then, when you do all of that, getting much more than about 150HP out of them is very very difficult, and requires more resources than I've seen. The alternative is a very radical cam with a huge amount of overlap, and very high lift, but that sort of thing makes an unrideable street bike, and a very difficult race bike.

I suspect that the 1200 motor will be a torquer, and frankly, for most riders, that's all they'll ever be able to use anyway, but they'll think they're on a rocketship.

Not to knock the brand, I own two of them (my 1988 racebike, that I won the BOTT on, and the 01 996), but they are what they are.

Art

19. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Art, I'm not saying you don't have a bunch of experiance with Ducatis. It sounds like you certainly do. I do agree, The port design seems to be the largest limit in the the past. I'm just saying, there are plenty of 150hp late model street ducs running around. So people are getting the power out of them. It takes work, but it's dooable. The other thing about going to a 1200cc bike is that they can go to a bigger cumbustion chamber, valves and ports. There is nothing saying they have to run the same heads. Those that have seen the factory corsa race bikes say the head design is very different from the customer race bikes of late. They have done a great job of improving the 2 valve head of the 1000 motor also. Hell that one makes as much power as my 93 888 did stock. BTW which bike did you run in bott. Love to see pics.

Darrell.

20. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

...So is the new Hayabusa !!!!! LOL

Cheers

21. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Darrell:

You are absolutely right there are plenty of 150HP street Ducatis. However, that HP is done on a dynojet, and I hate to tell you this, but the numbers aren't real. Dynojet numbers are consistently about 15% higher than the true value. I know they are industry standard, but they are too high. If people claim they've got 150HP on a dynojet, what they've got is about 130HP (which is what I've got).

Art

22. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    But wasnt Ducati supposed to release a V4 bike with close to 200hp, or were they just rumors?

It seems as if Ducatis being slower than their japanese counterparts is more of a deal than Fcars being slower than some of the cheaper competition.

23. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    for some reason i was thinking there was like a displacement size limit since their competitors were all generally around ~1000cc

24. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    OK Art, I guess dyno jet numbers are not " real " numbers. Thanks.

25. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    egads.

"When you absolutely, positively have to kill yourself within 2.6 seconds!"

:)

i think i'm just a *****. i can't imagine needing more than 750ccs or thereabouts.

doody.