YAHOOO!......SKYLINE to be badged as Nissan! | FerrariChat

YAHOOO!......SKYLINE to be badged as Nissan!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bmwm3, Apr 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bmwm3

bmwm3 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Laguna Hills, OC!
    The new 2008 Skyline was announced today to be badged as a Nissan.

I guess thats why Infiniti couldn't give me a allocation spot on the car.
    For any of those who I have spoken to on this forum who said they have dropped their deposits at Infiniti......GET IT BACK!

2. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    whats it change if it were badged a Infinity....just out of curiosoty since im not really firmiliar with Skylines......

3. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Isn't the G35 coupe supposed to be the "US" version of the skyline? I guess the perk is that it will be 3 inches wider and slightly shorter. I wonder what the HP will be with the twin turbo 6 cylinder motor.

4. bmwm3

bmwm3 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Laguna Hills, OC!
    Skyline has always been badged as NISSAN

nothing has really changed
    but many fans of the SKYLINE were upset that it wasn't staying true to Nissan

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That will turn out to be a bad move for the USA market IMHO...It will be difficult to get buyers to pay $80k+ for a Nissan which a lot of Americans still think of as Datsun. The very reason Acura, Lexas and Infiniti exist is because Americans would not pay $20k+ for Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans back in the 80s. Nissan should change its desicion and sell Skylines as Infinitis in the USA market...like Honda did with selling the NSX as an Acura in the USA and as a Honda in the rest of the world...

6. storminnormin

storminnormin Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    i believe bmwm3 meant Skyline GTR, a very high performance cult car in Japan. The previous version was not imported officially into the US, but a few gray market outfits brought them in. The Skyline GTR is not to be confused with the Skyline, which in the US is badged as the Infiniti G35.

7. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    that's interesting news, never knew that! only time i've ever heard of Infiniti is from gran turismo back in '98, had no idea it's what yanks call nissan.

edit: just googled infiniti g35, that looks nothing like the aussie skyline (816 for sale here), looks more like a maxima or something.

8. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Yeah, I'm aware of what the Skyline is...Seen one...I'd love to buy one(current skyline R32/33), but it's no fun when you can only look at it in the garage or only take it on the track.....This "new" one looks different, didn't they say that sticker should be around 70-90?

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I believe they were referring to the Infiniti G35 coupe as the Nissan Skyline for the USA...www.infiniti.com

10. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Cool... spend $50+k on a car only to get crappy service from the Nissan dealer. But I guess it's alright if Chevy has been doing it w/ the Corvette for decades now.

///Michael

11. RunningOfTheRings

Jan 5, 2006
    Chicago
    the 2008 GT-R is NOT a "Skyline"..

The Skyline/G35 is the same model... the GT-R will be a completely new model built off a completely new chassis, and have nothing to do with the next generation Japanese "Skyline"/G35

12. jet190rs

jet190rs Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rich C.
    In Japan there's a whole range of Skyline models, from very mild sedans to very wild coupes.

The Nissan Skyline sedan in Japan is basically the same as the Infiniti G35 sedan in America.

The base Nissan Skyline coupe in Japan is probably the same as the Infiniti G35 coupe in America.

The Nissan Skyline GT-R in Japan is the supercar that we're talking about, the one that will finally come to America.

13. jet190rs

jet190rs Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rich C.
    I'm not so sure....

It seems everyone who owns an NSX in America replaces the Acura badge with a Honda badge. People seem to be really into a cars' true history. Some have even replaced the Infiniti badges on their G35s with Japanese Skyline Sedan badges.

Your argument may still hold for luxury sedans where its all about image, but the Skyline is a very hardcore sports car that will target enthusiasts who know what the deal is. I think the Skyline GT-R name is so well known by car enthusiasts that it won't matter which badge they put on it.

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've only seen one NSX with a Honda badge at an NSX Club meeting at Road Atlanta a few years ago. All others I've seen had the Acura badging. In fact, most of the time in the status driven USA it works the other way; like Dino owners putting Ferrari badges on their 308GT4s. As far as a GT-R being well known to car enthusiasts, I think you're correct. However, that is a small number of car buyers all of whom will not being buying a new GT-R. If Nissan plans to sell them at a similar volume as the 350ZX, at $75k+ it ain't going happen badged as a Nissan IMHO...we'll all see I suppose...

15. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A Z06 is a hardcore sports car as well as the 911 GT-3, 360 Challenge Stradale, and Lotus Elise. Unless the GT-R has the same power/weight ratio as any of those cars and weighs less than 3100lbs, I wouldn't count on it being a hardcore sports car. My guess is that it'll be arriving with 450hp and weighing in at 3600lbs. And I'll be sorely disappointed if I'm right.

$50+k for a Nissan? Yeah, they tried that high-priced method once w/ the 300ZX TT in an attempt to dethrone the Corvette. That only got us a Z hiatus and look at how much more heritage the Z has in the U.S. over the GT-R.

///Michael