F-Spider vs. G-Spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F-Spider vs. G-Spider

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Noel, Apr 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 69stanger

69stanger Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    he sold his 355 to get a SL55, which he then promptly sold to get a Ford GT (twice).

ahhhhh to be rich.................

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

Judgeing by the absence of any Ferrari's at Ferrari Club track days and the over abundance of Ferrari's at PPE events (Posing, Parking and Eating)....that combined with Lambos at the track and on spirited drives, leads me to believe that most Ferrari's are purchased to show off at Starbucks and entertain the valets....as apposed to actually 'drive'.

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I have done a number of track days at Infineon, T-hill, Laguna, and Buttonwillow, and I occasionally see some Ferraris, and have NEVER seen a Lambo.

Gary

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Gary

What I said is observations from reality. I am an FCA track events coordinator for our region and it is humiliating when 2 Ferraris show for a track event and 30 show for a Sunday afternoon tea party...or in fact anything that involves eating, parking and not driving. My Lambo friends are always up for a spirited drive on the road or track. There is no offense meant to anyone who 'drives' these cars as they were meant to.......this is just what I have seen.

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    An unfortunate reality of Ferrari ownership, that seems to be the same the world over. Put into perspective though, although all Porsche club days seem to be fully subscribed, is the percentage of Porsche owners tracking their cars actually higher?

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Must be geographic differences. Here in the Bay Area, "spirited" back road Ferrari drives are common, and like I say, I'm still waiting to see my first Lambo at a track event.

Gary

7. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    I can tell you from personal experience that this is true in Singapore as well. Nearly every single F-car I've seen has been puttering along slower than a Kia. Nearly every Lambo is driven ...let's say "spiritedly".

Same thing on track days - maybe one out of 10 Ferrari owners bring their cars to the track, but practically all the Lambo boys show up to play.

Gotta love Lambo drivers, they drive their cars the way God intended. :D

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #33 Napolis, Apr 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Who cares? Track Days/Afternoon tea's. The only reason to own any of these cars is to pass the limited time we all have in a way that brings us pleasure NOT how other's think we should. I use my cars one way. Other's use their's another the idea that one is better than another or that a G is "Better" than a 430 or that a 430 is "better" than a G is absurd. Better to whom? Better for what?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Suspect most street cars, regardless of brand, rarely see a race track. That said, bet the percentage of race cars that see any street duty is even less. Cool, Napolis.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Most Ferrari guys are chicken **** when it comes to driving their cars on the track. Porsche guys go all out..some Porsche guys spend more time at the track then they do at work!!

Most ferrari owners are indeed posers, who just like to be seen in a fancy car. Many Lambo owners are the same, but they have more of a big kid type of attitude going on. They like to kick the crap out of their cars and laugh about it in the end. The show off factor is much higher with the lambo guys, but when they show off, they are behined the wheel DRIVING their cars. Not parked and leaned on infornt of Starbucks or the "club".

F430..awsome car..way over and above the 360 in all respects. The G-spyder..kinda odd looking in my eyes..but a great performer. To each his own.

11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

The Bay Area has some great events.....I have done the Virginia City Hillclimb with the Pacific Region as well as the FOC on many occasions....and had a blast both getting there as well as the event itself.

I think Ferrari's marketing and image building has created a huge demand for their cars...not saying that they aren't great cars, dynamically...because they are....but they just don't get used as they were intended....which is a shame. It's like dating a supermodel and not sleeping with her....it just doesn't make sense to me. The 'G' is a brilliant car from looks and dynamics and the fact that they are more rare is definitely a plus for me.

For more on my theory on why Fcars aren't driven, check out my letter in issue 91 in the Brit mag EVO......

12. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

um...g-spyder vs. f-spider?

13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Well, Lambo was founded to compare to Ferrari. Ferrari is what everyone else uses as a mark.

14. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Back to the original thread topic here, now that the Gspyder is actually arriving, they cannot be had anywhere near MSRP and it will be anyones guess as to how long the wait will be before you will be able to walk into a dealer and pick one up. Seems like many of the "second tier" ferrari wait listers may have jumped ship and filled the GSpyder orders.

15. Skyler360Spider

Skyler360Spider Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2005
    The OC, USA
    Directly from Roy Cats..The best Lambo dealer...G Spyder now 50K over MSRP and in some places higher. For that price I'll take the F430 Spider, as the price factor is now taken out of the equation. However G Spyder at MSRP and F car at 75K over MSRP...G Spyder would be a great choice.

16. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Maybe slightly off topic, but I have a 79 308 GTB that I waited my whole life to barely be able to afford. I recently had an experience in front of a pizza joint on a happening college main street in warm weather. Pulled into parking space behind new bright yellow Lamborghini Gallardo with 21 year old owner and very cute girl friend. Dozens of college students gawking and drewling over both cars.After we talked a while (very nice kid) he took off after revving engine to redline for probably 10 seconds for the crowd. He had also told me he had car for two weeks and couldn't believe it but he had just taken through the car wash and they had flooded the whole engine. This is not to in any way say anything about the Lambo owner. I, by the way LOVED the car. But his ownership of the Lambo was drastically different then my ownership of the Ferrari. For each person it is a very personal experience. If I won the lottery or something I would definately buy a couple of different Lambos (CountachLP400-original no flares and Murcie 640) but only after I had about 10 Ferrari's. Just my own feelings.
    By the way I don't track my car because to do it right it becomes very expensive. Tires, brakes, damage, etc. But I do drive it regularly the way it was intended with great vigor and emotion. Call me a liar but I have driven it for an 18 hour stint only stopping for gas and dinner and a bucket full of coffee. To all those that give others crap about not tracking their cars I can only say none of the cars we are talking about were meant to be track cars.They were ment for the road and since the time ofthe 250 GTO and LM most Ferrari's were converted to competition well after their appearance. I have raced off-road motorcycles my whole life and still have much more fun taking a great ride in the woods with a bunch of my friends. No pressure. Driving or riding doesn't matter, you can still push the envelope a bit safely and semi-legally on a great sunday afternoon. Have been on many tracks in great cars and the problem is that you can't really race in most situations at a track. You can damage someone else's expensive machine. Doesn't go over very well. From my motorcycle experience tracks are about head to head competition. Diving under someone in a turn. Hitting the apex perfect and driving out with much more exit speed. etc.

By the way. Every day when I get into one of the cheapest Ferrari'syou can buy. (about the same as Subaru WRX STI) it makes smile like a teenager after his first really big date (you catch my drift). It was worth the 30 year waite and personally I don't care whether I'm going to a great car meet or the 7-11 I couldn't be any happier.

17. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    04 Gallardos were priced in the 160s'. This was before the price increase on the cars.

G Spyders are not readily available unless you want to pay a nice premium, such as the guy who paid 60k over from BH Lambo.

18. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    Maybe you should check Ebay, or Dupont online and really see how many 360's or Fcars for that matter are for sale.

19. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    In Az i asked the AZ Ferrari club to organise a trackday, and they looked at me like I was crazy.

20. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    What an astute observation on their part! :p :D

21. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #46 Mark(study), Apr 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    Its not even close.

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Nice article on the G Spyder in Sports Car by Winston Goodfellow. He liked the car very much and commented that the fit and finish and interior were really nice.

He suggested the 6 speed instead of the egear.

24. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Agreed. My local dealer carries both marques. Any performance specs aside, I simply cannot get past the looks of the G-car. The entire styling of the car does absolutely nothing for me.

Never heard/read that one before...great quote.

25. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    That G Spider in black looks fantastic! The 430 looks great too, but mostly a rehashing of the 360.

I have driven a hardtop G and 360 (not a 430 though), and they are very comparable in performance, so I imagine the spiders are too. That said, I think I'll try a G for my next exotic, if nothing else, just not to deal with the headache of Ferrari reliability and maintenance...