Tubi on F355 | FerrariChat

Tubi on F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by nishttdawg, Mar 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nishttdawg

nishttdawg Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Toronto, Ontario
    #1 nishttdawg, Mar 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Guys, just a quick question here. I recently bought a tubi for my car, but then I noticed that it doesn't have the "355" flaps on the side of it. Are there 2 different tubi's made for this car? Or is it dependant upon the yr (Mine is a 1995). The one I bought looks like the picture on the right with the metal bar across the top.

Thanks in advance!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    The one on the right looks like it was patterened after the factory "challenge" muffler.

Put it on, your going to love it.

3. nishttdawg

nishttdawg Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Toronto, Ontario
    any other ideas guys? Will this exhaust just bolt up? Is it a do it yourself at home job or should I have it installed at a pro shop? I have all the basic tools at home and know that the rear bumper has to come off.

4. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, there are two Tubi made for the car. My friend and I had two different Tubi on the 355, too. I had the older one...but don't remember which one.

5. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    You can do it yourself. Get a parts manual to get an idea of what is involved and exploded diagrams of the car.

ken

6. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    I am sure you can do it yourself and I beleive someone posted a how-to for the 348 and it is basically the same for the 355.

7. leang86

leang86 F1 Rookie

Jun 12, 2005
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Leang

Yup, the one on the right is a challenge muffler by tubi. I have tried both and personally prefer the challenge muffler over the standard.

Put in on and let us know how you feel about it.

8. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It's a fairly easy install. As long as you have the right tools for the job and some idea of how to work on your car it'll be a do it at home job. If you don't feel comfortable doing it though most dealers won't charge much to do it.

9. nishttdawg

nishttdawg Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Toronto, Ontario
    Hey guys thanks for all the advice! Got through the install yesterday with the help of my brother. Took about 6 hours or so, taking my time being careful. There are some difficult bolts to get at though. All in all, a fun job!

10. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Glad to hear you got it on! How do you like it so far?

11. nishttdawg

nishttdawg Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Toronto, Ontario
    Sounds much better at idle...louder, fuller. At speed (from inside the car at least) it doesn't sounds much different from the stock exhaust with the bypass valve open. I guess I have to drive through a tunnel now to find out if there is a real difference ;)

12. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Congrats on the successful instal! You will love the sound, the power increase if any is just an added bonus.

13. nishttdawg

nishttdawg Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Toronto, Ontario
    Just wanted to make a quick note here. I drove the car around quite a bit and I wasn't all that impressed with the Tubi. I have driven many types of cars out there, and looked at all the videos of 355's on the internet etc. and the sound from inside the car was almost identical to stock...until last night. I wired open the bypass valve and WHOA what a difference. I am not exaggerating here guys, I am not one to hype things up. But this simple mod changed the sound
    COMPLETELY, its as close to an F1 car I've ever heard. For any of you guys with the tubi on your F355, please do yourself a favour and wire open that bypass valve, and best of all, its free!

14. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    just a suggestion, but it sounds like the valve might not have been working before as it should have. If your car is a 1995, then probably the vacuum cannister in the rear right side is leaking. If the bypass valve was working properly you would notice the difference in exhaust tone when it opens up. Just a thought...

15. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
    Also, you might experience "Slow Down Light" flashing if you have OBD2, 96+. I have read 95' seems to escape the light issue. However, I had to unwire it due to the light situation.

16. leang86

leang86 F1 Rookie

Jun 12, 2005
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Leang

How does the car sound after you install the exhaust?
    Do you have cats in place or testpipes?

As my 355 ECU has been remapped, the sound of the car is silghtly different from the standard 355.

post a soundclip for us to hear!

17. F355maniac

F355maniac Rookie

Apr 3, 2006
    UK
    Hi, i'm new and was just wondering, you say there's a power increase thanks to the mod, could someone tell me how much this is? does it vary between the different aftermarket companies?

18. leang86

leang86 F1 Rookie

Jun 12, 2005
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Leang
    Are you refering to exhaust or ecu remapping?

19. F355maniac

F355maniac Rookie

Apr 3, 2006
    UK
    preferably both please

20. leang86

leang86 F1 Rookie

Jun 12, 2005
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Leang

The ECU remapping on the 355 adds 20hp to the car which makes 400hp +/-
    depending on the octane of the fuel you use.

The car is much smoother and has more punch over the rev range. It allows you to pull in each gear longer.

I suppose there is a diff in the performance of the car depending on the company you use, but i'm not sure how different.

As for exhaust, there is no info on the increase of hp.

21. twoferraristom

Apr 2, 2004
    Who remapped your computors? What changes were made? How much$$?
    Thanks

22. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm assuming Powerchip most other ECU tuners won't touch a 355 computer, but I would also like to know from the owner direct.

23. leang86

leang86 F1 Rookie

Jun 12, 2005
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Leang
    The company is DMS Automotive.

As for what was changed in detail, i'm not sure. But it certainly made my car feel more powerful, stronger and smoother throughout the rev range.