250 PF Coupe ... | Page 20 | FerrariChat

250 PF Coupe ...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by djaffrey, Dec 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clair

clair Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Mr Shaughnessy - Why should you have first call on a rear axle, as Mr. Vardanian was merely saying that the would-be purchaser of this vehicle should be able to find one relatively easily. Do you want to be able to be first in line in order to sell the requisite part on at a profit?

Clair

2. clair

clair Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    I've had another thought - forget everybody else and call me first with a rear axle, as I want to buy it and sell it because no-one else has one.
    I want to join the Ferrari parts profit spinning conglomerate.

Clair

3. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Clair you are missing Tom's point.

His business is finding, buying and reselling at a profit; old Ferrari parts.

If he says he does not have a rear axle or know anyone who has one, it means they are RARE and it will NOT be easy to locate one.

It was Tom's polite way of pointing out the John V is wrong :)

4. clair

clair Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Erich,

Thanks for your reply. Which part of Mr Shaughnessy's reply was polite? I must have missed it, as his message smacked of sarcam to me.

I did not miss the point at all - however, as parts are that rare I will buy it first, and promise not to re-sell it at more than 10% profit. This way, everybody wins and Mr Shaughnessy can buy it from me if he likes.

Must we be subservient to Mr Shaughnessy's demands to be first in line for vintage parts?

Clair

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Lighten up a little bit Clair.

6. lesliewales

lesliewales Karting

Jan 8, 2006
    For what it's worth, I completely concur with Clair's point of view on this topic.

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Kidding aside, I think the axle would be a last worry. A wrong axle probably isn't as much a stigma as a wrong engine. Heck, there are 250 TR's out there racing with Detroit axles.

john

8. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    For what it's worth, I completely concur with Leslie Wales's point of view on this topic

9. lesliewales

lesliewales Karting

Jan 8, 2006
    Thank you Tom.
    I am sure that I am reading the intent in your reply correctly, and that it is not yet another thinly veiled attempt at sarcasm, is it?
    Glad to see that you have joined the human race and are possibly not a bad fellow after all. Despite what most people say about you, I like you Tom - after all we have each been involved with Ferraris for nearly 40 years apiece and share an undying love for the marque.
    Peace.

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Didn't somebody mention in another thread that the axle from a 1947 Ford truck would fit some of the early Ferraris? Totally unoriginal, and a definite stigma to a car's originality, unless of course the swap was performed by Lord Snobbo in 1963 prior to a LeMans race, and then it becomes a valuable asset to the Grey Poupon crowd and their never ending double standards.

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I have a feeling that a really good thread about one of my favorite Ferraris is about to go to the trolls.

Arlie,

I'm pretty sure you are correct about easily fitting Ford diffs (not sure about the '47 truck part). I also think Jag diffs will work with minor mods. Original is better but if original is dead or gone then Ford makes an OK placeholder (beats having the whole car rot in the garage).

Clair,

I'm not sure if you are being a troll or if you have other issues, but this tread has been a very pleasant, friendly and informative one until your pot shots at Tom. The reason Tom and others like him break up PF Coupes and other similar cars is because the parts are rare and the needs for these parts make them more valuable than the cars themselves. None of us are particularly thrilled with the breaking up of wonderful cars, but when an owner needs to replace a broken bit, it's nice to have guys like Tom there to supply the otherwise irreplaceable bit in order to keep the car going.

Tom spends considerable time, money and financial risk getting these parts. If you can really provide these parts, this would be a wonderful thing, but if you are making off the cuff statements please stop.

Sincerely,

Art S.

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

What he said.

13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    That was me somewhere much earlier in this fantastic thread. My information was from Dick Merritt about 7 years ago when I asked his advice about PF Coupes.

14. clair

clair Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Art S,

I am not sure what you are inferring by calling me a troll, but I don't think I like it. Perhaps my "other issues" are simply a difference of opinion to yours about people who profit comfortably from the sale of car parts. I am merely noting and observing that Mr Shaughnessy makes frequent and unsolicited requests for first notification of the location of cars and parts, and I am simply asking the questions about why he should get first refusal instead of anyone else.

I guess that I am not entitled to have an opinion that differs from yours, or at least should not bother to open a discussion that you object to. I thought this website was Ferrari "chat," not Ferrari "agree wholeheartedly with Art S. or get slapped down." Perhaps you misunderstood the intent of my postings in your zeal to defend your buddy Tom.

I am entitled to my opinion, and I am certainly not taking "pot shots" at Mr Shaughnessy. You are obviously very defensive on his behalf for some unknown reason. Perhaps you ought to address your own issues prior to accusing me of being a "troll." I am not trying to be unfriendly or unpleasant, but I will become defensive if you make further disparaging remarks about me, or openly disrespect my point of view on this subject.

Clair

15. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    n some other thread, I also had mentioned that there used to be a machine shop off the the Santa Ana Freeway that could chuck up an entire F-rear-end in a huge lathe, cut out the center section, weld in the Ford unit, and send you on your way with very little expense. I am guilty of destroying a few otherwise original cars that way. Who knew??

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Clair,

A very quick definition of a troll, as reffered to internet chat, is someone who tries to stir up trouble for trouble's sake.

If you wish to start a discussion on the merrits of Ferrari used parts sales people please do so; just start a thread for that purpose and don't do it in the PF Coupe thread.

Art S.

PS. So that I do not further mess up this thread, I will not discuss this any further here. If you wish to PM me, you may do so.

17. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I absolutely second that.
    Clair W. should rather start his own thread. THIS is the 250 GT PF Coupé thread.
    Marcel Massini

18. lesliewales

lesliewales Karting

Jan 8, 2006
    Behind the driver & passenger seat of my 1959 250 PF Coupe, going into the floor, are 2 staple - looking anchors. I should imagine that they were for seat belts or luggage. Does anyone have any idea as to their original function? I don't ever remember the car having seat belts, and I have owned it for 25 years.
    Looking forward to any input.
    Les

19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

There were in fact straps in the back area for luggage. I have seen a few cars with them still intact. Even more interesting is the passenger side head rest. How rare are these?

20. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    #495 greg512tr, May 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a picture of my passenger headrest (#1977). The headrest must not be very common as the other 250 PF coupe at Cavallino (#0943) had the brackets in the seat but not headrest prior to its restoration. They fabricated a headrest during the restoration but had to guess on dimensions based on period pictures as they could not find an actual headrest. The one they made was close but not exact so I sent them my original last month and they made a new one for their car. They were thrilled to see an original one as they had searched a while to find one with no luck.

In short, if you want one made for your car let me know and I will get you the contact info to see if they could do one for your car as well.

Greg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. dim

dim Karting

Nov 5, 2003
  22. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
  23. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    The chrome strip on the hood of the silver one looks unusual. Has anyone seen this on other PFs?

24. Tony Miller

Tony Miller Rookie

Jan 27, 2006
    I've never seen it on a PF. Makes it look like a GTE from the front, doesn't it?

25. dim

dim Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    ... and early GTE-style foglights. Some kind of customization maybe.
    P.S. s/n 1129 GT has a strip.