Long trip in your 308/328? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Long trip in your 308/328?

Discussion in '308/328' started by sers, May 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Theo

Theo Formula Junior

May 6, 2002
    Westford, MA
    Full Name:
    Theo Pappas
    Drove my 328 from MA to Montreal for the Grand Prix and back with no problems. It even rained halfway going up and had no leakage from the roof. coming back on a sunny, warm Sunday was 4 hours of bliss! One of the best parts was accelerating out from the toll booths!

I plan on doing this again this year. However, I need to find another Ferrari by then (sold my 328 a few years back.)

Theo

2. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
  3. jraken

jraken Karting

Dec 10, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jan
    ...have driven my 308 a couple times back and forth between L.A. and San Francisco. It's a 5 hour drive (if you take the nice route along the coast instead of N5 ). It seems the longer the drive the better the engine runs...

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Portland Oregon to Houston Texas in four days, there would have been a thread but without pics, no point.....2,700 miles. It's big place, "out west"!

Yea, the desert was a little hot and dusty, made nibbling on Valeria like eating potatoe chips!

Fchatters along the way had volunteered support, but the car ran really well, due to Ed Hodel's good maintenance.....do it again? Sure!

I'll give Valeria credit, she packed really light, one bag!

We should have taken 2 weeks, or more to see it all.......

5. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    2000 miles round France in my '74 GT4 last summer - driven hard chasing Caterham 7's on a track day tour! Never missed a beat and was running better when it came back...which is more than can be said for my 7.

6. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    I purchased my 79 308 coupe in December in Houston Texas. My 12 year old son and I drove 2000 miles(actually I drove, he just smiled) to Maryland. Had to divert a few hundred miles due to massive ice storm coming south towards Atlanta. The second day we drove 18 straight hours stopping only for gas every 2-3 hrs or so and coffee, plus 30 minutes for dinner. When we pulled into our garage in MD. I would have turned around and done it all over again no problem. It is not unusual for us to drive 4-6 hours every weekend.-Bob

7. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    hey bob, where are you in MD? I'm in chevy chase. i need some local encouragement.

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I plan to drive my 84 GTS QV from CA. to NY maybe in the next year or two I feel very confident in the 308's I think this is what F cars are design to do for their edurances, long distance, and high speed.

9. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    Here I am just days away from making my first purchase on a 328 and I get on this thread to find out that most of you guys feel fortunate to be able to take a 3-500 mile ride in your car without some major mechanical problem occuring. Come on, it can't be this bad...or is it?

10. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65329&highlight=trans+canada 20000km cross country trip from coast to coast and back in Canada. In one month. Just awesome!

My wife and I have done Toronto<->Montreal 3 times with no issues (5+ hours one way depending on traffic and how many times you stop for breaks). A bit noisy sometimes and never pleasant in stop-go traffic but the majority is great fun.

Gerrit

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've driven my old 308 between Pittaburgh PA and Atlanta several times each year... its about 840 miles each way... been thru it all and never had a problem while en route.... been thru driving rain storm in NC & WVA... freezing rain in PA... hit a frozen deer carcas on the last trip... so smelled broiled venison from Statesville NC to Greenville SC.... so I think they are made to drive on long trips... but you do have to plan a bit more than with your daily driver.... luggage can be a problem... but you can take plenty for 4-5 days as long as you dont need your stuff pressed when you get there... I've never had a problem parking the car overnight, ... most folks are eager to see the car when you pull up for gas.... speaking of which I think it might be a bit more expensive with gas at $3.00 gal... between PA & GA its about 5 stops for gas... you get about 3 hours on 3/4 tank at 80mph...

Go for the long trip.... couple of years ago Alan Wilson took his boxer from Mcrae GA drove all the way to Maine and back... he and his wife... I remember lots of laudermats!!!....

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

I interpreted the original question as 'is the car comfortable', not 'will it get there'. I average 10,000 miles/yr on my 328, it's very reliable

13. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Just had my '82 GTSi on two lengthy road trips. Three weekends ago from Cincinnati to Detroit, MI and this past weekend from Cincinnati to Joliet, IL to the Autobahn Country Club then from there to Chicago for the night. Didn't miss a beat either trip and the girl didn't complain either! ;)

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

14. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Perhaps it's just me getting old and cranky...or my breakdown paranoia, but any drive that's that's longer than two hours (and more than an hour from home), I just will not do in my 308.

15. sers

sers Rookie

Feb 23, 2004
    Ottawa
    Hey Brunello,

My original question was with respect to the reliability of the cars and not so much the comfort. One must remember that some of these cars are almost 25-30 years old, so doing a long trip can potential be a risky endeavour. However, judging by these posts, it seems that if the car is well maintained (I'm assuming that most of the F-chatters posting here maintain their cars well), a long distance trip shouldn't be a problem.

That's great to hear!!

16. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I drove my car, old hoses and all, from Dallas, TX to Charleston SC in two days (Superbowl Weekend). Got home two hours before kickoff. The drive was perfect - very cool, little traffic, 1,200 miles of highway cruising. No issues at all (apart from a leaking coolant hose caused by a loose clamp). I'm somewhat 'Italian-sized', so the car is perfect for me to drive 10 miles or 1,000 miles without much fatigue at all. Its more comfortable to drive over long distances than my Ford truck, that's for sure....

17. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Our club does at least one or two long (usually three days or more) weekend trips every year. I've managed to make a couple and had a great time. One was to Eastern Washington wine country with temps on the first day's drive reaching over 100. None of the cars had problems (although without properly working AC in my car I was toast by the end of that day!!). I think my total round trip for that drive in three days was about 900 miles. Great fun!

18. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    depending upon how well you fit in the car, can be ok or
    not ok...in my case, more than a couple hours leaves me
    really beaten up, ears blown out, etc.

nice on the shorter drives, though...

19. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    North East Md. As far as you can go up 95 before running into Delaware. Give me a yell. Bob

20. Scuderia NoVA

Scuderia NoVA Formula Junior
    Owner

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I'll be driving mine up to the USGP @ Indy this summer - a trip of about 1500 miles. I was there last year and while walking around the FCA corral, I told my buddy my goal was that in 2 years' time, I would to drive back to Indy and park my own F-car at the corral. Well I got my 1st F-car just this past Christmas. Needless to say, I'm a year ahead of schedule!

The car's maintenance is up-to-date so theoretically everything should be good to go. I know I'M ready.

I'll be sure to bring my AAA card, a rabbit's foot, and I'll say a prayer to St. Enzo before I hit the road - just in case!

Anybody else driving their F-car to Indy from No. VA / Wash. DC area?

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That was my interpretation as well. I'd guess you could pick up a Lotus Elise in Florida and drive it to Alaska if you wanted, with no mechanical issues - but the fun/comfort factor would be higher in something like a 911 or 550 (effective a/c, cruise control, respectable audio system, noise insulation, etc.)

It's probably true for most people here that their 308/328 is more carefully maintained than the generic 7-year old daily driver car, and that many critical bits are much newer than 20-25 years old. If I had to drive my 328 cross country, I'm sure the car would be fine.

22. Adeotec

Adeotec Karting

May 11, 2004
    Philadelphia PA
    I've taken my 328 on many 4-7 hour drives. The car always ran great. Mostly they were in large loops around AZ, or some over night-ers. I was never more than 3 hours from home though.

23. Tifoso

Tifoso Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2005
    Concord, NH
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Longest trip ever in the 328 was 9 hours, during which I encountered just about everything including highway, construction, rain, lots of traffic, and getting lost in lovely Bridgeport, CT trying to avoid said traffic. The day before I had done a 5 hour trip without problems. Car ran perfectly. I would do it all again (except for wandering through the worst parts of Bridgeport at night in a Ferrari - yipes!).

24. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Dude,

Have a look in the Euro section for the Scotland thread last year (2,000 miles in a week round the Scottish highlands), 1 328 (mine) 2 testa's, amd 5 other F's - no problems whatsoever.

Then look under the Switzerland rallye from 2004 - 5 328's (including mine), doing 1,500-2,000 miles (3k+ kms) in 4 days through Europe and round the Swiss Alps - no problems, and amazing pics of all of them with the alps in the background.

Then look at Tuscany trip planned for this August - I think 4 328's (including mine) looking at way over £2k miles in a week of amazing scenery, roads and company.

Drive it - it can cope - it was designed for it and will appreciate it. Don't be a ***** - have fun!!!

Switzerland 2004:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28705&page=30&highlight=scotland

Scotland 2005:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69810&highlight=scotland

Tuscany 2006:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82752&page=16

25. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    The **** was not even a rude word!!! I meant baby cat - honest, mods!