Drive the US... | FerrariChat

Drive the US...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by gougoul, May 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    As there is no general topic on USA, i post it here....

My wife and myself wish to travel to the states and visit it by car.
    We would start probably from NYC and end up in LA or SF (could be done the other way around).
    Any hints on an itinary, knowing that we would prefer to make stopovers in decadent hotels, but we'd still wish to get the "real" picture ?
    Are there places/areas to avoid ?
    For the car, i wonder if i should rent something typically american like a viper or so, are take my car by boat there.
    Any knowledge on that ?

Thanks all in advance, Pierre.

2. Moondog

Moondog Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    North Carolina
    gougoul,

Sound like fun!

I can take the time to help you out with this adventure. My wife and I traveled by car (actually a small pick-up truck) and brought my motorcycle with us to zip around metropolitan areas with ease.

Have you been here in the states before? The drive from NY to LA is almost 3000 miles. It is quite a long way! We were gone for 29 days and and visited a very small portion of the country.

How long do you plan on staying here in the states, and where do you intend to arrive? Also, what time of the year do you want to travel? Based on that information, I can help you better plan an enjoyable visit.

I would reccomend that you decide what region of the USA you would like to visit(Ie.. New England in the north east, California, etc. in thw west, The Rocky mountians, Florida in the south east....) that way perhaps you could spend some better time in a region and, then jump on a plane to another if you had time to do so.

Good luck, and welcome to the USA!

3. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Hi,

frist many thanks !

We came several times to the US, but never visited the so-called fly-over states...
    It would probably be in july/aug, timeframe would be 2-3 weeks, thanks for your support.

4. shifty308

shifty308 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    coulterville ca
    Full Name:
    steven schiffler
    theres a reason they are called flyover states! all kidding aside, if you make it to no. cal do not miss the oppertunity to drive hwy. 49. start in mariposa and go no. to placerville. awesome twisties beautiful scenery. also if you get that close to yosemite go there, as it is absolutely stunning.

5. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox
    My recommendation is to start in LA/SF and end up in NYC. You will be tired and trip back home will be a short 5-6 hrs flight instead of 10 hrs.

Here is a trip my friend told me about and it was just amazing.

LA -> Vegas -> Take 95N -> 168W (lonliest hwy in USA) over the white mtns and see the bristle cone pine forest -> Mammoth/ Mono lake (can even swing by Yosemite via Tioga pass 120W)->395N to Tahoe -> 80E to SLC -> head down to 70E -> stop by Moab/Arches -> Vail -> Summit county -> Boulder (stop by to see Buffalo Bill's grave and Rocky mtn national park)

You will need 2 weeks to do this.

After Boulder, I'd suggest you fly to Chicago ->NYC.

Enjoy your trip!

6. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I agree the central states are a bit dull but it can all be done in 3 days so if you want to move and (without getting a lot of attention from the police) it is possible.
    Boulder, CO is good but there's a lot of interesting stuff down south of there like Santa Fe New Mexico. West Texas is very dull but its probably very different from most of Europe. Austin Texas is nice and interesting, not like the rest of the state. Oklahoma is good too, seemed like it was more tied to the Native Americans than most places. Don't know about Kansas. Anyways have a good time, its very easy to find your way around and everything is convenient.
    As for places to stay and things to see along the way I can't help too much. Even though I've driven across the country a few times by myself I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't stop too many places. :D

7. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    For this trip you need a Corvette. Follow the Smokey Mountains on the east coast. If you're serious let me know and I'll get you more details.

It is unlikely you can find a good car to rent, highly likely that you can just buy and resale a Corvette. If you buy it on the east coast and sell it on the west you may actually make money.

8. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    A corvette...mmmmh why not....

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Where would you rent a Covette in California and return it in NY?

And if you could at $400+ a day, plus $.50 per mile, it's gonna be an expensive drive, maybe $7K+.

Wouldn't it be better to puddle jump from airport to airport and rent a car for a day or so in each town of interest? Probably cost about the same, and opens the door to skipping some spots that aren't really gonna be exciting.

Plus long stretches of desert in July/August?? I'm not sure that's the best time of year to be wandering about in the wilderness. Or, bypass north and hit South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada on the way.

On the big plus side. I'm sure if you organize your drive right, there would be a FerrariChat.com reception wherever you landed.

DM

10. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Hi, maybe that's a soltion...

or maybe i just lift my car to the US for the time...but i need to check that with the insurrance etc.

Could be fun as well.