2007 Cayman | FerrariChat

2007 Cayman

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Fan512bbi, May 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    #1 Fan512bbi, May 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Following the successful market launch of the Cayman S in autumn 2005, Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, is introducing the Cayman, a new version of the mid-engine sports coupé. Based on the Boxster series, the two-seater is powered by a six-cylinder boxer engine with an engine-capacity of 2.7 liters and developing an output of 245 bhp (180 kW). With its high and sustained propulsive power in the lower and medium speed ranges, the engine puts in an impressive performance. It has a top speed of 258 kilometers per hour. This sports car with manual transmission accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 6.1 seconds. The Cayman is convincing proof of the fact that outstanding performance statistics do not necessarily mean high fuel consumption. According to European standards, it consumes on average only 9.3 liters per 100 kilometers.

Thanks to the Porsche VarioCam Plus system the Cayman affords a torque of 273 Newton meters available between 4,600 and 6,000 revs. Power is transmitted via a five-speed manual transmission with short, precise shifting travel. A six-speed manual transmission in conjunction with the Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) system is also available on request. As a third variant, Porsche offers its customers the well-known Tiptronic S five-speed automatic transmission, which has rocker switches in the steering-wheel spokes for sporty gear shifting.

The Cayman coasts along on 17-inch light-alloy wheels boasting a unique design with five double spokes. 205/55 tires are fitted as standard onto 6.5-inch wide wheel rims at the front; the combination at the rear is 235/50 tires on 8-inch rims. With the Porsche Stability Management (PSM) system fitted as standard, the chassis makes an impressive impact in terms of driving dynamics and active safety.
    The Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) system is available as an optional extra. The system is capable of lowering the body by ten millimeters, and automatically adapts the shock-absorber system to each particular driving situation. The driver can choose between the “normal” and “sport” programs by pressing a button on the center console.

Other special features of the Cayman are black brake calipers, black front-spoiler lips, a titanium-colored logo at the rear and also a trapezoidal tailpipe. The impressive interior boasts a comprehensive range of standard features including an air-conditioning system, a radio/CD player, seat covers in luxurious Alcantara leather, black-faced instrument dials and door entry trims with the Cayman logo. Because of the mid-engine concept, it boasts two trunk compartments with a combined volume of 410 liters, just like its big brother, the Cayman S. Along with many other storage features, this design highlights the sports coupé’s supreme practicality.

In additional to two full-size airbags to guarantee the necessary level of safety protection in the event of head-on collisions, the ingenious Porsche Side Impact Protection System (POSIP), which features a chest and head airbag on each side of the vehicle, also provides excellent protection in side-on collisions.

The basic price in euros for the Cayman is 40,900 euros. In Germany, the vehicle costs 47,647 euros including sales tax and country-specific requirements. The Cayman will be on sale in the USA for 49,400 dollars (not including tax). The market launch in Europe and the USA will take place on July 29, 2006.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    Now , we just need to wait for Cayman RS :D:D:D

3. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Am I the only one that misses the days when cars have their own /interior and personalities?? That interior looks like Audi TT's, not that there is anything wrong with the TT's interior, but I expected more from Porsche.

4. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    just wondering, but how do you access the engine?? are there any pics with the engine "open"??

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Engine access on the Boxster, and probably Cayman, is from beneath (except for oil dipstick - probably through the rear deck on the Cayman).

6. r00t61

r00t61 Rookie

Nov 26, 2004
    San Diego
    You can go ahead and pay for Porsche's customization program. You can have polka-dotted pink leather if you want. But it's gonna cost you.

7. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    The Cayman and 911 models don't have dipsticks -- I suspect it's the same with the Boxster. You now have to rely on some German (Indian ?) programmer's oil measurement algorithm...

I remember the good ol' days when Porsche made no-nonsense sports cars with real dry sump lubrication :)

8. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    That's true of my wife's new 325i also...

Gary

9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    My '04 MB C320 C doesn't have one either. Oil is read by computer on level surface. Our '05 MB SLK 350 does have a dipstick.

Carol

10. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Those rims look pretty ok.

11. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Put the key in the ignition and turn one click. The oil level will show when the countdown stops. This can take as long as 10 minutes if you have been driving hard. There is engine access throus the top of the engine but it entails taking the carpet and foam insulation out then opening a heat shielded aluminum tray that locks down. I sold my boxster S after putting 75 trouble free miles on it. It was a great car but until Porsche stars delivering performance and an interior that is worth the money. I will not buy another one. RUF does have a nice conversion kit for the Boxster and the Cayman that will push the price a bit above a Carrera S, but IMO it would be worth it to have a mid engine car with that kind of reliability and low maintainance costs.

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    although caymans are nice it annoys me that p charges more for the coupe than the convt. seems they needed the boxster for corporate survival 10 yrs ago so offered good value.

wonder if next move is a 'cayman convt' for even more money

13. MrScarface

MrScarface Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 8, 2005
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I like it, but why are they calling it the "Cayman". Why don't they just call it a hard top Boxter? That's what it really is.

14. PrancingHorseFan

PrancingHorseFan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    delaware
    meh, i guess since they had the caymanS, it was only a matter of time till just the cayman. now i wanna see the caymanRS.

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    "Boxster" = "BOXer" engine + "roadSTER"

They may have painted themselves into a corner with the name.

16. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Coupe+boxster=coxster

17. Ducati998S

Ducati998S Karting

Aug 19, 2005
    Lutherville, MD
    They don't come from the factory with the dipstick, but as soon as they're sold, the dipstick sits right behind the steering wheel.

18. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Lol. Yes, my 911 dipstick now sits behind the wheel of my 328.

19. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies

LOL! The only name that makes the Cayman sound good....

20. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thank you Jeremy Clarkson :)

21. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    I think the need to sell for a bit less :)

22. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I saw one on the road yesterday-- it's very sharp, definitely a winner for Porsche.

Now if they really wanted to take a big bite out of BMW they'd build a sedan based on this platform.

Forza,

Cavallini

23. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

No no, the bite out of BMW comes when the 500 horsepower twin turbo V8 sedan comes out ;)

24. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hahaha!!