550 alternator? | FerrariChat

550 alternator?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by robin's308, May 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robin's308

robin's308 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    hello everybody, I was driving the 550 today and the battery light came on and stayed on and the car battery went dead. had to replace the battery to get the car home. we are not sure of the problem but assume it could be alternator or alternator belt..any ideas guys?

2. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    you're correct

Actually there are two levels of battery / alt warning loghts:
    1. the red battery light (small) on the left side of the pod. Ot signals the battery not recharching correctly
    2. A battery sign appearing in the central info win do between tach and speedo. It means the battery is giving low power.

I had alt going bad 6 month ago. I think 7 years is not bad for an alt taking into account these cars are not daily drivers and than they usually have to charge quite a bit since the cars stay parked for some time with alarm on which drains the battery and required big recharge when restarted.

cheers

3. Argento

Argento Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Argentium
    This is why I always use a Battery Conditioner, everytime I put mine away, That way it's always in tip top condition and you never have any problems with low battery power and the alternator doesn't have to work so hard.

Argento

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    err, Unless I'm misynderstanding you, thats the alarm LED. It stays on if the alarm malfunctions, usually from failing siren batteries, but nothing to do with the main battery or alternator.

5. robin's308

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    i have been getting both at one time on occasion, today i have the large red battery light in the center of the lcd screen....the car being 8 years old with 34k miles on it and the fact that the previous owner let the car sit...it makes sense...

6. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Heu ferrarifixer....
    Was talking LHD and refering to the red battery light to the left of the speedo. It was a bit mis leading for me to refer to the left of the pod. Of course was not refering to the red diode close to the fuel guage.

7. robin's308

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    can the alternator be rebuilt locally without any problem? someone told me it was a denso alternator...

8. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yes Waynes electric can do it in HNL.

9. robin's308

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name: