2007 911 GT3 RS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2007 911 GT3 RS

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by RunningOfTheRings, Jun 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RunningOfTheRings

Jan 5, 2006
    Chicago
    The seats were certified for the CGT, and I have no idea what the laws are in terms of getting a roll bar cetified.

If they WANT to, they can have the CGT seats certified for the 911.. It'll just cost a ton of money.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I figured since the seats were in the CGT they are already certed. A roll bar seems to be a crash test issue stateside. But a roll bar is not such a big deal to fit after purchase.

Besides a wider track and 40lbs less weight it does not seem that the rs offers much more.

3. RunningOfTheRings

Jan 5, 2006
    Chicago
    It has a new quicker gear ratio, and new engine internals, making it rev even quicker. It also has new suspension.

It also has the exclusivity factor, and the fact that Porsche is selling you a "fully custom" looking vehicle, which wont lose you money the way an $8k set of aftermarket Black wheels would on your typical exotic.

For a "Custom" look... performance.. exclusivity.. and resale.. you really cant go wrong with the GT3 RS.

I've already placed my deposit.

4. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    It will be lighter too. The last RS was so thorough with weight savings that the P crest on the front hood was replaced with a sticker.

As for the seats/rollcage, it is not so much saftey as perceived saftey. Roll cage- foget it, you will never get that. The seats may have been certified for the CG-T, but the issue is taking side airbags out of a car that otherwise had them. It could be done, but it will be too much red tape to make worth it. Owners will put them in.

5. RunningOfTheRings

Jan 5, 2006
    Chicago
    yanked my deposit.. came to my senses and realized the seats/roll cage will NEVER make it to the US.

waiting for the Audi R8.

6. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
  7. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  8. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    I'm not sure if the GT3 wasn't allowed to be sold with the roll bar or not or if it was Porsche NA that decided against it. I'd be really surprised if DOT didn't allow it. Mercedes has been importing their convertibles with "pop-up" roll bars for years now. Mini Cooper has roll bars in the back for the rear seats and I've seen Mustangs come with factory roll bars as well. I can't imagine either one of these cars wouldn't be allowed to sell with one.

Any way about it it's nice to see Porsche selling some exciting cars to offset their SUVs.

9. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    GT3 RS or Audi R8? lol Wow, you are all over the place. ;) Hard as nails track car, or big sedan? Hmmmm...

Seats and roll cage can easily be installed. How could that stop anyone from buying a car?

10. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    If the R8 was a big sedan, and not audi's upcoming supercar, you might have a point.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If its for track play how about GT3 or Corvette zo6. Apart from brand snobbery what are the porche real benefits

12. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

The old RS did a 1.22.3 around Top Gear's Track. The New ZO6 did a 1.22.4.

The New RS will be a faster car than the current Z06. Who knows about the base GT3 it likely that the basic GT3 will perform around the same as the old RS.

13. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Who cares about top gear times what did they both run on the ring?

14. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

If you're intersted in it, perhaps you should provide it yourself?

/edit/
    But I suppose that is probably expecting too much.

The 996 GT3RS pulls a 7:43. The 996 GT3 pulls a 7:52. The C6 pulls a 8:15. The Supercharged Corvette 'Blue Devil' proto-type pulled a 7:43. The Blue Devil is not the Z06. If the BD were made it would be the highest performing Corvette. Chevy has no intentions of making it.
    /edit/

15. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Ah ha, an official press Release from Chevy is 7:42.99. Chevy used Jan Magnussen, twice winner of Le Mans, to make the time. Undisclosed tires. Which on the ring can make a 25 second difference.

16. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    lol - I thought that post seemed a bit odd. I stand corrected. :D