Ebay question | FerrariChat

Ebay question

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Darkhorse575, Jun 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    For example...

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=4650510924

...Should I be at all wary of the fact that not just in the case of this item but others have about a dozen bids all from private un-named bidder(s)?

My guess is that this is just the seller bidding themselves to get the current bid up. Also notice the bids appear around the same time of day in similar increments. I'm not going to call out the seller on my theory but I wanted to know what you guys think.

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    This car has been for sale for a long time. It has gone through many eBay listings.

Read the description carefully as this car needs attention.

Sellers are precluded from bidding on their own items, and this seller seems quite credible as per statements in prior listings.

I think this time he has interested bidders, and the eBay process allows one to place a determined bid and the system will one up a bid as it's made until the bidder's level has been met. That's what you are seeing here.

I would say that if you are interested to bid on the item do so freely but understand that you may have a bit of work to get the car CA smoged again.

3. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Thanks G.
    Yes frowned upon but, it is possible for a not so credible seller to bid on their own item right?

I'm just using the 400i as an example. All of those cylinders and oil filters are a bit much for a "first Ferrari" buy.

4. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    The only way you can bid on your own auctions is with two i.d's and you can still do it on the same Pc, although if reported ebay does check isp's

5. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    in spite of what Greg, says it still smells fishy. I'd pass.

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Seems like a pretty good car. That shifter is not the most graceful Ferrari design. I would think it should be around $18-22k.
    BT

7. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    like with any purchase, you should check it out first and only pay what you are willing to to get it. doesn't matter who is bidding on it. do you get it for your price or not? that's the question. By the way, if you want to bid on your own stuff, all you need is a friend or relative. we all have at least one of those.

8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    The seller not the buyer makes it a "private" auction. All that means is the bidders names don't show. The seller sets up the auction that way from the beginning and it's sometimes done on higher ticket items. I'm sure there is "shill bidding" going on in some auctions but if a seller did it on a regular basis it should be easy to spot. Just like any other auction, decide the most you are willing to pay for the item and don't bid higher than that.

9. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have a friend whose wife put some ice cube trays she had had in her pantry, unused, for a couple years on ebay.

Her daughter-in-law, who was living with them, used the computer to bid on the ice cube trays. The daughter-in-law thoght they never had anough ice and wanted another set of trays for the freezer. She won the biddin on her this particulaar set of trays. When they figured out who had bought them from who they had a good laugh.

I guess that shows how poorly some people communicate with their inlaws. But, it also shows that the IP address is not a fool proof way to prove someone was bidding up their own auctions.

10. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
    Beware, this Scam has been around since i joined in '99.
    I have Caught a few in my day :D They use their "Friends" to bid up the Auction so you "Pay" more.

11. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    I've seen this ad before too and I really like the looks of this car. In fact, the first Fcar I ever drove was a Black '75 365 GT/4 2+2, 5-speed, at Fantasy Junction a few years ago. I keep thinking, 'I can fit. I can, I can , I can', as I crack my head on the door jam.

As long as the reserve hasn't been met, I don't really see that it matters.

The car still isn't "bought" until the end of the auction.

So let him bid it up all he wants. Who cares? Why care? The first bid that is above the reserve amount is the first real bid. And until you or someone else beats that bid, it's the only bid.

So, "Set your price and bid to that amount".

If you're smart, you'll do it right after the first real bid, and before the end of the auction.

12. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    bought my 308 off ebay. i think the guy i bought it from was bidding it up. thankfully he wasn't too greedy.

13. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    This is a little off topic, but a good e-bay story. About 3 years ago I found a 1968 Hemi Roadrunner (10 point car) via the Auto Trader. Seller was a dealer in Florida, asking price was $ 69,000, which was a bit high in those days, althought they now sell for well over $ 100,000. I wanted the car, talked with their salesman many times, had extentive pictures sent, etc. But we never could agree on the price. I offered $ 62,000 .... the dealer wouldn't budge so I let it go ....... 4 months later the car shows up on e-bay, the seller is the same dealer I was trying to buy it from. I met his reserve right at $ 55,000 and ended up buying the car for this amount. This dealer had to pay the e-bay commission which I believe was 1 1/2 % back then, and got $ 7,000 less than my earlier offer.

I also bought my 550 and 996 on ebay .... never had a problem, and I sold my 850CSI on e-bay about 3 years ago and got $ 10,000 more for it than what I had bought it for 4 years earlier. Needless to say, I like e-bay. However, I did have one issue once, I high bid a no reserve auction for another 850csi, and the seller refused to honor the deal ... told me he got a higher offer right after the auction ended. Oh well.