5 hours to install a tubi on 575? | FerrariChat

5 hours to install a tubi on 575?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by LSTRAUSS, Jul 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LSTRAUSS

LSTRAUSS Rookie

Sep 28, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lowell
    Anyone know a ballpark on the install time/cost for tubi mufflers on a 575?

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Don't be buffalo'd into waiting for and overspending at a dealer (if you are dead set on letting only a dealer touch your car). Any decent muffler shop can do this in half the time for less than half the money! Just inspect the job and make sure the tips match coming out of the rear.

It ain't rocket science, it's only exhaust pipes and mufflers! :)

3. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Agreed, you can do this yourself in less than 2 hours. An exhaust shop with a lift can do the job in well under 2 hours.

Did it on my 456...a real snap.

1. Jack up the rear wheel
    2. remove wheel
    3. remove screen between wheel and mufflers
    4. Loosen muffler hangers
    5. Loosen muffler clamp, slide muffler forward
    6. Muffler drops down, pull it back towards the wheel to remove

install, reverser the procedure. Make sure when you put the tubi in you don't tighten the hangers bolts until you measure (center) the tips in the rear body hole.

MB

4. LSTRAUSS

LSTRAUSS Rookie

Sep 28, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lowell
    thanks for the input Ferrari of SV qouted 825 for the install

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    GULP!!

6. Harmonyautosport

Harmonyautosport Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    New York
    Thats amazing, we charge 3 hours labor for the exhaust install. I suggest you go to your local indep. While your at it we offer a X pipe and high flow cats for the 575. Ill post pictures when im back in the office, contact us at [email protected] for more information.

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Ridiculous. I have done it myself mutliple times in <2.

--Dan

8. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Seems common practice with some Ferrari mechanics, padding hours, particulalry the indepenants. Didn't think an authoriseddealer would play these sorts of games though.
    One mechanic I know boasts how much cheaper than the authorised dealer his hourly rate is, but charges between 2 and 4 times the hours to do a job.

9. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    someone the aussie lads know ss ?

10. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    maybe ;)

11. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Most shops work on book time, an agreed upon 'average' from the Mitchell's book or other source that is an average installation time. Most shop owners expect their techs to do a job in 50% of book time, or less.

That said, I don't know of any book that has Ferrari labor costs, but the general theory still stands. A job that takes @ 1-1/2 hours to complete could conceivably be billed at 3 hours.

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Over here it's the opposite. Most independants are true to form and trustworthy, skilled and knowledgable - and most of the dealer techs are yo-yos.

--Dan

13. LSTRAUSS

LSTRAUSS Rookie

Sep 28, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lowell
    They ended up charging 660. There was a reason I brought it to a dealer. The car was purchased from Foreign Cars Italia in NC and it arrived with issues. Still working to see if they will stand behind the car they sold in "immaculate condition" inside and out. I will post the outcome.

14. LSTRAUSS

LSTRAUSS Rookie

Sep 28, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lowell
    PS anyone have this type of issue with a 575 , sort of a high pitched tinny rattle from the rear when engaging the clutch most audible.

Dealer description of the problem: The “tink noise” is from free play in the drive axels. This is caused by wear & tear of the transmission. We would have to remove the rear suspension components in order to remove the drive axels. Then we would need to apply special factory sealant to close the areas of free play & reassemble all components.

15. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Were they going to kiss you also............If I kept my 328 I was going to install my own....didn't seem hard.....at that rate the dealer is charging about $375 an hour.

16. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    don't mean to hijack the thread but it fits. Whats the sound of the Capristo on the 550 compared to the Tubi? Higher pitched?