USGP At Indianapolis - 2007 Still A Chance | FerrariChat

USGP At Indianapolis - 2007 Still A Chance

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Jul 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Looks like Tony has not yet given up with Bernie.

Right now, there is no other facility in the USA that would be FIA ready for a 2007 USGP. For that reason, let's hope that we at least continue to have a USGP at Indy. Better than nothing.

2. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    It would never happen but man it'd be awesome to have it at Road America!

3. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    It would be entirely accurate that there is no major facility in the U.S. (with admittedly one possible exception) which is willing to pay what FOM asks for a race. Every other track in the series receives some government support; governments may be willing to lose $10M or so on a race. Privately owned tracks are not, and that's Bernie's deal. When the US tracks were approached after Indy 2005, the benefit offered justifying the financial loss was "Look at the prestige."

There was no U.S. track willing to make that deal.

4. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The mayor of Indianapolis wants the contract renewed, and has offered to help T George if necessary. George stated he has never accepted any gov. incentives. Will Bernie's new charges make him change his mind.

5. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    why not. if the goverment was giving away money i'd get in line too. the article i read said the gp dumps millions into the local economy. so they look at it as an investment. the sad thing is the money goes into bernies pocket.

6. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    if the mayor is so set on wanting the contract renewed, he/she should look at not screwing potential attendees with way over priced budget type hotel rooms - making the entire package more appealing to the out of town spectator would be a good start . . .

Carol

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Even if there were government money, there is no track that would be FIA ready for F1. Beacoup monies would need to be spent to bring even the best of US venues up to established standards.

8. Snapper323

Snapper323 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2005
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    L. Lee
    F1 doesn't need to be centralized in the US. It needs to be rotated around the country. What surprises me is that there has never been any thought put into a "back up" location in case Indy decides no. Road Atlanta would be an idea spot because Atlanta still has a numerous facilities left over from the Olympics of 1996.

9. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    paid less than $500 for rt airfare room for two nights and a rental car. don't know how it's gonna get much cheaper than that.

10. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    What was your city pair? I made reservations at a very close hotel (Days Inn I believe - low cost chain) - as soon I had an idea of when the GP was going to take place - I believe rate was in the 70 range (still too high for a Days Inn); our daughter made reservations at same location and was quoted 2 times that - now that's a rip off. Air fare from DFW-IND at one point was some 1200 pp - no way Jose on that. Instead of spending that kind of money to go to an race in Indy - you'll find me on the way to the better F1 races in Europe. In all the F1 events we attended in various locations in Europe, we've never been charged a higher rate for a race weekend - in fact a couple times at the Holiday Inn in Modena our rate for part of our stay went down. So accomodating the person who's willing to spend surplus cash to play the F1 games is a nice gesture rather than giving you the feeling like you've been hosed.

Carol

Carol

11. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Atlanta is great, but Road Atlanta would have to be rebuilt. The last turn on to the main straight would never be approved for F1. Whose gonna pay for that? Obviously RA's ownership hasn't offered to do so yet.

As for the topic of hotel rates, I don't think we can single out F1 and Indianapolis as the only place where hotel rates go crazy when there is a race. In 30+ years of travelling all over for races, raising rates and minimum stays for special events happens 100% of the time everywhere. Watkins Glen, Long Beach, Detroit, Daytona, Monaco, LeMans, Mid Ohio, Road America, etc. When I went to Monza, I stayed in a monastary in Lake Como, and the rate went up double GP weekend. Its the way hotels make up for the slow seasons. Not condoning it, but it is a reality. I am going to Pebble Beach in August, having to pay $250 for a $75 room. No guarantee I will have an orgasm. But then the Concours is $150!

Only solution is to rent a motor home or sleep in your car. Not going is not an option for me.

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

It would never happen but man it'd be awesome to have it at Barber's Motorsports!

13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

You keep banging that drum, but I just can't agree with you. Our flight was $200 person round trip, and a nice 2 bedroom suite about 15 minutes from the track was $150/night. I'm looking at a ticket stub that says $100 on it and wondering why the hotel room prices are an issue.

By the way, have you priced rooms down on the Gulf coast lately? We passed through there a week or so prior to Indy, and roach motels were $100+ a night.

14. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    We sit next to a Swiss family every year. They tell me it is cheaper to fly here for the entire week (including hotel and race tickets) than to travel to and attend ANY race in Europe. Something to think about folks.

As far as tracks, where can they stash 150-200K people to actually WATCH the race? I'd like to see how they could accomplish this in a Las Vegas parking lot, Chicago, or NY. That would be as disastrous as Phoenix, Long Beach, or the stupid Caesers was. And who in their right mind would want to improve their track to FIA standards without a firm commitment!?!?! As a backup?!?! IMHO, there is nothing wrong with Indy. Is it Spa? Heck no! But it is at the most historic motorsports location in the US. Track viewing access is terrific. Heck, at least there is overtaking. And for you Montoya fans, there seems to be a pretty good wreck every year. Bernie will play this out like he has with Silverstone and Spa. People will be in an uproar and be pissed and he will generate countless headlines and ultimately generate more interest - nothing new to Bernie's MO.

15. 1K Suns

1K Suns Rookie

Jul 28, 2006
    I'm sure F1 is tired of playing 3rd fiddle at Indy. They need a track where they are the main event.