308GT4 Purchase advice | FerrariChat

308GT4 Purchase advice

Discussion in '308/328' started by James in Denver, Jul 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Everyone,

I'm a newbie, but saw a car that I am interested in. (See post: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114909)

Called and he's at $37K non-negotiable. Seems to have done right by the car as far as body and engine, plenty of upgrades. Price seems steep.

Any advice?

Reply onlist or send offlist to JINDENVERDTC AT AOL DOT COM

Thanks,
    James in Denver

2. EuroDino

EuroDino Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph Fischetti
    wing is not a stock item, the "converted" rear luggage area does not resemble the rear seat delete option that was available. and more....
    but a PPI should be first on your list.

good 308 GT4's are harder and harder to come by. take plenty of time to look for a good one.

3. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I guess you can ask any price you want, but IMO he is way to high at 37k.

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Couldn't agree more.....

$37k for a non original color, aftermarket wing added, non factory wheel, homemade parcel shelf GT4 is high.

I looked for over a year trying to find an original car. Let me tell you there aren't that many out there.
    1st there were only 393 series one US cars. (and you want a series 1 over a series 2). Be conservative and figure that 1/3 are wrecked or junked and you have 259 cars. Now narrow the search by at least 1/2 if you want an unmolested one and your down to around 125 cars.

These are over 30 years old cars now. We're talking vintage here. Look at the history of any make vintage car and you'll see that the unmolested and the earliest ones in the series are always the one everyone wants. Prices on original GT4's are moving upwards. Watch what happens over the next 5 years, you're going to see more and more owners trying to get them back to original shape so they can command the high end of the market. Want proof? Do a search at Ferrari Market Letter and take a look at prices on 246 Dinos from 5 years ago. I could kick myself for some of the ones I passed on. <sigh>

Pass on this one and keep looking.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    umm, i have a busy day ahead... but suffice it to say, i would not pay more than $22k for the ebay dino. at $37k he can keep it.

6. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Having bought and sold a GT4 I have the following to say:

It's easy to buy a bad car, but it's still difficult to sell a good one.

If you're buying then spend the time to find a good one at a reasonable price...they are out there.

7. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Its good to look around and see whats out there and compair. Have you tried www.dupontregistry.com, or www.collectorcartraderonline.com. Then of course ferrariads.com or even on the FCA web sight also. Doesn't hurt to shop, but the prices are definately going up. Everyone's finally seeing how fun these cars actually are, and that they are quite unique too. Usually pic's never do them justice, wait till you see/drive one for yourself, you'll be hooked for sure then! Good luck and keep us posted!

Cheers!

DT

8. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Very very true! And I think I've finally talked my wife into letting me keep mine! Yippiee!

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Best news of the day! Awesome!

10. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Yew know it brother!

And now that it's about half payed off, she's finally beginning to see the economics in it. Especially with the above referenced car bid up to $20K.

I mentioned just yesterday, "Well gee.. If the prices keep going up, I might make our really well".

To which she replied, "But I thought you were going to keep it. Now you're going to sell it? Why?".

I just grinned... :)

PS: Sorry for the hijack...

11. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    May you please explain that above statement of yours that I highlighted? There are so many average to shabby cars for sale, I would expect a clean, original, immaculate example to be an easy sale (everyone wants one of those!), even at a higher price...

12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I should have added to my above post that in the six years I've owned my GT4, I've had a number of people approach me to buy my car. I will admit it's in decent shape but not perfect shape.

I won't sell it as I'd never be able to replace it (even with another GT4).

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Not perfect but in MUCH more than decent shape. A very well sorted and maintained car. I would LOVE to have it myself.

See the preceeding statement. If you bought another chances are you'd be starting all over fixing all of the "little" things that make a good car a great car.

BTW, first dibs if you decide to sell.:p:p

14. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #14 aleventhal, Jul 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well - I did not make that statement, but my .02 is that very few buyers really WANT a gt4 - most want a Ferrari, and see a gt4 as a cheap way in. Thus, it is hard to sell a good one - that is, one that is not cheap - because anyone with the money to buy one will prolly buy a cheap 328 or 348 instead. Not all buyers - but most.

I have owned a Series 1 gt4 for 12+ years (#10704). Dead nuts original, every book, tool and record from new. One bare metal photo documented repaint, original interior. Dino Key fob, dino pouch - 2 sets of original keys, trouble light, etc. Photo documented engine and gearbox rebuild by Bill Pollard. ~$100k in receipts. 1st in class and 2nd overall on New England 1000. Completely original interior, etc., etc. If a beater is $20k I would be willing to bet I could not get $30k for mine. Even though we know the icor dino key fob is worth $1k by iteself. Is it worth the money? Absolutely. Would it ever sell? I doubt ever. Not that it is for sale, but I think this is the point the previous poster was making.

Alex
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Alex,

So that's 'your' car! Wow...

I've had that top picture on my computer for quite awhile. It's one of the first ones I showed to my wife before I bought the one (#10314) that you are familiar with.

We liked it because we really like that color. The cheaply re-sprayed one in Florida is another color we like. But the car (as I've been told by others) was marginal.

Origianlly I wanted to paint mine to look just like yours. But I'd have to replace the picnic table on the back.

BTW: Do you have any knowledge of how my lower grill became a Series II?

16. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Your car looks great Alex! The GT/4's are great looking cars, it's just taken a while for most people to catch on. We can't help it if thier just a little slow now can we? The prices are going up. I saw 1 recently advertised for over 40K. Of course is was said to be concourse quality though. But still I think things are still looking good. I too would be hard pressed to sell mine unless someone offered me a rediculas price. But if I was going to move up (?) to a newer model I would still keep the Dino because of what she is. But back to James, keep looking my friend, you'll find one. And keep us posted!

Cheers!

DT

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Alex - spectacularly beautiful car. Wow - a perfect series 1!
    I agree, the GT4 is best appreciated for the great car it is. Quite brilliant on its own requiring no apologies. If I had yours I would never sell!
    Beautiful!

18. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm not in a hurry . . . BUT I've stumbled across a GT4 owner here in Colorado and we are talking. Seems to be the ideal candidate right now, good miles, good history, decent repairs, due for major belts but overall its looking good. I haven't seen the car yet, going this coming weekend.

This is probably the one, but I'll keep everyone posted.

Of course, my first thing to do if I buy will be Birdman's fuseblocks. I will ask all of you FChatters about other things, but I'll wait until I've finalized the deal.

James in Denver. (Cross-posted in Rcky Mtn Area)

19. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Sounds great, I can't wait to hear what you think after seeing one in the metal! Really love to hear what you think after you go for your first ride, or better still, first DRIVE! Enjoy!

Cheers!

DT

20. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    #20 dinogt4guy, Jul 31, 2006
  21. EuroDino

EuroDino Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph Fischetti
    #21 EuroDino, Jul 31, 2006
  22. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    LOL, never heard that before. Your car looks awesome. It is the first F car I ever remember. I spotted it in the Edmund's foreign car prices book from 1974, I think. It was the only F car offered (at least in the book). Wanted one ever since.

23. driver

driver Karting

Sep 19, 2002
    James...I think that I have seen the E-Bay car. Up close, it looks really good. Everything is negotiable.

24. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    an someone explain to me the difference between a series 1 and 2 car, and why a 1 is better?

Thanks.

25. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Series 1 cars had Dino badges throughout. No cats. Hotter cams. Only 393 US cars made.

With any collector car the series 1 cars are alway the most sought after. Not always the best, but the car everyone wants.
    Taken a look at the prices of series 1 Jags vs series 2 lately? It'll curl your toes.