NC Speeding ticket | FerrariChat

NC Speeding ticket

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by 285ferrari, Aug 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    OK guys----My Mom received a ticket for speeding in NC on Sat afternoon. She is still down there on vacation but called me for advice--hence I am a Police Officer. I don't know NC traffic law but what she tells me sounds wrong.

She said the officer stopped her for 74 in a 55 zone and wrote her a ticket. No big deal I told her to pay it and be done with it. She lives here in Maryland. The officer told her she cannot pay the ticket. She must come to court or have an attorney come to court for her. WTF!!!!! She told the officer she was on vacation and just passing through. She do not want to contest the citation because she knows she was speeding. She does not want to drive back down to NC (5 hr. drive) for court. He told her she must pay for a lawyer to go for her or she must come back.

This does not sound right. Exanple I gave her--- So if I am moving to Alaska, passing through NC, don't have money to afford an attorney?? I have to fly back there at a cost of a 1k plane ticket or pay an attorney hundreds for a freakin speeding ticket?????? This just does not sound correct. Can any of you Carolians help me out??? Is this the way they do it down there????

In Maryland anyone from anywhere can send the payment in and be done with it, for any payable traffic offense..

2. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    That is BS........ I've been lucky enough not to get a ticket, but from other peoples experience all you have to do is pay it. Sounds like that guy needs to go back to school.

3. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I don't think that that is BS. I'm pretty sure anything 15 or more over in a 55 is a mandatory court appearance, hence why a lot of people are written for 69 in a 55, etc.

I would speak to an NC attorney fluent in traffic law before you blow it off or pay it...

Where was it?

-Peter

4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    At that speed she may be better off getting a lawyer. Some parts of NC can change the charge to a non point violation. Trust me on this, all of the states are suppose to be interactive or recipical as far as tickets are concnered. The fee for my last event was only around $200, and well worth it. Her speed on that ticket will result in a 4 point violation.

Also what part of NC? When I got mine, those sharp lawyers were sending me letters the next week!

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hey charlie, is that your picture on the profile, no, not the painted face, the other.

6. superX

superX Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Dennis Briddell
    In NC, if the limit 55 or greater, and you were clocked >15 over, then you or your lawyer MUST appear in court. You cannot mail it in and plead guilty. It is considered wreckless and careless (or something like that) and if found guilty, has a mandory license suspension.

7. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    NC Points cannot be assessed on a Md license--
    Called Mom back---The ticket was written by a NC Highway patrol officer. Robeson County in Lumberton, NC

8. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Just doesnt make sense for people traveling trough. I live in Alaska and dont have alot of money. I borrow my freinds car to go to the store. Get stopped and cited. The next day I fly back to home(alaska)----I am then required to come back for a freakin speeding ticket or pay an attorney $$$$ for a speeding ticket....WTF----That is BS!!!! How about if I cannot afford an attorney. The state is paying for a public defender for me????

That is a gimmick played out by the state and attorneys----No two ways around it. It would make more sense to fine-- out of state drivers higher and give them the chance to pay it. How many people traveling through would come to court. 5% maybe. 95% would just pay the ticket ---The rest is pure profit for the state if the people just pay the fine....Here in MD if it is a payable ticket. I give you an envelope to mail the payment in. I cant think of one out of state driver who came back here for court on a $70 or $80 ticket.

9. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Just spoke to a NC Trooper ---all is taken care of,,

10. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    I would like to hear the details.

11. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    No details to give----it is true about appearing or having a lawyer appear on your behalf. Any speed 15 mph or more over the limit..NC is the only state left to have such a law....

12. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Wow I have never heard of that.......but I'm glad you got it taken care of.

Great info guys

13. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Is was talking about details about it all being taken care of. Sounded like you spoke to a highway patrolman and got it taken care of?

14. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I guess you can say it is taken care of---That is all I can say about that...

15. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The first rule of being a police officer is don't talk about being a police officer ;)

16. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Glad it's resolved. Lumberton is a very common speedtrap - has been for decades - so be careful when you go through there. It's the most likely place in NC to get a ticket along I-95.

For future reference, last time I got a ticket in NC (which was undeserved, but that's another matter) I found a traffic attorney here:

http://www.motorists.org/Attorneys/attorneyindex.html

It's a great thing to join for a lot of reasons, but you don't need to be a member for an attorney referral. I was able to get mine switched to a non-points violation. Well worth the attorney cost when you're insuring multiple exotics...

-- charles

17. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Taken care of...well great! Now back to issuing ticket tax to others that have to hire a lawyer to get things "taken care of".

I wonder if the guys writing for anything above 65 have searched what happened to highway safety numbers since the speed limits went up.

18. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    For future reference, last time I got a ticket in NC (which was undeserved, but that's another matter)

Charles, aren't all tickets undeserved?

Karl

19. bruceski3

bruceski3 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    The speedtrap is usually heading south on I-95 , just before you reach Lumberton at the end of the row of trees and before the Concrete dividers which a cop is sitting on the inside left always !!!
    I like to smile and wave at the cops as I pass by just for the hell of it.

Speaking of Speedtraps look out for a town called Society Hill SC. Speed Limit says 25 mph and make SURE you do the speed limit or less. They will cite you for 1mph over the speed limit in a heartbeat. The town is pretty poor and ticketing drivers in the area makes the town money.

20. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    I know all of MINE are, but I didn't want to speak for everyone... :)

-- charles

21. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    so what is the remedy if you are out of state and this happens to you? You have to pay the frigging lawyer to go on your behalf?

22. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Yes you will need a lawyer unless you are a police officer. If you are a police officer you can get it "taken care of" over the phone!

23. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    If you reguarly exceed the speed limit - and are leaving your normal driving area, take a look around fowr what you may run into. I know when my brother was driving his 944 home through the Dragons Tail, I looked up what was up. Found out the police had a big day planned for the road - and informed him. :)