Had a problem with the 430 tonight... what do you think? | FerrariChat

Had a problem with the 430 tonight... what do you think?

Discussion in '360/430' started by chuckd, Aug 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chuckd

chuckd Karting

May 8, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Tonight we pulled up to a train crossing (the trains were already there), so we ended up sitting there for almost 15 minutes in idle. At one point, we even put on the emergency brake, and double-paddled into neutral, engine still running.

After awhile, we noticed a slight burning smell, almost like burning rubber. We thought it was the train.

Finally, when we were able to go, we right-clicked into 1st, hit the gas and the car immediately died. After it died, the RED E-DIFF light came on, but only after the engine died. We restarted, and it happened again, showing the red E-DIFF light.

We even turned the car off, took out the key and opened the door, then restarted from scratch. Still immediately died with the E-DIFF light when we put it into 1st.

So we sat there like dorks for about 10 minutes, letting it 'cool'.

Then we started it up, and everything was fine!

None of the temperature gauges showed anything wrong. It IS worth noting that the outside temperature was 100 degrees (almost 38 C).

After we got home, we opened the engine compartment, and it did seem quite hot, and the 'smell' we noticed earlier definitely came from that area. Where exactly, I can't tell.

Shouldn't this car be able to sit there for 15 minutes without overheating something?

Thanks for any input!

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

What's the manual say about the E-diff light coming on? Sounds like some kind of overheating issue.

3. chuckd

chuckd Karting

May 8, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    All it says is that it is an E-Diff malfunction, but the car will be driveable without E-Diff. This isn't what happened, and the E-Diff light only came on AFTER it died. It was not on all the time.

There would be no indicators at all, until it was slipped into gear, then it would die, followed by the E-Diff light.

4. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

my wild guess would be that the hydraulic pump that operates the F1 gearbox, clutch and Ediff overheated - it will come on periodically to maintain pressure - sitting there 15min idling is a long time - the pump is known to cause some trouble; however I might be biased because I am worried about the complexity of that system

if the hydraulic system fails it would explain that the car stalls at pickup - it also would explain the ediff error - an over heated motor would explain the smell

nevertheless I would not let my 430 idle for 15min ...

5. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    well it was 100 degrees and that could be a little rough with just windows open no?

:)

6. F430SilverArrow

F430SilverArrow Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Robert Spiteri
    Have you had the F1 campaign done. If not take it in. That will cause what you described.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    In the 360 shop manual, with regard to the gear box, it says "In case of severe system failure, which would not ensure a safe driving of the car, the engine stop is requested if the vehicle is at a standstill or running at a speed below 15 km/h." This sounds like your case - i.e. the F1 ECU requested an engine stop.

If I had to take a wild guess, I would say the heat build up from the engine and outside temp probably resulted hydraulic system getting too hot. That could (might) have caused the line pressure to increase to a level where it caused the system to shut down. Just a guess.

Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to let any car idle for that long, let alone a street driven race car. I always turn my car off if it looks like I'm going to be sitting for more than a minute or two in line, etc.

The shop manual also mentions that "if the car is not started even if the starter motor works and no request for motor stop is stored by the engine ECU, this means that the problem is not caused by the gear-shift system". That appears to indicate that if a motor stop request was made, then it would have been stored in the ECU. If that is the case, you could probably have your dealer read the ECU code. I have a reference here for ECU codes, let me check that.

Looks like error code P1586 or P1587 (as shown on the SD2) would be the code signaling an engine stop request from the F1 Gearbox ECU. You may also be able to read that code off an ODBII reader, but I don't know for sure, since I have never tried one on my car.

I wonder also... perhaps if the cat(s) over heated at idle, maybe the cat ECU's would cause the engine not to start until the temp went down - sort of along the lines of the "slow down" light when you drive the car too hard.

BTW, this information is from the 360 manual, not the F430 - but I figure it would be very similar.

Ray

8. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    What F1 campaign?

9. VK430gt

VK430gt Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 18, 2006
    Anywhere Anytime
    Full Name:
    VK430GT DUH!!
    is your 430 a euro? and did you engage the parking brake before you put it into nuetural? (exuse my grammer) because then you may have had a slight wheel spin which could cause one of the wheel bearings to get chewed up making the traction control confused. some other questions, what position was your mannitino in? and was your battery charged? do you let your car sit in the garage for long periods of time? if so how often do you drive it?

10. rscholl

rscholl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Houston,TX

Huh?

11. VK430gt

VK430gt Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 18, 2006
    Anywhere Anytime
    Full Name:
    VK430GT DUH!!
    sorry, i thought i was cool for a second acting like a doctor or something, but a couple more questions, how many miles do you have on the car and do you have service regularly done? if so what have you gotten done?

12. vanny

vanny Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    buffalo ny
    Full Name:
    van molenberg
    is there a new f1 430 service campaign issue ????

13. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    I think he is talking about the f1 problem that stopped production for a week 6 months ago. the gear box on few cars exploded

14. chuckd

chuckd Karting

May 8, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    The car has about 3500 miles on it, it's NOT a Euro car, and it is run regularly (at least 5 days a week). It does have it's regular service done, and the last time it was in the shop was about 2 months ago, where it was in because the 'Slow Down' light kept coming on. It had an ECU contact problem at that time.

It's a fairly new car (manufacturing date was 12/05).

The car appears to be running fine today, so it definitely seems to be some type of overheating problem.

15. F430SilverArrow

F430SilverArrow Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Robert Spiteri
    If you VIN # has a "144" in it the F1 software needs to be updated at the dealer. If you have brought you car into the dealer in the last 7 months they would/should update any ongoing campaigns. It is not a recall and they will not contact you. It is just something they do when you bring the car in for any service etc.

16. chuckd

chuckd Karting

May 8, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    I'll check that VIN right when I get home. Unlike some people on here assume about all Ferrari owners, I don't actually know my vehicle's VIN by memory!

Thanks for the input.

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Almost every single serious problem we have, and almost every single, on the road break down we have with F1 systems are people experiencing an event or having a warning light trigger and continue driving the car. The car should be in the dealership service department. It is under warranty, let it be their problem.

430 and 360 systems are quite different. Few comparisons can be made.

The SD2 does not use P codes.

Long periods of idle will not cause excessive hyd pressures unless there is a failure of the pressure sensors.

Long periods of idle should not cause overheating of any of the systems. During servicing periods of idle far longer than 15 minutes are often encountered.

18. dongerdude

dongerdude Formula 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Full Name:
    Carl
    How long did you wait before going into neutral? I'm not entirely sure how each part of the F1/hydraulic system is managed by the ECU, but I'm wondering if it could be some sort of clutch issue/overheating. As I say, I don't know exactly how it all works, but if you hold the car in gear on just the brake pedal, presumably the clutch is still engaged/or at least trying to engage, and possibly it could be the automated clutch or part of its mechanism that has overheated.

19. cbreed

cbreed Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Jonestown, Tx
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I have had the same problem, slow speed or stop for some long period, then E-Diff Red light goes ON, Engine dies, wait a bit, get embarassed, look like an idiot for a while people look at you funny, then it starts up and off ya go. 06-430 VIN 145450

20. chuckd

chuckd Karting

May 8, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Turns out my VIN is 145xxx, so I guess I don't have the F1 campaign issue.

The guys at the dealership have 'heard' of a problem where one of the E-Diff sensors has a slight problem, and it's only detected when the car is shifted into gear. Thus, leading to an engine kill followed by the E-Diff light.

This seems to be 'one of those weird things' that happens to Ferraris from time to time, that we all learn to live with. Gotta love em!

21. millbrooke cars

Aug 13, 2006
    Has this problem happened only once?

22. chuckd

chuckd Karting

May 8, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Yes, only the one time. We now plan to just turn off the car if it's going to be idling too long.

Doesn't seem quite right to me.

23. Donie

Donie Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Spain/Ireland
    I believe that the problem is there in those two sentences.

How long was the car idling, while in gear?

It's not the idling bit that causes the problem, but the length of time the car was in gear before 'double-paddling' into neutral.

I only have 360 experience, but I would imagine that the hydraulic pump and circuits in the 430 are similar, and you are strongly advised against remaining in gear, even at busy intersections, for more than a few minutes, because the F1 systems overheats.

24. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ditto that.