Mustang Restoration UPDATE - engine | FerrariChat

Mustang Restoration UPDATE - engine

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Ferrari Boy, Aug 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    #1 Ferrari Boy, Aug 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So these past few weeks I have been busy with my first car, a 1969 Mustang Mach 1. When we bought it we thought it had a blown head gasket, but after it was taken to a shop it turned out that one of the heads was cracked in TWO places. At that point we decided to take the bottom half of the engine in, since we've already gone so far.

The engine is out, what do we do now while it's in the shop? Clean the engine compartment. We borrowed the engine lifter we used from a guy named Mike, who later offered to primer and repaint my engine compartment. We decided to let him do it since he said he could do it in a few days, yet it turned out to be the biggest mistake on the project yet. Besides the fact that he painted over every wire or metal piece (that shouldn't be painted), it turned out good, until the final coat. He did 3 coats of primer, but from some reason he rushed it at the end so he can be done and not have to come back the next day. So what we ended up having is 80 grit sandpaper marks in the primer, which obviously showed through to the black. This absolutely drove my dad crazy.

After a few days of thinking, we decided to re-do the newly painted engine compartment. So I took off the fenders and whatever else was necessary and we went at it. I used "aircraft remover" to strip most of the paint in the horrible areas. After scrapping off the stripped paint, I took a wire wheel and a light paint removing wheel to the surface and took most of the problem areas to bare metal. This sounds easy talking about it, but as I'm sure many of you know, this took DAYS and with lots of sweat, blood, moaning and groaning.

With the deadline of the engine comming back soon my dad decided to pick up a new toy, a 40 lb capacity sand blaster! This day was actually yesterday. So he put it together, and we got crackin. So much easier this makes it, but what a mess it creates!!! Starting tomorrow, there should be another 4 hours or so of blasting away at the paint. Most of the engine compartment, the shock towers, frame and other areas are bare metal already, and is comming out really really well. When everything is said and done it should be absolutely beautiful.

So we actually did get the engine back today, along with the exhaust manifolds (sandblasted), valve covers, and with the air cleaner being back tomorrow freshly cleaned and degreased. The engine compartment should be finished hopefully by the end of tomorrow, but for sure the next day. Then we put it all back together!! Hope that all goes well. :) It should be running in a week or two.

Here's some pictures, from start to finish. I'll be sure to add more when everything is painted and when our installation process begins. Enjoy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    Holy cow, what a project. Thanks for sharing the details. A wise old man once said to always double your estimates of time and money when starting these things. Unless it's a Ferrari and then octuple everything. BTW, the manifolds look great.

3. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    fantastic! What a great project. Yeah, getting rid of paint is a b+tch. Been there, hate that. I am actually prepping my engine compartment for paint today. Then engine and tranny back in on monday...i hope.

What a great car. Stoked for you.

D

4. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    by the by,

keep that sucker locked up tight! somebody stole my SS inserts for my hood while at the body shop. Just a reminder that people love original parts. Also, make sure that you keep adjusting your insurance coverage as per the money you are putting into it. Proper documentation and receipts. Just in case...

d

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Keep at it. Look forward to seeing it at CC one day :)

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Great thread!!

Very nice work!! What a great project.

7. derek a

derek a Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    CA OR
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Good work David! You did the right thing by stripping the engine compartment to the bare metal. Can't wait to see the painted pictures

8. Jim Bremner

Jim Bremner Karting

Jan 2, 2006
    wow !

do yourself a favor and buy a set a TCP motor mounts

I used to bust std ford motor mounts in 2-3 months

the cheap house motor mounts last 1-2 months

Very wise on spending the time to detail it

9. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004

ahhh whatayouknow???????????????????????

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yeedawgies!

11. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Well thanks guys for the comments! Spent 5-6 hours today on it and didn't get as far as I would have liked. Heading back out there soon. And as for the motor mounts, I already bought new motor mounts for a 1969 with a 351w from mustang country so those should be fine.

More pics to come soon.

12. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Man that looks like fun! Congratulations David!

Hope to see you again soon!

13. 951

951 Karting

May 24, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sounds like a great project, and I think you will be very gratified when you finally finish and get that beauty on the road. I do all of my work on my car, and it really helps (in more than one way).

Good luck!

14. liebkid

liebkid Karting

Mar 6, 2006
    Back to the water!
    Full Name:
    Darth Diggler
    David, you're da man! That is one sweet great car and a killer of a project. You'll have the greatest running horse on the road in no time!!! :)

15. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    David,
    You guys are having a blast, literally! Good style on going BIG on the detail of the engine compartment, if your gonna do it at all, do all of it. Hope to see that horsey at Yardhouse or HOP in a couple months!!
    Ciao,
    -Luigi

16. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Hey, thanks man!! I sure hope to get her lookin nice and purdy soon. And with a 351 in it, how can I complain? :)
    Couple monts!?? hope to be a lot sooner :) Even if it won't look gorgeous in it's primer and faded paint, I'll still be proud to drive it and take it wherever. I just won't park it in the ferrari line :) Hope to see you soon lou!

17. Jim Bremner

Jim Bremner Karting

Jan 2, 2006
    the motor mounts will be fine.....until you make serious torque & h.p

18. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Holy moly! David you are the man! That's how I started rebuilding cars... in the garage or outside next to the house when it wasn't snowing! (New Jersey many moons ago) You chose a great car to build. Plenty of parts sources and fairly priced. Have a great time! Glad to see Dad helping out! Hope to see it soon!

19. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Hey Lou! How's that beautiful 308 comming?

20. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004

jim, no spare keys huh...looks like a new ingnition switch, and door locks....(mustang talk)

21. Jim Bremner

Jim Bremner Karting

Jan 2, 2006
    yup, sucks to be Rich today !

I turned every thing over that I could at both my home and the Dad's killer garage.
    I also called my dad for anywhere else to look. All of the "ford" keys @ the property opened up his cars

not just the ign & door but it's not gonna go far with out gas

time to drill the decklid lock to! I've done that once it takes about 5 minutes with a 3/8 drill bit once it's cleared out just stick a flatblade in it and turn.

22. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    #22 Ferrari Boy, Aug 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    [size=+4]UPDATE[/size]

So this project has taken longer than we have anticipated. Lately the sandblaster has been pooping out on us, so my dad bought all new bigger valves and souped (sp?) it up. Now it works PERFECTLY. With this we were able to remove all the stuff it couldn't before and in only a few hours.

We decided to get anal and remove the brake booster and master cylinder and clean that area and paint it correctly. I'm real glad we did this because it looks absolutely beautiful. However by doing this we had to remove all the dash :(. Most of it was already out from the removal of the heater core, but this just means more to put back together. But hey, at least it will be done correctly.

Today we finished all the sandblasting of the engine bay and the driver side wheel well. The passenger side is virtually untouched because it needs more cleaning and we don't want to sweep up another 50 pounds of sand, twice, when we need to get it primered. So after all the sandblasting was complete, we pushed the car out and swept up and cleaned the driveway so we can primer the engine bay/frame/wheel well/suspension with first layer of primer which is meant to protect from rust. With this we hopefully will never have to worry about rust again.

First primer is on, finished, and absolutely gorgeous. If the black will go on this good then we will be very very VERY happy. We also primered my air cleaner and valve covers, which were absolutely pitiful before. Once the dark blue is on those it should be very nice.

So tomorrow we should have all the sand-able primer finished and hopefully get the black on. Once all that is one, time to put the car back together!

Took lots of pics, ENJOY! I can't wait for the before and after.

23. jescu

jescu Rookie

Mar 18, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Joshua E.
    It's going great David! I can't wait to see it painted! Hey look, I see my sweat in one of those pictures! =)

24. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    Gosh that hard work seems to be paying off! It's starting to look better than new. Thanks for the update.

25. costa

costa Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Costantino Bertuzzi
    Good Job David ...... as soon as you can drive the car, come over to FX for a FREE ALIGNMENT!!!!!

Ciao

Costa