like pulling teeth - internet price quotes | FerrariChat

like pulling teeth - internet price quotes

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by desmomini, Aug 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here's a MAJOR pet peeve...

Every single dealer in the U.S. has a website, and each one has a link for "Get a Quote". Now, I'm in the market for a new BMW 3-series coupe. I want it delivered to the Performance Center in Spartanburg, SC. This is like European delivery, except there's no Europe involved. You get to tour the factory, get a brief driving school, etc. It makes sense, since I live in SC.

I could order from any dealer in the country, and pick up the car in SC. So, I've been filling out the info on websites, requesting price quotes. In every case so far, I get an automatic auto-answer email indicating that someone will contact me, and then I get a phone call, instead of an email.

Now, I'm busy. I want to buy a car, but I don't want to be SOLD a car...I simply don't have that time. I just want some prices, and if everyone in the country comes back with the exact same price, I'll have learned something. Fine, I'd pick someone, call them, give them a deposit by credcit card, and get my order in. But NO ONE is sending me a price by email. I'm getting to the point where if one single dealer actually sends me a price, I'll buy the sucker from them.

I recognize that all the dealers are paranoid that if they give out a price, I'll shop it around. But since no one is giving a price, the one brave soul who actually does quote me something will get my business.

I gots the money burning a hole in my pocket, and no one wants it bad enough to type out a few lines...

2. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Forget the email nonsense. Just spend a couple of hours on the phone with the "fleet managers" at 10-20 dealers, including some in fly-over states. Make sure they understand that you will be making your purchase decision promptly (eg, "within 48 hours").

3. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I used to work in sales, not car sales, but a salesguy is a salesguy. When you fill out any online form you are just put into their database as a new lead. They then will call you and try and close you. It is death to them if they just give you a price, because anywhere else you take it, they will figure out how to beat it. The best thing for you to do is to be honest about exactly what your situation is and what you want, and work them for the best deal from there. Don't get upset with them for not simply giving you a number, that would be stupid of them (especially if it was just sent through an e-mail), they are just doing their job becuase they know that if they give you a price and you don't buy then, it's about a 5% chance you ever call them back.

Good luck.

4. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    I tried internet quotes when I bought my new Ridgeline. I submitted information to about 10 dealers within 150 miles. About 5 actually sent me an "internet only special price". Every one of them was at least $1,000 over priced. I knew what they should be selling for, so I responded to three of them with firm reasonable offers, but every one of them refused. One even said they would be loosing money if they sold it to me at that price.

Just for the hell of it I stopped by one of the dealerships. I didn't tell them I had dealt with their internet department, but rather talked with a normal salesman. I had cash in hand (well, actually a check) and less than an hour later I was driving away at the price I had offered over the internet.

What I found out from that experience is that the internet quotes are a waste of time. I will never do that again.

5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I agree with you desmo!

In my business, if someone calls for a price quote - I ask for a fax or e-mail address to which I can send my bid. I then promptly and accurately come up with a price & send it out. If the customer likes the price, they make a purchase. If they don't like the price, I tell them politely to kindly take their business elsewhere & often supply contact info for competitors.

I'm in the same situation with a fairly esoteric bit of electronic equipment - need some repairs done & am interested in some updates. The US distributor of said piece took 3 e-mails to get to ANY description of what the upgrades entail & in 4 e-mails has yet to give any form of pricing. Will probably break out the 'scope, signal generator, & soldering station & just do the damned work myself!

Simple direct questions should be met with simple direct answers.

6. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    i sent you a PM