f430 coupe or a 360CS | FerrariChat

f430 coupe or a 360CS

Discussion in '360/430' started by porsche racer, Sep 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. porsche racer

porsche racer Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    I am sure this thread has been posted before: however, I am new here and wanted to get some insight comparing these two cars. Coming from a C4S and a GT3, I love the way CS looks and has the racing feel (I assume) , but on the other hand ,the f430 is more advanced, more power, but it feels like a everyday car (so I've heard). So:
    Q1) which would you choose and why?
    Q2) Should I wait one year and get a f430 or buy a CS now?

2. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Q1) Which P car did you enjoy the most. If you preferred the C4S then get a 430. If you liked the GT3 more then get a CS.

Q2) Cs's (in the UK) aren't depreciating yet so do both and sell the CS when 430 delivered

3. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    get the CS now then the 430 in a years time . if you don't get the CS , you will regret it as you will never know how good it is and how much better the 430 is to the CS

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Racing feel , Porsche racer ..all those hints make me think you want a CS .

5. porsche racer

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    i know, i love the cs and the way it looks but the power is too low compare to f430

6. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Huh? It's one thing to say that you're not sure if the power differential will be a factor, but it's another to say that the power is "too low". If you have a strong preference, why are you asking for opinions?

7. porsche racer

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    I never said power difference is not a factor. I said the money difference aside, which car would you choose. If you ask me C4s or Gt3? I would say GT3. If you ask me turbo or GT3 ? I would say GT3. If you ask me 360 or GT3 ? I would say GT3. GT3 is an uncomfortable car for everyday, but the driving experience is amazing ( raw power, amazing handling, steering responce, the big wing and so on...) and I can justify it. Now I decided to get a ferrari, but which one to get. the regular 360 is not exciting, but form what I read from you guys is that 360CS is awsome and then again, I read most of you trade your cars for a F430.
    That's why I am asking if somebody owned both cars and has a preference and why.

8. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I have owned a 360 and a CS and driven a 430.

The thing to note is that although there is greater power in a 430, the power to weight ratio there are exactly the same.

If you are going to use it for daily commutes on highways then sure, go for a 430 as at higher speed it will perform better. If you are nervous about the car's potential then again go for the 430 as the ediff will make you feel very sure footed.

However, if you are confident in yourself and are more interested in spirited driving of technical roads or tracks then the CS for you. The cornering is sharper, the cornering speeds higher and overall feeling is (IMHO) much better.

9. porsche racer

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    thanks Izza for the thread. Would you trade your CS for a F430?
    For me I would never go back to a turbo or a C4S. It is always going to be a GT3 (if I desire porsche). I guess the bottom line is I have to drive both the CS and F430 to pick one.

10. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    #10 Izza, Sep 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not a chance - I am waiting for a possible 430CS but with 2 young kids most of my fun is via track days and one off spirited drives. (Below is me leading out Massa on a track day in UK - must have shown him something new as he won the next grand prix!).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I havent driven a F430 but i dont see how it could be as exciting as a CS ( Heavier, softer and with more electronic nanies ..oh and quieter :) ) .
    Drive them both and pick the best CS you can find :D

12. pwongd

pwongd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    pwongd
    My brother owns a CS and is having a hell of a difficult time making a decision about trading her in for a 430. He is a performance and track day freak, and loves the GT3 as well.

I guess the question is whether or not you need to accommodate anybody else in your fun car. If yes, can he or she tolerate the rawness of the CS. If not, who cares. Go for the CS. I've tried both, very limited time in a 430 though, the CS will always give you the wider grin while entering and leaving a hairpin.

The 430 though will progably give you a wider grin around town if where you live doesn't have a lot of perfectly paved roads. And it also will be a better car for every day use.

13. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Most of the guys have hit the nail on the head - the CS is Ferrari's version of the GT3. You seem to like everything about the GT3 which tells me you are not all about the creature comforts, etc. You like to drive.

The power difference is insiginificant in the 430 unless you are stomping on the peddle at the light. It might have a slight edge. In every other situation the CS will be a better handling car. I have been on the track with my CS against a 430 and he was able to maintain his distance on the straights but in the corners there was no comparison (I'm sure the sticky Pirellis had alot to do with it as well). Nevertheless, the CS is a driver's car. The 430 is more luxurious, more comfortable, and a better everyday commuter (if that is what you plan to use it as).

In the end it comes down to your driving style and preference. Forget the power differential. It won't make a difference. If you like the looks of the CS, the rawness it offers, etc. then that is your logical choice.

14. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I will admit that the sound of the CS is incredibly intoxicating, but I don't think that I could live with the F1 transmission. It is neat and innovative but It would give me more satisfaction making the shift. Plus I wouldn't drive it much on a track at all. The F430 would be plenty for me on the track.

15. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    In addition to the insightful comments and advice offered thus far, I've come to learn three things owning my CS;

1) I've experienced absolutely no desire or pull to have a 430 -- if anything, I suppose I'd view getting a 430 as a move sideways, not a step up. Besides, and I've observe this, the 430 and CS are almost indistinguisable to most observers, except for those in the know and -- for those in the know -- the desire to check out the CS becomes major versus the far more frequent 430.

2) My initial concerns about ride comfort, interior noise (like chips hitting inside wheel wells, etc), quickly dissipated after a few long road trips. Aside from preferring a more visceral/raw experience, the ride is very comfortable on long distances, interior noise isn't so loud as to affect conversations, etc and the car is so firm and amazingly planted its a joy.

3) Like most ferrari owners, I have other transportation for the many mundane outings I must make -- kids, shopping, commuting/parking with the masses. On the mundane end of the continum of daily driving I'm not looking for a visceral, raw, exhilerating driving experience, I'm just doing what I have to, as if on prosac. But when I need that exhilerating driving experience to blow the cobwebs out of my brain and come back inspired and refreshed, that's when I want to go to the other end of the continuum -- in other words, I want my CS ride to be raw and extreme, not muted in any way.

16. porsche racer

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    Thanks guys for the threads.
    Jeffrey, you are right about me, I love to drive and eventhough I had the original porsche racing seats in my GT3, the back pain at the end the day was worth it. Sport cars are not everyday cars but it is that epinephrine rush, the enjoyment and the satisfaction I get from driving those cars. I think it is very theraputic for me. My wife hates it, but my little ones always had a blast hanging from the roll bars of my GT3 and me driving around the block.
    I am at the track once a month ( I know it's not much,but that's the permission given from the creatures on planet Venus, you know they call them wifes),and from what I gather from you, CS is thright choice for me .

17. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Good luck with getting car and as we say in UK, enough "pink passes" to enjoy it!!

18. porsche racer

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    Thanks Izza, I appriciate your comments and loved the picture. Although, I did not understand the "pink passes" thing. We'll chat more after I got my car.
    By the way "long live soccer"

19. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Definition:
    Pink Pass - (n) [pingk pas/pahs] slang reference to a time gap normally in excess of 3 years and less than 6 months* for which a gentleman has been given permission or license to go, come, or enter at will into frivolities with cars or other men (or both) by his wife or female partner.

Related words; freedom, drunk, bars, strippers, lap dancers, etc.

* In excess of 6 months normally refers to separation or divorce.

20. CrazyEnzo

CrazyEnzo Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2006
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    i would say, stay with something you won't lose much money on (the 430) and maybe get a 430 Cs when it comes out.

21. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    YES! Well put :) My little buggy is nowhere near the CS be this is exactly how I look at it as well. Except that maybe you can have a little fun in the daily driver too.

22. speedracer1610

speedracer1610 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2006
    nor cal
    Full Name:
    Craig D
    ILL TAKE THE 430 PLEASE.