Unimog vs Pinzgauer vs Volvo C303? | FerrariChat

Unimog vs Pinzgauer vs Volvo C303?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by KTG, Aug 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Thinking about some business promotion, something different and in a sense funny. Anyone have any hands on experience with any large ex-military trucks? The Unimog is big and strong, but expensive with a hardbox...The volvo is nice cause it comes with a hardtop/box only....The pinz comes with a hardtop or softtop. Anyone would be painted with our business name and a crazy paintjob. Anyone from Switzerland and driven one of these? :)

unimog:
    http://www.neurotica.com/content/albums/unimog/unimog-front.jpg
    pinzgauer:
    http://riekmann.prohosting.com/verkauf2/steyr-puch_pinzgauer_710m_1972_gruen_s_l.jpg
    Volvo C303 4wd and 6wd:
    http://alanauto.com/IM002134.JPG
    http://www.xtremevehicles.com/TGB13front.JPG

2. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    UNI-MOG all the way. MUCH better vehicle. Yes they are a bit more, being equal condition and all, but resale will be better when you go to sell also. See them in the desert once in awhile, always cool.

Darrell.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I always thought Pinzgauer's were cool, but in person they are surprisingly small. Unimogs, on the other hand, are huge. You could probably carry a Pinzgauer in a Unimog.

4. Ducky355

Ducky355 Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Oaks, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Awesome.

An alumni of Penn State has a vehicle similar to the Pinzgauer that he uses for tailgates. I saw him at almost ever game with it and a HUGE crowd of nosey people. (or maybe it was the free beer)

5. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Free beer works good on tailgaters!!!!

I do really like the Unimog....Such crazy offroad ability and size. I was worried about fuel mileage, but only the Volvo has over 100hp, and all do about 15mpg(from what I've researched).

6. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    You can find Unimogs with up to 180 hp i think.

The Pinz is quite fun because if i'm not wrong, it has 7 disc brakes (one after the gearbox).

However, my bet is the Unimog is by far the best on hard terrain.
    They can be used for anything, exploring remote terrain, moving 1000 of tons of railcars, removing snow, whatever.
    Actually, it is known that it just goes everywhere, to places where you couldn't go by foot.
    The G class (old one, not the GL) is second.

They lack the visual drama of a LM002 or a Hummer, but off road, you'd need a very special vehicle to top them.

7. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL

Yeah I was always impressed with the Unimog pulling trains. A friend of my brothers had one sitting unused in their backyard....The thing sunk like a foot into the ground.

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    there is a yellow Pinzgauer for sale in the parking lot of my office. frankly, i wasn't that familar with them. they are small, in fact they are about the size of a larger jacked up golf cart.

unimogs, on the other hand are fairly large.

9. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    I know of a Pinz for sale here in NorCal. If yer interested I call sen you a link.

They are cool. UBER tough and go anywhere.

10. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Pinzgauer. Best choice of the 3.

11. cab7104

cab7104 Karting

Mar 25, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Craig
    If you are looking for an unstoppable vehicle, I would go unimog, a buddy of mine had one that I have driven and it will go through anything. I have never ridden in a pinz, however, the soft top is a fun option for warm weather. I guess it depends what you want to do with it. If it needs to haul stuff, the unimog is a monster. If you are just crusing and promoting I think the pinz looks pretty cool.

Craig

12. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Thanks...It would probably be a promoting type vehical, but I'm sure after some harsh winter snow, I would be having some fun with it! Was the Unimog really loud?

13. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    If I'm not mistaken, I've seen some very awesome Volvo's with both four and six wheels outfitted for expeditions and they were quite impressive. I'd go with one of those simply because of the full hard shell and the fact that they are even less well known than the other two.

14. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Yeah, the hardshell is a huge plus! Besides I have a Volvo 850 already, I know they're though...

15. Mobius Entwine

Mobius Entwine Karting

Jun 9, 2005
    Roscoe, IL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My neighbor two doors away has a Unimog. It's painted red, and the plates are BIG ELMO. It's bigger than his garage. I should go over and talk to him about it. It is one of the stranger vehicles in town.

16. British Sea Power

Oct 19, 2005
    Bay Area CA
    I have been very impressed by the Unimogs I have seen competing in 4WD competitions in Europe but I always fancied an Alvis Stalwart myself. Cool looking vehicle and you can drive it on the lake :).

http://www.4wdonline.com/Mil/Alvis/Stalwart.html

17. W84ME

W84ME Karting

May 10, 2006
    Another thing to consider is that the Uni will only do 55-60mph (gear limited) and the Pinz will do closer to 65. If you ever drive on the freeway this may be something to consider.

I like the Uni.

18. birdy

birdy Rookie

May 24, 2007
    http://groups.msn.com/pinzgauerbirdy

Have a look some not very good picures due to driving rain /spray at windswept quarry my brother owns the 6wd and his brother in law the 4wd i hve been passenger in both and driven 6wd and believe me these vehicles will go places you could only dream of as the owner of a landrover.

Regards Birdy

19. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    If you don't mind re-righting the vehicle after rolling on the most moderate of side slopes...

Ask me how i know ;)

20. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    LMAO! :) Yeah, well, there is that... LOL.