Parking Tips | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Parking Tips

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by hanknum, Sep 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I used to try the two parking spot thing until my NSX was keyed for the third time. Strange, no one has ever keyed the 355 but the NSX seemed to bring it out in people.

Now I do just as Gwood355 stated. Look for nice safe parallel spot or a corner in a deck otherwise leave it at home. My favorite is a nice far away corner spot in a parking deck. Being in the corner allows me to park at an angle without taking up two spots and the potential damage that goes with it.

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The only way that you can take up two spaces without getting vandalized is to park at the far end of the lot and there had better be plenty of empty spaces closer to the destination.

John

3. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I usually park next to another expensive car- chances are they want to protect their car too. I also park near handicapped spots or no parking areas(far edge of my spot) they rarely get used.

4. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    don't be afraid to walk a bit and park how you like far away

avoid areas of high traffic such as a parking building by the stairwells

if you need to leave the car alone cover it with a big bulky cover, it takes time to lift a cover to vandalize the car vs someone casually walking by close to the car with a key in their hand plus they don't know if the cover will set the alarm off if trying to remove it, most punk theives or vandals are opportunity predators if it looks like an easy mark the more chance they'll do something

5. 2.7 Elisa

2.7 Elisa Rookie

Sep 10, 2006
    Park next to a lambo with scissor doors.

6. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    If you must park in a shopping mall parking lot, put a tipped over shopping cart in the space next to you.
    People are too lazy to get out and move it.

7. AML225

AML225 Karting

Jan 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA & CT
    Full Name:
    Andrew L.
    haha I like the park next to a lambo...

I always (mind you I don't own a Ferrari YET) try to park next to the most expensive/well maintained car I see. Be it a classic muscle car or a Mercedes Benz S-Class. If I have to park between two ****ty cars I tilt my nose towards the right of the space allowing more room for doors on either side of the car. (This only really works if the other cars are parked reasonably straight).

8. AML225

AML225 Karting

Jan 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA & CT
    Full Name:
    Andrew L.
    That's actually a really really good idea, kind of a jerk move if the place is really really crowded but very reasonable. If someone wants to park next to your baby they gotta earn it!

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yes, BUT try to avoid the slope. Even on the uphill side you have the problem of the door not staying open unless fully open... after the door shuts on their lead leg, they swing it out fully open.

If you must park on a slope, make sure the cars have shorter doors! But I'll even drive waayyy up a parking garage to ensure I'm not on a slope.

If you mean spots where you parallel park, the danger is that you trade door dings for major fender dents as morons back up too far or clip their right front on your left rear. Oh, too common.

Yes, definitely my favorite... but make sure you have room to maneuver or the spaces are nice and long on the other side of a corner... if its up against a wall or rail, and the spaces are fairly short, a dude in a pickup truck or other long vehicle can end up locking you into that spot.

In a parking garage, also look for those big columns between spaces... and remember that people will rarely pull in with their right side close to the column... so, if you angle in close to the left side of a space on the right side of a column, you'll usually end up with plenty of space to your left (because they won't drive their right side close to that column).

Brian

10. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    I've noticed that every nice car around here parks as far away as possible from the other cars. First I thought it was just so that people could see it since it stands out, but I guess it's also for reasons discussed in this thread

11. chitown dave

chitown dave Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2005
    well...Chicago
    Full Name:
    well...Dave
    No Minivans!

They actually have bigger doors than many SUVs and of course imply kids that can drool, spill, scratch ect. on your car.

12. rabenoja

rabenoja Karting

Aug 6, 2006
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Romeo
    I try and stay away from the expensive cars, especially SUV's. The average benz/bimmer/etc are the ones creating all the door dings around here. It seems like they have the money to afford the "expensive" car and don't care too much about other people's cars.

I always try to get the end spot. Otherwise, I just park as far as I can and walk.

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Here, this would be asking for vandalism.

Someone mentioned parking next to a handicap. I ususally try this but in the odd chance a handicap does park there this increases the risk of a ding substantially.

14. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    Good points; the one above is a toss-up for me though:

There might not be a passenger but the driver knows his door better than a passenger. I think that if there is a passenger, the propensity for an inadvertent door swing would be significantly increased. How many times have you opened the passenger side of a car and was surprised by either the weight of the door, the location of the door handle or the way the door opened out?

Also, with regard to parking next to a 4 door or a 2 door car. The 4 door car doors may be shorter, but there's also a good chance that the rear doors contain excited kids ready to rush out. Therefore, I'd prefer parking next to a 2 door car before a 4 door car.

15. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Thats what I do.

16. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    ABSOLUTELY, my recently departed Audi Convertible was a 2 door, the doors swung out completely to a 90 degree angle, with both doors open, it was as wide as it was long.

As already mentioned, that actually seems like a good idea as long as its not a crowded lot. If someone saw you and it was crowded, they might get mad/jealous and do the key or bump/dent thing.

James in Denver

17. Tim the Stick

Tim the Stick Rookie

Mar 3, 2005
    Taylor, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim Wakeling
    Old del Sol trick. When I would go out in the Sol, I'd usualy have another tag along Sol with me. Since mine was Right Hand Srive, and the other was usualy Left Hand Drive, we'd park mirror to mirror on the line with both our passengers doors to each other. This meant since a Sol can basicly fit in the back of most pick-up trucks, that's we'd have about 1/2 a spot on either side of us, and still only be taking up 2 spaces.

As for the F-car, to be honest, it hasn't had an engine in it since I've had it. So parking isn't an issue. For those that have door ding issues, I can't suggest more: Take the engine out. I GUARANTEE you'll stop getting door dings.

Stick

18. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    We are very lucky here. With a popualtion of around 20,000 people, everyone is laid back and there isnt much vandalism that goes on. Everyone here loves my 348, so I dont really see anyone damaging the car. :)

19. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Don't park behind a truck that has a trailer hitch.

Also the two door cars have heavier doors. I've seen old people unlatch their door, open it about 1/4 of the way, then put their foot on the bottom interior part, lean back and push it open. Any car next to it will get a ding. Best thing to do is park far away.

I think most people who ding doors also don't like to walk.