After researching the 355...who decided NOT to buy? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

After researching the 355...who decided NOT to buy?

Discussion in '348/355' started by allen_993, Sep 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia

is that a typo ? Sorry to hear though ...

2. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Oh man, after the mechanics weigh in I am confused again...

:)

3. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I have no regrets. Other mechanics with a lot of experience have less negative things to say. I am not doubting that there have been problems, but there seem to be plenty without issues. So far (almost 5k miles by me) my car is very clean. If I do have problems, I plan on just taking it wiith a grin. This thing is so much fun, I feel like it shouldn't be legal.

4. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    IMO if a $15000 repair is going to break the bank then a Ferrari should not be considered, each one of my Ferraris I have put $1000s in to make perfect concerning cosmetics and aftermarket upgrades.

You can get a lemon with any Ferrari, PeterS posted a thread on total repair bills for his 348 and it was over $40000, another TR owner just spent $30k on a blown diff the same with a Boxer owner and another Bb owner spent $20000+ on a busted valve, Ferraris are big boys cars if something happens thats the way it goes and risks we take driving them.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I researched them last year and decided not to buy -- which is, I think, what you were asking about.

The potential issues list is long, and whether your manifold cracks, power top fails or etc., the point is that the 355 is associated with many expensive problems, whether an individual car has them or not. Aesthetics are obviously up to you; I liked the 308/328 slightly more than the 355 just because they're a bit lower and more iconic, but the 355 is a gorgeous car in its own right.

I had a Porsche 993, and it's a great Porsche. But the driving experience in an exotic, and the shock and awe effect, are night and day. The Porsche reminded me that I had done well after college; the Ferrari makes me feel like Steve McQueen. And, the big plus, you don't see six other people driving 328s every day. (Or every year.)

It sounds like you made the right call on not buying a 355, because as others have said you wouldn't have been happy with the next $8K shop bill. If you like modern cars, the 360 could be a better move, and prices are falling somewhat. Again, as someone else posted, you're either driving an exotic or you're not. I predict you'll dump the 993 and get a 360 at some point. There's a red 360 Spider not far from where I live. It's sin on wheels.

The reason so few people own Ferraris or other exotics, though, comes down to writing those big checks. I did a $4K major and some other service to my car in January, and I'm under no delusions that the car is worth another $4K because of it. But I get a lump in my throat every time I slide behind that Momo wheel, slip the gated shifter into gear and feel the raw rumble behind me. Then all the financial stuff seems like a silly afterthought.

True. And also if the fear of a $15K bill someday is going to wreck your enjoyment, then a Ferrari is a bad idea.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Exactly my point.

But also many more could handle it if everybody would just stop denying it is a real possibility.

7. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    No one is denying that SOME 355s can have problems. I think that alot of the responces on this thread was becourse of all the lovers of giving doom and gloom news, your self included. Any one just reading the doom and gloom would think that all 355s were the same and there not. So some of us are just saying that they are all not the same.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I spend more time here defending the cars and the way they are built and what it takes to maintain them than most. And that includes many of the so called experts. You CHOOSE to focus only on the things you take offense to. That is your problem , not mine. I only want them to be accurately represented to prospective buyers. I have been in this business a long time and as much as I love the cars I am very tired of newcomers to the make going away in disgust never to own one again because all their input is from people like you wearing rose colored glasses or the gentleman I responded to originally who made a sweeping statement of their durability after an ownership experience of 5 thousand miles.

It is you that are performing the disservice, not me.

9. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Yea yea lol!

10. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Funny to read most of the posts here.

Fact is:

1. 355 HAVE valve guide issues. You may not have had them yet but likely you will if the car is 1998 or older.

2. 355 HAVE header issues. I had to replace 3 while cars were in my care. One is sitting on the lift right now with a blown header.

3. 355 Spiders HAVE issues with seat potentiometers.

4. 355 interiors DO melt.

Most of these items come at a great cost. Despite that the 355 is highly regarded as one of the "best" Ferraris to own.
    My advise is, look at a 348 as an alternative. While a 355 can potenially cost you $20,000 in the above fixes, the 348 has a bad reputation for ECUs going bad ($2600) and also the same melting interior. Spiders have a manual top that is being operated faster by hand than the 355's electrical (if it is working that day), most body parts are exchangable with the 355 and the headers will not crack. Your potenial out of pocket expense is $5000 vs $20,000 while saving $25000 in initial purchase.

So much for the 348s being such "bad" cars. :)

11. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    oh and....a Porsche can never be a substitute for any Ferrari. Not even a 308. Those that have driven a Ferrari will know that. It can beat you in all kinds of comparison test and this blah and that blah but it will never purr like a Ferrari and never give you that "feeling" of a temperamental Italian woman :)

As they say: Once you go Red you never go back!

12. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    No typo unfortunately :(. My actual bills came to about £30,000+ over three years. Which with the current exchange rate is about $55,000. NO exaggeration fellas. Divide that by 3 years of ownership, around $18,000 per year actually.

Two suspension actuators failed in three years (yellow suspension light), ive never seen a part sooo small cost so much. $750 dollars for a small cog 5mm in diameter. Both radiators developer leaks. Both Cats became dust, both manifolds shot. Valve guides. Clutch release bearing, slave cylinder. Air con bust. Sticky throttle, rattley bypass valve, engine mounts, engine cover struts, coolant leaks, zorst thermocouples and sensors, mass airflow sensor, oil pressure sender, air bag recovered, bubble centre console, squeeky brakes, the list goes on and on. All in just over 20,000 miles.

Amazingly I had no real major problems with the electric roof - like so many other people do. ;) ;)

BUT... DESPITE ALL THIS. I LOVE the 355 and would buy another one in a heart beat. :)

13. marcolino

marcolino Rookie

Sep 12, 2006
    Sorry guys if I ask......

... I have read some of you saying that 348 is less problematic (or better, less expensive in case of failure) of a 355.

I am currently balancing between a 348 and a 355; I like both, and I know that 35 is much better in term of handling and performance, but I would be very scared of paying 15.000 $ for a major failure!

According to your experience, how much should I take into account annually for:
    1) a standard maintenance of the 2 models
    2) in case of common major issues?

Thank you very much for your help.

Marcolino

14. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    A 348 typically will be cheaper to maintain than a 355.

15. jcramair1

jcramair1 Rookie

Dec 12, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    Personally I have had no issues with my 95 F355, allthough I've only owned it for 2 month's. I made sure that I bought a car with all service records and from an authorized dealership (Ferrari Central FL). Even if I run into issues I was prepared for it before I bought the car. The sound of my car and the looks and compliments alone are worth every penny. My previous car was a 2002 Porsche 996 TT and had everything under the sun done to it and it still didn't make me smile as much as the 355.

JC

16. Vinmar9

Vinmar9 Rookie

Sep 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Vincent Marino
    If you buy a F355 which has had a valve job, the cats and exhasut etc....replaced by better aftermaket parts are you likely to see these problems again? Basically if a PO has addressed most or all of the 355 weakness's and the car has been sorted out do you think these problems will still arise again

17. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    Suspension actuator cogs can now be bought for a few $
    Shock absorbers - I found a brand new one for $180, rebuilds about $300
    Metal sill covers, powder coated - $190 a pair
    Rear silencers, plenty 2nd user perfect condition, got one for $80
    Cats - just replaced mine with better than OEM for $1300 including fitting
    Manifolds - $4000 one off payment (parts)
    Engine cover struts $50 max
    Mine wouldn't start the other day, fix cost $8 - damn Ferrari prices! :)

Bubbled centre console - caused by cleaning solutions containing silicone, use water.

Rusty C-pillars - I believe this isn't exactly a rust issue. Its caused by the method used by Ferrari to attach the rear wing to the C-pillar. This point of the car flexes when cornering hard and causes the paint to lift at that point and eventially crack. Moisture then enters the crack creating light surface rust which bubbles the paint. A good paintshop can easily tidy this up, and a really good bodyshop can probably fix it for good by creating a better join and using more elastic primers/undercoats etc - correct me if i'm wrong.

The simple rule is if it breaks fix it, if you run out of $$$ scrap it - its only money and if thats a worry then a Ferrari isn't for you.

18. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    That is exactly what happened to me :) ! I had a 993TT with lots of upgrades and it was not the smile factory that my F355 is! The F355 is just more racecar-like than my p-cars!

That is how I see it...there is nothing on the car that can't be fixed. If one is resourceful/mechanical in can even be done quite economically :) !

19. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    What makes me nervous about the F355 is that there seem to be some glaring problems that would hinder my use of the car:

1.) Certain quality problems that would drive me up the wall....the shrinking dash, peeling parts around the climate controls, and generally poor build quality (my personal opinion....your mileage may vary).

2.) While I know the cars are more expensive to maintain, it is the degree of service that causes a pause. Pulling engines for the services, and having to pay $8,000 to have a major service done is not my idea of a good time since the car would be a regularly driven car.

3.) I had read of several accounts of the cars catching fire. Something regarding the location of the fuel filler area and the heat involved. No matter how much I like a car, the idea of it burning to the ground does not seem entertaining.

4.) The 360 Modena. Seems to be a much better option for an almost daily driver in terms of overall reliability and ease of service.

The conflict becomes that I absolutely love the looks and sound of the F355. I cannot get over how hooked I am on how that car sounds when running it to redline. Pure music with good looks to match. Oh the humanity!! :D

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Any of the cars, ANY with a leather dash will have the shrinkage problems if the car is parked in the sun without some ventillation provided and the windshield not covered. It has been a problem since the Boxers first went to a leather dash. 360's are now experiencing the same problem. All the cars with leather dashes will if those precautions are not taken. I warn people of it all the time but there is a surprising amount of resistance to it because it does not look good to park your car with the windshield cover in place.

The dash in my 90 TR is perfect because it is never parked outdoors without the windshield cover in place.

21. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Yup! Just keep the dash covered in the sun, it will last a long time that way. I like to use UV protection lotions on it too, they help. The fact that my 355 comes out mostly at night helps too ;) .

22. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Well that is good to know that there may be an avenue to prevent it. I drove an F355 earlier in the year and was stunned that at 18,000 miles the interior was so peeled and rough looking. I have seen others with equally low mileage looking that way and it really got me nervous. I am pretty O.C.D. about my cars so I would be spending a fortune on replacement dashes and climate controls.

23. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Absolutely. I keep a windshield cover in the car and I don't leave it sitting out all day in the sun. I keep the leather treated and mine looks absolutely perfect (Of course, it looked good when I got it, so I can't take the credit).

You know, if you buy a good car and take care of it, it should really do well. Could you have problems? Sure. I don't doubt any of the things that rifledriver and others have said. Will you have this entire list of issues? I guess it's possible (and you should be prepared), but it's doubtful.

You can buy a Honda and drive it for years and park it outside and never wash it, and it will keep going. I am shocked at how good our minivan looks at 90k miles with the treatment it has had. But you don't buy a Ferrari and treat it like a minivan. I treat it like a rolling piece of art. I keep a log of what I have done to it. I keep the leather happy. I keep it clean. I don't hammer it until it's warm. I don't shut it off until I have cooled it off. And I never start it unless I can drive it until it's really warmed up, and I like to be sure the motor gets a workout. That's what the car was designed to do. I don't think any of the engineers were thinking "well this hose needs to last for 2 years outside in Arizona without the car ever being started." They designed it to be driven. And I have also tried to learn about it's potential problems so I can watch for them and deal with them if they come up. I think it makes me feel more in tune with the car, and it only enhances my experience. Which, by the way, is well worth the price.

To me, it's all worth while. But if you will be constantly worried about you wallet, then your experience may not be so good, even if the car does fine. This is all for fun you know? What's fun to you?

24. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    See, that is where I am coming from. I have a couple of NSX's and they are super reliable cars, and I would use the F355 equally regularly and for mundane jobs as well as fun.

25. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    I don't get it.
    I have a 1993 448 which has about the same body, right ?
    I have the original paint and 45000km AND you may consider that I live in a far more "wet" country: The Netherlands.
    Never seen anything like you discribe. A 355 is an awesome car and I only hear from the dealer to stay away from the F1 ones.
    The exhaust manifolds is a known issue here though.