[PICS]Americana Manhasset Concours d'Elegance | Page 2 | FerrariChat

[PICS]Americana Manhasset Concours d'Elegance

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by C6DVL, Oct 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Amazing pics - thanks!

2. TMINUS

TMINUS Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    TMINUS
    I must disagree with you Ed.. The Spyker is a little to 'blingy' for me, and there is just no comparison to a supercar (McLaren F1) that can reach a proven 246mph top speed.

3. C6DVL

C6DVL Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2005
    Queens, NY
    Full Name:
    Ed K
    damm 246 mph, Spyker is big time bling, the details on that car is amazing, like the top of the windshield, no frame.

4. TMINUS

TMINUS Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    TMINUS
    Yea the McLaren is just an exceptional vehicle when it comes to raw speed and performance. As for the Spyker's frameless-top windshield, I wonder what the DOT says about rollover protection from broken shards of flying glass... LOL.

5. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    What are you talking about?

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    The black car is a 360 Modena that the owner has modified his own way.

7. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

The Spyker is a cool and unusual car, but no way you can compare it to the Mac F1. That car has been the supercar benchmark for the past decade.

BTW - very nice meeting you today.

8. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    i am not a fan of aston's..but that concept 4-dr will slay the quattroporte

at least in terms of interior design.

we all know the maser has a better sounding engine ;)

and whos yellow mc is that?

9. Ferrarispeed28

Ferrarispeed28 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    NY/AZ
    Full Name:
    Evan
  10. yetis

yetis Rookie

Nov 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    interesting, looks like a heavy use track car, is it? I have always thought that spending the difference between a 360 and a CS on track and performance gear would make the 360 a decent if not better/lower operating cost track car.

Any, back on subject, I thought the show was a little disappointing. The term Concours d'Elegance was a little off, as other "Concours d'Elegance" typically have more history. I like modern Ferraris but I can go to the Americana any weekend and see a 360/420/550 and even an Enzo... without the satin rope. Where were the classics, the beautiful old cars that put Ferrari and others on the map?

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    yetis - no, but I believe he drives it quite hard on the road and likes the "battle scars."

As for the concours - I agree. I didn't attend and now I'm not too upset that I didn't. I love the rare old cars and they are what interest me. Today's supercars are a dime a dozen, figuratively speaking.

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  13. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Agreed, I love the older cars too. The Bentlys & Rolls & old Astons & Austins were just class.
    But after adjusting for inflation, the price of the new exotics is more like a dime x 10^5 a dozen.

14. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Here's a funny anecdote:
    As I'm walking down the parking lot for the 20th time, I overhear 2 people remarking on the flat black 360. They are some distance away and one says to the other, "look, it also has 'Ferrari' etched into the front bumper." They move closer and then one says "Wait; that doesn't say Ferrari...." They move closer, bend over a bit, and in unison say "...Fwerrf? What's Fwerrf?"

Also:
    "Hey, look! A Red 360!"

The AM Vantage Volante that won the 74-90 class was very clean. I was a tad disappointed because there were 3 or 4 Vantages but I have no idea how the cross-marque judging works. It is likely that the winning A/M Volante was also completely original, unmolested, and had a better interior or no dings (I have both in very small quantities).

15. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Pisse I missed this one!

16. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    I would disagree. There were a few very nice vintage Ferraris at the event: a very nicely restored fly yellow Daytona; a black Daytona; a very original 275 4-cam; two Dinos and a fairly original 330 GT 2+2. A beautiful Miura, too. However, kudos really belong to the Aston Martin owners. TWO! Aston Martin DB3s! FOUR! Aston Martin DB5 Coupes/Volantes, Aston Martin Rapide, etc. Volume of cars was rather impressive, too.

17. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    sounds great. As I say, I wasn't there. Sorry I missed the GTB/4, it's one of my favorite cars ever made.

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great Vintage RR's also. If Car and Driver is to be believed there was also a car on display that will be on the lawn at Pebble one fine day in the future...

19. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    1952 Silver Dawn

20. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Was nice to see you yesterday J, however brief it was. The vintage Astons really took my breathe away.

21. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Yea man, there were a good amount of immaculate classics there as well. And some of the Ston Racecar's were at Limerock when i went for the Viper/Limerock track day, those car's are awesome!

BTW anyone have the list of who won???

22. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Your Turbo was entered right? I only walked around for a bit and took a quick glimpse before I had to be on my way, I did notice your car though, very clean and gorgeous :)

23. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I also loved Laurie's Pink Lamborghini Espada. The fact that she bought it new like that in winter 1973 is epic!

24. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great car but she repainted it from original green and re did interior as well about 15 years ago.

25. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    ah, those little details she didn't tell us :)