What If...you were in MSC's / Ferrari's Position? | FerrariChat

What If...you were in MSC's / Ferrari's Position?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Astrand, Oct 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Astrand

Astrand Rookie

Oct 11, 2006
    Well Im pretty sure everyone has though of what they would do right now to win either the WDC or the WCC or both in the situation MSC and Ferrari are in right now. Everyone has different views and different opinions I would like to see some of them. As for me this is what I would do:

We all know how FA is a temperamental guy, well the trick is to use that in your favor. If I was in Ferrari's position obviously the best you can do is give both your drivers the best possible car for the race, the fastest out of all the bunch, and of course, better than Renaults. Now, Renault will be fighting for WCC as well, so they should be aiming for the top spots as well. What I would do is have MSC behind alonso (presumably fighting for first place), all the time, and when there is a chance, pass FA for first place, then let him go by again, and make this process over and over again. This may get into FA's mind (im pretty sure he would not be too happy of that) and make him make a mistake, this way MSC wins the championship on the track. Either way it will show MSC great driving, entretain the spectators and he might even enjoy himself. If alonso is in a low position MSC must go for the win and Mass will have his first real test passing alonso. It might sound silly, but again its just my opinion, want to know what you guys would do.

Astrand

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Welcome to the board.

just a thing, FA is no easy man to pass. he's no Jenson Button.

3. Astrand

Astrand Rookie

Oct 11, 2006
    I never said it would be easy, thats why the car must be perfect and MSC must drive exceptionally well, perhaps like he has never driven before. And either way if MSC can pull this off, it would certainly be remembered for a long long time. Just a though, they could try to go for the 1 - 2 right from the beginning and secure WCC anyways.

Astrand

4. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    it won;t be easy true. but then, FA normally pushes himself into making mistakes. Japan last week was a perfect example. he outbraked himself a couple of times. i don't think he needs MS to lead him into a mistake.

5. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia
    alonso just needs to circulate and win his Championship.

its someone trying something crazy on him , that alonso needs to
    be worried about. Ie , like being intentionally run off the road.

6. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    If it were so simple for MS and FA to change places for the lead on track i'd be dissapointed that it didn't happen more often throughout the entire season.

Honestly there's only a few ways that MS can win the title, either someone is going to be an idiot and try and run FA off the road, He'll crack under the pressure from Ferrari and not finish in 8th or higher (yea right) or his Renault will give him a surprise blow like Michael's Ferrari last weekend which will lead to a slew of badmouthing of his ex-team.

7. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Just remember - MS needs to WIN (finish) for anything else to happen.

It's kinda late in his career to change his driving tactics - to try and force the reigning world champion into a mistake.
    I'm absolutely sure Flavio has put in a 3rd place motor and told him to motor around and get somewhere between 3rd and 6th.

8. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Honestly, i could see Massa taking FA out for the sake of MS and the WDC.
    That "anything to help Michael with the championship" quote comes to mind...

Now, not saying i would condone this.....but it wouldn't surprise me.

9. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    I would not be surprised if they (at Ferrari) joked about it. But I would be very surprised if that happened. I think MS was being honest when he said he would not want to win that way. I personally am hoping Sato takes FA out by accident . For that to happen FA needs to be at the back of the grid :D

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    German newspapers are speculating about it:

If MS does another Damon Hill/JV on FA, then he'll risk to get stranded himself. So that doesn't really work since he has to win.

If Massa tries to run into FA, Ferrari risks loosing the constructors title to Renault.

The newspaper went on to speculate about Ralf being used as a weapon to take out FA, but I doubt that the brotherly love goes that far.

What nobody talks about: The Red Bulls. There is no love lost between DC and MS, so I don't think Dave will do the dirty deed, but what about Dornboos? He still probably harbors some dark thoughts. Should be interesting.

11. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    You are right! I forgot about Dornboos. Any one that takes FA out will be in the spot light next year. It could make for an interesting story line through out the 2007.

12. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    good points Andreas. i doubt about that ralf thing tho. he publicly said he's not on good terms with Michael. but then...dornboos and FA. hehe...after all, Dornboos is w/out a ride next season. well, virtually he is, pending on the new testing rules.

lets not forget that BS will monopolise the industry next season. so, a 3rd driver is rarely needed. plus, he has a very strong history with FA. i'm keeping my fingers crossed. :D oh yea.. we also have good 'ol Sato :D

13. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I would race a good race and what happens happens.

Anyone "taking out" Fernando would be stupid.

It would have been great to see MS make an amazing come-back this year for the WDC but he had some bum luck in Japan.... so what, it's a freekin race/sport.... MS will be just fine.

I am actually really looking forward to next years F1 season, with everything new and the top drivers changed around it should really be exciting to watch.

14. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    Most likely scenario... MS runs 2nd to Felipe early going, as they assess reliability of Renault. If Fernando drops out, then Felipe will have some sort of "problem", allowing MS to win it all. As long as Fernando is in the points, it will be a Ferrari 1-2, w/ Felipe getting the win in front of his home fans and carrying mojo into 2007 (not what Kimi wants to see though).

Cheers

15. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Ferrari 1 - 2!

The rest will be left to Renault and Alonso!

16. GERRA456gt

GERRA456gt Formula 3

Jun 4, 2005
    Australia, Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    lets just hope so ;)

17. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    You're absolutely right--that is silly. I follow your logic for winning a championship right up until the part about letting your competitor pass you. Don't forget that, in order to take the Driver's Championship, Michael needs to win and have Alonso post a goose egg. So playing "Tag, you're it!" all race long will only hand the titles to Alonso and Renault.

18. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I would agree with you on the logic of this type of action/instruction by Flavio, but key is will emotional Alonso follow instructions from his soon to be ex boss?

I think you will see a very clean race on the part of Ferrari. They may follow through on their response to Renault as to "blocking", but I do not see any intentional actions to wreck anybody.

Interesting thought about Dornboos, but his position/reputation in F1 long term is probably more important to him than an Alonso payback.

An anti-climatic race.

19. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Our best chance... 2 words:

SA-TO

20. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    :D

21. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    First off all, I think taking out anybody is underhanded and dumb. When Senna took out Prost in 1990, it was stupid. Samething when MS did what he did to Damon Hill and later tried the stunt on JV, another bad move. You think Jim Clark or Juan Manuel Fangio would ever try a stunt like that?

The championship wasn't lost at Japan, it was lost during the course of the season. If Alonso were to go out, I hope it is by mechanical failure and not some idiot running into him.

I hope MS wins the race and Massa follows him home, I just don't want to see the championship decided by taking out your rival. Ferrari still has a great opportunity to take the Constructors and I hope MS wins to close out his career with a win, but not at the expense of taking out a rival.

22. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    It looks like MS winning the WDC is a very low probability scenario. I think the best that Michael can do is close out his brilliant career with a win.

On the constructor's side it is difficult as well, we need a Ferrari 1-2 and Renault to finish no better than 4th and 6th. I think Alonso is going to haulhimself into the podium anyway so this scenario looks doubtful.

23. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Aha!! I've got it.

Renault tells FA to "lay back" and just get his one point.

Alonso tools around in 5th beind Fisi in 4th.
    (Schumi, Massa, Button, Fisi, FA)

He gets bored and starts to think about his parc ferme kung-fooey hustle carnival dance.

He gets brain fade and whacks into the back of Fisi.

Game, set, match. Ta-da!

:D

Except that Renault *must* get on the podium if Ferrari pull a 1-2. If Ferrari garners 18 points, Renault finishing 4th and 5th would net 9 points, the constructor points would tie at 204 each, and it would go by 9 red wins to 8 blues. Renault will likely care more about that than the #1 that FA would take to McLaren anyway.

Renault might actually prefer to keep Alonso in 4th behind Fisi, holding off Button and Kubica.
    Nope: Never mind. If FA finishes 2nd, Fisi doesn't need any points at all to wrap up the WCC.

24. Astrand

Astrand Rookie

Oct 11, 2006
    Don't think anyone hill hit FA, I think all drivers will be very very very carefull of that, specially backmarkers. Unless something weird happens (albers back end going apart again in front of a car) don't think there will be someone taking out FA; even though interlagos has a very tight first corner to the left. My best guess is a Ferrari 1 - 2 Hoping another car other than renault can get in the podum. If another car is going faster than them besides ferrari, maybe they will push harder than we think, but either way I think fisichella will be the one with the heavy load.

Astrand

25. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    One thing I would not do for sure if I was in MS place is to cheat on my wife. If she took half, I would end up talking to myself and hanging out with Paul McCartney.