Advice Please: 308 master cylinder/booster problem.. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Advice Please: 308 master cylinder/booster problem..

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by greg328, Sep 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Greg - forgive this likely silly thought, but could the bubbles that you are seeing represent cavitation at the exit of the bleed nipple? Perhaps the fluid is flowing quickly enough that you are seeing turbulence and possibly cavitation. I know the physics of this is complex, and is dependent on the air dissolved in the fluid, but maybe you are interpreting air in the system as turbulence at the bleed tube - bleed nipple interface.

On the other hand, your pedal still goes to the floor, so it does sound like air. Scratch the above thought.

Jim S.

2. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Jim,
    Exactly--I thought about this, but that wouldn't account for the pedal bottoming out.

Gotta be air somewhere.

Wish I had more time to work on my passion--work has kept me busy the past couple days. I'll resume tomorrow and post findings!

We'll get to the bottom of this together!

As usual, thanks for the thoughts. Always appreciated.

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    OK, somebody explain THIS to me:

Again, I tested my new MC using 2 short brake pipes w/ clear tubes, dumping into a jar. Let it ran under MOTIVE and pedal pressure for 5-10 minutes. Again, no bubbles, not a one. This MUST mean that the MC is NOT the source of bubbles.....

So, I attached a longer brake pipe directly from the front line outlet on the MC to the left front Goodrich SS line at the bracket. This in effect bypasses 2 lines--from MC to junction block, and from junction block to the Goodrich SS line.

Guess what? Same symptoms re-appear!!! Endless bubbles!!

What the heck?

I can ONLY conclude that the caliper or SS line is somehow at fault. My little experiment proved that the 2 bypassed lines and junction block aren't to blame..

Seems impossible that all this air is coming from the caliper. Can't be that much volume in there. It's non-stop.

Brake pedal still bottoms out when I attach MC to caliper, does NOT when I
    use the 2 short pipes, plugged.

Anybody care to take a guess? At least I'm narrowing the possibilities..

Thanks,
    Greg

4. msouza

msouza Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Milton Souza
    #104 msouza, Oct 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Greg,

Did you bench primed the MC as we discussed?

Did you set it up like in the picture attached? And them moved the MC piston until all air gone? Was the MC level when you did this?

Milton
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Milton,
    I didn't need to. I tested it as described above. (posts #81, 103). There is no air in the MC.

I'm sure of it.

The problem lies downstream.

I'm going to back bleed from the calipers tomorrow and see if I have bubbles in the other direction..

Readers: please don't miss post # 103....

Thanks,
    Greg

6. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    You said no bubbles from the MC. Suspect either the brake line or the caliper to line connection or the caliper itself.

7. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yep, those are the only possibilities left.

The connections are very tight, and they were functioning fine before I got into this. Of course, I've checked them 1000 times, and they are dry and tight.

Must be a massive air bubble in the caliper(s). I'm going to back bleed today and see what happens. When I first installed the new dry MC it must have pumped a massive air bubble down the line and it (they) lodged in the
    caliper(s).

Thanks,
    Greg

8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    OK, I back bled one caliper, and it seemed to help, but not sure. I also wrapped all bleed screws in Teflon tape. That might be what stopped the bubbles. After this I was able to get all bubbles out of the system. I went around the car 5X to make sure.

BUT, the brake pedal was still long. All the way to the floor in fact.

I lowered the car, backed up and dowm my driveway, and there are almost no brakes.

At this point I have to conclude that the MC must have the wrong piston depth, or whatever you call it. Can't figure out why this would be, because all air is out. I used both the MOTIVE and my neighbor pressing on the pedal.

I'm going to re-install (again) the OEM MC and see what happens.

Any ideas?

Greg

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Is the MC actuating rod adjustable, at the point it meets the pedal shank?

10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Uh, not sure. The booster rod telescopes out, into the MC piston.
    That rod cannot be adjusted, I don't think, can it?

The MC piston itself doesn't seem to be adjustable. How do you tell?

This would explain my problem, wouldn't it? Not enough piston movement?

The brake pedal bottoms out and barely stops the car. I wouldn't dare drive over 20MPH...

???

Greg

11. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia
    if you can floor the brake pedal , this would not be an issue.

12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Because the booster rod is fully-extended?

What if the MC piston needs to be adjusted to properly interface w/ the booster rod? Is this even possible?

I'm just exploring all possibilities...

Thanks,
    Greg

13. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia
    your brakes are dual circuit , right ?

the circuits are diagonal ?

you could try to bung the relevant output from the master cylinder to try
    to eliminate which circuit and also you could try to bung the feed to the
    rear brake proportioning valve to eliminate that as well.

14. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Well, the MC has two outlets, front and rear. Single master cylinder for both front and rear.

Both lines feed into a junction block, and split off from there. The front line splits into 2, lines, and go directly to the calipers, and the rear line splits into the proporioning valve, then heads rearward, where it meets a T-block and splits to each rear wheel.

One reservoir, w/ one fluid compartment.

So, you suggest plugging one or the other MC line outlet to see if my pedal won't bottom out?

I have a short metric-thread brake pipe I've been using to test the MC, but it's open on both ends. I've tried to find closed fittings to plug it, can't find any. Does anybody know the thread pitch? Maybe I can find a bolt to match.

Also, can somebody PLEASE explain the interaction between booster and master cylinder to me?

Seems straightforward enough--pedal actuates booster, which in turn extends a telescoping rod to act upon the MS piston. The booster rod IS supposed to telescope in and out, right?

Thanks for hanging in there, guys,
    Greg

15. andyc

andyc Rookie

Feb 26, 2005
    Can you take some pics of each caliper mounted on the car and post them.
    The reason I ask is that I have seen some calipers from wilwood that have the feed line going into the top and thus the highest point and the bleeder at the bottom the lowest point and there is no way you will get the air out unless you demount the caliper and hold it so the bleeder is at the highest point... the point being is that the bleeder has to be at the highest point on the caliper when bleeding after its bled mount the caliper any way you like. I don't know if this is your situation but it could be.
    AndyC

16. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Greg I hate to say it but you have been stareing at this for to long and I think you need another set of eyes to look at the problem. There is something basic here that is the problem and maybe there are some assumptions that you are overlooking. You mentioned that you put the OEM MC back on and had the same problem but did you also put the OEM calipers back on. Also you mentioned that the OEM system work fine so can you get it back to that point and then start replacing 1 part at a time. Like replace 1 caliper and bleed it to make sure it is good then do the 2nd and so on. I keep thinking this is a simple problem we are all overlooking but not being in the same room as the car it is difficult to see what you've gone through. just my thoughts

17. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This reminds me of my old 70' Corvette. They are the 4 piston caliper type and were nearly impossible to get the air out after a rebuild. I ended up taking the car to the dealer and they put me in the car with the car on the lift and proceeded to have me press on the pedal (to test it after they pressure bled it several times without any luck), then they had an old timer come over, he brought a rubber mallot and pounded on each caliper several times as they pressure bled each caliper, that did it !!! The shock from the mallot was enough to get the air out. It's worth a try, you've tried everything else.

18. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thats exactly right mate. :) Its as simple as that. :)

19. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Andy,
    The Wilwoods do indeed have the bleed screw at the top.

Steve,
    You're right, I'm about to go blind from this!! I know for a fact that my Wilwoods are fine. No need to yank them off--they worked fine before.
    They are air-free and full of fluid.

Spiderseeker,
    Yep, I've knocked the calipers, MC, junction block and proportioning valve with a rubber mallet many times throughout this. See below for an explanation of my "endless bubbles" Jim had it right earlier.....

After thinking about this tonight, here's where I think I am:

All the "endless bubbles" I reported were, I think, air getting in the bleed valves at the seat as fluid rushed out. It made no sense that it was "new air", because the MC tested air-free. Here's how I solved that mystery: I wrapped Teflon tape around all 4 bleed screws, and the air bubbles ceased! I tapped the calipers with a rubber mallet, no new air.
    I bled all around today, 5X, no air at all. YET, my brake pedal continues to bottom out, and I have virtually no braking power.

So, I can only conclude that either:
    1) my master cylinder piston is the wrong spec. It does bolt up perfectly, but it is a bit shorter. The piston action is the same as the OE MC. I checked that when I had them both on the bench.
    OR
    2) the booster rod is somehow not extending far enough into the MC piston.

Can anybody confirm for me that the booster rod does indeed telescope in and out? I just wonder that maybe I don't have it set right--maybe it needs to be set so that it's rigid.... This would explain the long pedal and no braking power.

Concerning my earlier statement about the OEM MC exhibiting the same symptoms, well, now that I think I've solved my "air" mystery, I need to re-install it and see how my brake pedal feels. It's been so long ago I forgot my findings at that time!

20. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Pap. So, the booster rod does indeed telescope? It's not supposed to be rigid? I wonder if my booster rod is not pushing the MC piston far enough in...

Thanks,
    Greg

Damn, this thread is now 120 posts long... Sorry :(

21. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    +1 for the old guy. Never underestimate an old guy with a big hammer.

Greg~ If you have a spare section of line with a fitting, you can simply fold the end over twice and hammer it down. It may leak slightly, but should hold pressure long enough to determine if the problem isnt to large of calipers. I second the post calling for pictures. Show us what your dealing with, it may be the second set of eyes you need.

22. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    The booster rods moves the MC rod/piston. The new master cylinder is larger diameter right? Is it longer in anyway compared to the old MC? Or the same length as the old MC? Are you saying that you may not have enough stroke on the new MC?
    Dont worry about the 120 posts mate. We have a thread in the Aussie section abou an oil leak that has over 1500+ posts. :D

23. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Paul,
    Good idea, I'll try that. Not sure what you mean by "too large of calipers".
    They are larger than stock, but my OEM MC worked OK w/ them, but that's why I'm doing this whole thing--to match a bit larger MC to my Wilwoods.

Pap,
    The new MC is 25 mm versus 23 mm for the OEM. The case itself is the same circumference, but measuring the front seal opening, it's just a bit larger--the bore is slightly larger.

The reservoir holes and mount holes are identical to OEM.

It's a bit shorter than the OEM MC. This may or may not be a factor--don't know if that last 1/2 " of the OEM MC is critical to piston sweep.

Does the 308 series from 1976-85 use the same master cylinder/booster? This would be good to know--maybe I have the wrong master cylinder. It was sold to me as a "308 master cylinder", no year specified.

Thanks,
    Greg

24. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I just read an old 308 brake booster thread post where Philip Airey said that the booster rod clearance/slack had to be re-set when you R & R the master cylinder.

Does anybody here know anything about that? That could be my problem!!

Thanks,
    Greg

25. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Hi Greg
    Page H10 of the 308 WSM has details of the adjustment between booster pin and the MC. The pin is threaded, and is thus adjustable. The other way to adjust this is by the linkage between pedal and booster. This same page has an excellent drawing of how the whole unit works.

My MC had been replaced at one time with a Dodge racing MC. (They split the booster and put one section on from a Dodge.) This worked ok but it was not until I started doing track events that I realized the brakes were not great. After doing the pin clearance adjustment the brakes came out great (and my track events are much more enjoyable given that I can now go deeper into the turns :)

If you want to replace the splitter block (NLA), there is a thread somewhere here detailing my replacement using a Volvo 240 part.

Gerrit